• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drove my 4.56 geared 1009 2.5 hours on the turn pike at 65 mph from north lima ohio to home, tomorrow morning I work in toledo, ohio, then off to Dayton, ohio Sunday night. Averaged 15 mpg. I just love this old truck! But a 700r4 is in the future.
Did you swap the gears or buy it that way?
4.56s in a M1009 isn't stock.

3jumpjeep

Just changed the oil and filter on my M1028A2. It was 300 miles overdue. A little chilly today, but at least it's not raining. Now if that wind would just stop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are telescoping. One setting will get them 13 ft above ground the other setting will get the tip to 20 ft above ground.
We made them so they will fit in the bed during transit.

The mast on the front grill guard will go to about 20 ft as well and can have a NMO or a 3/8"x24 thread antenna mounted to the top.
Or I can put a different set of clamps and mast to get the center of an HF inverted V antenna about 30 ft up.

Attachments

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tested the new antenna masts on the S-250 Shelter.
Still need to make up the coax cables to the VHF and UHF antennas. Maybe tomorrow.
View attachment 664145View attachment 664146View attachment 664147View attachment 664148

Why Yagi? Mobile would work better with an omnidirectional antenna, IMO....

I usually run LMR240 in my mobile installs, but I'm assuming you have some LMR400 laying around? :p How are you going to handle the length difference when extended vs retracted?

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
VHF and UHF contesting is more commonly horizontal polarization. Additional gain and the ability to have good front to back radio to null out unwanted signals is easier with a yagi. I was testing the turning radius to ensure that the 2 antennas would not hit each other when mounted at the same height.

For more conventional modes, repeater, simplex and the like, I will use a vertically polarized antenna.

As for coax, most likely use 8213 or LMR 400. The length of the transmission line will accommodate the higher setting of the antenna height. The difference is only 7 feet. 7 feet of LMR400 at 144 MHz is .1db of loss, at 450 MHz it's only .2db of additional loss. Not enough to worry about for my applications.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The length of the transmission line will accommodate the higher setting of the antenna height. The difference is only 7 feet. 7 feet of LMR400 at 144 MHz is .1db of loss, at 450 MHz it's only .2db of additional loss. Not enough to worry about for my applications.
I meant the physical length, ie coil it up, not the RF loss... :p

corvette9

My 1028A1 had a radiator fail last week. I installed a new Rad. inc all new hoses. Considering all the cooler lines it was a very easy job. The old one was copper brass. That sucker was heavy. The new one is alum.with plastic tanks. Much easier to deal with. Job all done and back on the road.

cucvrus

I prefer the plastic / aluminum radiators to the heavy old copper brass radiators. Glad to hear that DUDE is still in the game. The fact that DUDE had the radiator out before and was never-seized on the oil cooler lines helped a great deal. I have been having a snapping good time with the oil cooler lines lately. I have scored a few extra ones at the YOUPULLIT. they fit from any GM 6.2 diesels I see. I mostly get them from school bus G vans and P vans. Anything that had a 6.2 diesel in it has the lines. Good to hear that all worked out for you. Have a great day.

corvette9

I prefer the plastic / aluminum radiators to the heavy old copper brass radiators. Glad to hear that DUDE is still in the game. The fact that DUDE had the radiator out before and was never-seized on the oil cooler lines helped a great deal. I have been having a snapping good time with the oil cooler lines lately. I have scored a few extra ones at the YOUPULLIT. they fit from any GM 6.2 diesels I see. I mostly get them from school bus G vans and P vans. Anything that had a 6.2 diesel in it has the lines. Good to hear that all worked out for you. Have a great day.
I was very happy to see the new rad was alum. All the cooler lines came apart like new. I also anti seized all the line fittings. I took Dude for a ride today to make sure all was good. Job complete.

cucvrus

DSCF2519.jpgDSCF2520.jpgDSCF2521.jpgDSCF2523.jpgDSCF2522.jpgDSCF2525.jpgDSCF2524.jpgDSCF2534.jpgDSCF2526.jpgToday I went on I 81 and the Mule M1009 had a bit of trouble maintaining the 80 MPH I like to run at times. It ran good until yesterday on the way home it surged a few times. And then just went fine again. Today it was 26 out and I thought maybe I had some bad fuel and it was gelling. Well bad fuel is an under statement. All is well that ends well. I installed a new fuel filter and took it out for a run. It has been clogging for a while. Well I have neglected it for 3+ years. I rebuilt the engine and the entire drive-line but never changed the filter. No worries. It runs very good now. Notice the foam on the pressure switch. That thing never leaked so I just let it alone. Have a great day. This truck starts every time except when it gets to single digits. Then i don't even bother trying. I drive the new truck.

Attachments

gottaluvit

Have to figure out how the low coolant light started coming on intermittently, with the radiator completely full. Don't see a sensor on the overflow tank but looks like it's time to hit the TM combined with common sense. Darn TM can lead you to an empty wallet if you aren't careful.

Yesterday used the M1008 to pull an M1102 roundtrip to Lockborne, OH. Was glad to see two pallets fit in the trailer sideways. Then the low coolant light came on five miles from home. I just cranked up the heater so I would know if it got dangerously low by a loss of heat.

cucvrus

I would take a look at the right side of the radiator. About 1/2 way down towards the engine side is a probe that sticks out. That connection may need a bit of cleaning. I have had that is the past. Nothing that cleaning the connection and putting a dab of dielectric grease could not solve. Good Luck.

computer54

My truck is a 93 Chevy 4by4 with a 6.2 l in is that I got from Govplanet and had to rebuild the transmission andthat was last 2 years and got it back from Aramco in May and runsgreat and replaced arm armrest,radio,speakers and mirrors and now Ineed to paint it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks