• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both trucks have been neglected. The contact truck has been driven once since the GA. Rally and the ambulance I can't even remember. So, yesterday I took the contact truck up to the next county and back. My left knee wasn't liking the clutch pedal at all. Parked that and jumped in the ambulance. Despite sitting for months (and it looks it), it started right up. Took it up to the next county and back as well. Just so you know, it still has FL fuel in it from March when it was brought up to GA. Going to need to drive a tank out and freshen it up.

Attachments

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used it to haul a free 300 gallon fuel tank to north end of ranch.
It's a ton more stable back there strapped down than it looks.
The CUCV bed cargo tiedowns are very handy.

Free gun safe is in trailer. That will go elsewhere.

IMG_5385.jpg

Last edited:

iacucv

Ditched the threaded insert idea for my grenade t case shifter knob. Went out to the shop and decided to see how the Miller liked the cast metal... Worked pretty good. Not the prettiest weld but solid, still learning this new welder. Put some self etch primer on it, clocked exactly how I wanted it with no shimming. Paddle to the left so you can firmly grab the body of the "grenade" to shift. Will try to post pics soon. Also picked up insulation for the shop, gotta make it warm enough to get my floor pans replaced this winter!

Loco_Hosa

Welded the front diff

Thursday I Attacked the front diff of my M1009 with my welder.

Many many people have never tried a welded front and tell me how bad it is. With manual locking hubs I feel a welded diff is a fantastic solution!

Spent the weekend in the mountains playing with snow and ice. My M1009 with less than $750 invested was the best performing vehicle out this weekend.... Except for when it comes to stopping in the snow.

Hal O'Peridol

Put in a new driven gear for my speedometer. Now, instead of having no idea how fast I am going on the highway, I get to choose between 45 and 65 miles per hour.

Driven gear for the M1009 is the 41 tooth mustard yellow one. No parts houses carry them. Called a transmission repair shop, they don't have them either. Owner said he got them off of Amazon when he needed one. SMDH.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Put in a new driven gear for my speedometer. Now, instead of having no idea how fast I am going on the highway, I get to choose between 45 and 65 miles per hour.

Driven gear for the M1009 is the 41 tooth mustard yellow one. No parts houses carry them. Called a transmission repair shop, they don't have them either. Owner said he got them off of Amazon when he needed one. SMDH.
The speedo needle in mine wave at me while I'm driving, then reads anywhere from 5 to 10 MPH too fast. I just look at the GPS on the dash for speed. I can also turn on the K-band radar unit and it'll display my speed. It's one of those repairs that's prioritized so low it'll never get done.

cucvrus

I have had great success just putting cable lube on the cable after pulling it out and then reinstalling the cable. Happy Holidays. Good luck. Spray a little cable lube into the speedometer head. Don't go crazy. The cable is a bit dry after 30+ years.

cucvrus

10 bolt locker.jpg
Thursday I Attacked the front diff of my M1009 with my welder.

Many many people have never tried a welded front and tell me how bad it is. With manual locking hubs I feel a welded diff is a fantastic solution!

Spent the weekend in the mountains playing with snow and ice. My M1009 with less than $750 invested was the best performing vehicle out this weekend.... Except for when it comes to stopping in the snow.
I think at $100. I would take my chances with a bought locker. Welding does not seem like a good option for long life and longevity even off road. I can see many issues with that method. Maybe demo derby but that's as far as I would trust it. I like things done right first time. Or not done at all. Happy Holidays. My M1009 off roads just fine. I am sure a few members can attest to that.

Last edited:

richingalveston

I have an eaton e locker and yes any front locker makes the truck awesome.

I thought all of the parts in the diff were heat treated and thus not good to weld on but I don't know it all.

please reply to this thread when it fails, I will hold out on any judgement till then.

keep an eye on your hubs, I have a problem with the left one locking on its own. I pulled it apart and checked, can't find anything wrong and there is not a bunch of grease build up so no reason but it keeps happening (warn's are in my future). With one hub locked, your front drive shaft is going to spin, thus you might have premature wear and MPG loss. If it is just a trail rig and not DD then probably nothing to worry about.

Thanks
Rich

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks