• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

85CUCVtom

I installed a new proportioning valve and failed at bleeding the brakes. I think I tripped the shuttle valve inside the proportioning valve. Looks like I'm taking stuff back apart later this week to get this junk back on the road.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
B77D15B6-9B3E-49A1-84FF-43D45E4D70FA.jpg

Drivers side bumper blackout light had been acting up.
Was a bad ground.
Fixed now.

Also tighten #1 alternator belt.
It squeaked a bit on startup this morning.
Then of course the normal PM oil level checks.

Hooked up the tan M101A2 trailer.
Sat under trees for a week.....yuk

Tomorrow everything gets a bath.

wbdodgeiv

Motor pool paint job. I pulled a few dents, fixed a soft spot on the top, sanded 120grit, washed, masked, sprayed. Did body work Saturday and masked, Sunday sprayed two coats of green then brown and finished with black. I’m super color blind so it was really hard. I used Behr paint per the thread in the bodywork forum.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Motor pool paint job. I pulled a few dents, fixed a soft spot on the top, sanded 120grit, washed, masked, sprayed. Did body work Saturday and masked, Sunday sprayed two coats of green then brown and finished with black. I’m super color blind so it was really hard. I used Behr paint per the thread in the bodywork forum.
How did the Behr paint work out?

tbearatkin

Replaced the ignition lock so anyone with a military key can no longer start my truck. Also painted the whole floor with Herculiner.
Has there been a rash of CUCV thefts. When I purchased my latest from the Police dept they were amazed when I handed the keys they gave me to the wife told them I already had a key and started it up. They said they had no idea the keys were the same for all of them.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has there been a rash of CUCV thefts. When I purchased my latest from the Police dept they were amazed when I handed the keys they gave me to the wife told them I already had a key and started it up. They said they had no idea the keys were the same for all of them.
Very rural junkyard near me, guy commented on mine- said he drove them in the military. Offered him the key and he laughed and showed me the key he still had on his key chain.

tbearatkin

Very rural junkyard near me, guy commented on mine- said he drove them in the military. Offered him the key and he laughed and showed me the key he still had on his key chain.
The key I used for my first M1009 was to the M1008 I drove in the Seabees still has the vehicle Navy number on it. Still use that key. Almost all Seabee mechanic and EO's from the 80's 90's prob still have a key on their key chain or laying around in their gear somewhere

Last edited:

LT67

Tis why I changed the ignition on both of my M1008's...

cucvrus

After over 20 years of CUCV ownership I liked the easy route. 1 key for the many I deal with and work on. I feel comfortable and secure in my world. Everyone is NOT even giving the CUCV a second look. It may look cool but most people I know and deal with don't want one or would ever think about stealing one. It would be a hard vehicle to conceal and fit in with. If your going to steal a vehicle steal a stock civilian one. It don't stand out as much. Good Luck.

Tskeff41

Hey guys. Just a quick question, I have a 86 M1028. It won’t start and the accessories won’t even light up, headlight won’t turn on etc. so I checked the batteries, one was low so I bought another one. Once I put the terminals back on. A wire starting smoking from two separate places and both alternators, what could this be?

german m1008

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys. Just a quick question, I have a 86 M1028. It won’t start and the accessories won’t even light up, headlight won’t turn on etc. so I checked the batteries, one was low so I bought another one. Once I put the terminals back on. A wire starting smoking from two separate places and both alternators, what could this be?
......stupid question........ you connected the batteries correctly?IMG_3269.jpg
12V
IMG_3270.jpg
24V

MarcusOReallyus

This needs to go to its own thread, folks. This is NOT the place to do diagnosis. This thread is basically for chit-chat about what work we've done on our trucks.

If you don't know how to post a new thread, here's the skinny:

Go to the main page of the forum, then look for the big orange "Post New Thread" button at the upper left. Click it. That's it.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers

Maybe a quick question but definitely not a quick answer.
This isn’t the thread for your question.
Start a new thread in the CUCV forum.

Also suggest you download the free Technical Manuals available on this site as that will have a troubleshooting section.
Reading the old threads will help immensely as your issues have been encountered and discussed before.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks