• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

DSCF2537.jpgI had a friend stop by and ask if I could check his glow plugs. No problem. I pulled them all out and bench tested them like I always do. DSCF2539.jpgDSCF2540.jpgI used the old battery charger test method and all 8 worked but 1 had a strage way of getting hot. It got hot back at the threads and at the tip. I could smell plastic burning when it got hot. I got it real hot just to show the burn pattern. No flash lights out.DSCF2541.jpgCan you see the hot at both ends and not in the middle? He started it with magic spray to get here and I replaced 1 glow plug and he was here a few hours messing around and when he went to leave the wait light came on and it started right up. That was easy. next week we would like to put this fuel pump on. It would be the pump and filter all in one easy to maintain assembly. DSCF2538.jpgNot sure what it was made for but it was in a box of parts a friend gave me. That glow plug getting hot at both ends is a prime example of why I always remove the glow plugs to test them. This is not the first time I have encountered this. It don't take me but about 15-20 minutes to R & R the glow plugs and replace the ones that are bad only.

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

Today I got the truck out for a test run of a couple things.
Stereo tuned for best listening experience, carburetor tuned to run with the new filter and new fuel return line so no more over fueling, and then I bout ran out of gas. Luckily I always keep a few cans full at the shop. Turned around went back, dumped one in and all is well.
Tomorrow I have a long hard run to make up to Nashville TN hopefully all will go well.

rustystud

View attachment 665225I had a friend stop by and ask if I could check his glow plugs. No problem. I pulled them all out and bench tested them like I always do. View attachment 665227View attachment 665228I used the old battery charger test method and all 8 worked but 1 had a strage way of getting hot. It got hot back at the threads and at the tip. I could smell plastic burning when it got hot. I got it real hot just to show the burn pattern. No flash lights out.View attachment 665229Can you see the hot at both ends and not in the middle? He started it with magic spray to get here and I replaced 1 glow plug and he was here a few hours messing around and when he went to leave the wait light came on and it started right up. That was easy. next week we would like to put this fuel pump on. It would be the pump and filter all in one easy to maintain assembly. View attachment 665226Not sure what it was made for but it was in a box of parts a friend gave me. That glow plug getting hot at both ends is a prime example of why I always remove the glow plugs to test them. This is not the first time I have encountered this. It don't take me but about 15-20 minutes to R & R the glow plugs and replace the ones that are bad only.

That fuel pump looks like an old 1960's to 1970's Chevrolet. I always like that style.

computer54

it is but look in govplanet.com and check KY. and yes but the one I got had a new cover and side rails on it. But they (Army) did not but the cover on right, I got it home and but on right. and the other trailer was a 105 but was sold to some one else.

lostinutah

Swapped gen 2 alternator, serviced throttle shaft o rings (fixed my hard starts), doghead starter relay, ran 12v bus behind glove compartment for radios, soldered old radiator and replaced leaking one, swapped new aluminum heater core for the original from my 85 (blows hot now), installed mushroom intake on the hood, new brakes, and hood pins. Was a fun few days.

lostinutah

Been riding for a few days. As I posted before the hard starts are almost nill, if I keep the fuel above 1/4 tank. But I am still having a loss of power uphill. And it is drastic. How can I test my injectors to see if they need replaced? I bought a laser thermometer, what are the normal readings/where I should look for at the engine? ......Oh yeah, and I got stuck in 6ft of snow. I thought it was hard packed...I was wrong. Sunk a couple feet and a sheriff helped snach me out. Man I love getting stuck.

cucvrus

DSCF2524.jpgDSCF2525.jpgDSCF2522.jpgDSCF2523.jpg
Been riding for a few days. As I posted before the hard starts are almost nill, if I keep the fuel above 1/4 tank. But I am still having a loss of power uphill. And it is drastic. How can I test my injectors to see if they need replaced? I bought a laser thermometer, what are the normal readings/where I should look for at the engine? ......Oh yeah, and I got stuck in 6ft of snow. I thought it was hard packed...I was wrong. Sunk a couple feet and a sheriff helped snach me out. Man I love getting stuck.
I would take a look at the fuel filter or the sock in the fuel tank. The above pictures show what I found in my filter. I had slight sluggish acceleration and that was the root cause. Simple fix. It runs like a totally different vehicle now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks