• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

LT67

That's a beast. I like it. I had a milemarker 10,500K hydraulic winch mounted in much the same way. When I tore my truck down to rebuild it I found that I was tearing one of the bumper mounts.

If I can find the pictures I will edit and add them here later. In my case because the axis of the pull was above the bumper mount it always pulled down. That caused the top of the bumper mount (behind the humper) to start to tear.

Edit: Damn. I never took any pics of the winch mount or the damaged piece.
With the 8274 up front, I'll have to pay attention when I park...

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a tip. If you have the engine hanging that low in the mounts may I recommend swapping a set of Energy Suspension motor mount inserts in the housings. That will always be a wear point on the fuel pump and line. The drivers side the stud on the dipstick will touch the frame or get real close when the motor mounts are worn. I replaced many of these. And while you are at it do the transmission transfer case mounts. All these rubber bushings are worn out at this point.
I think I'll go with the duralast and save a few bucks. I'm not as convinced with the energy suspension parts or the other polyurethane parts makers.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordered paint and took the rear leaf spring packs apart too clean and paint them... 1 broken leaf on the left side and 3 on the right side. I guess it's time for new ones. Went on Rock Auto to get an idea of how much it would set me back. €1200 euros including shipping and import fees. Contacted USA2YOU and got a quote for 2 leaf packs from SD Truck Springs. About €970 total. Later on I got a message I could get it down another €235 if FedEx picks it up directly from SD Truck Springs. That comes down to about $900.

Meanwhile Swfb offered 2 used spring packs. If they're decent, I might use those or make 2 good packs out of 4.

IMG_20201230_190527.jpg IMG-20201231-WA0012.jpeg IMG-20210102-WA0011.jpeg

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Meanwhile Swfb offered 2 used spring packs. If they're decent, I might use those or make 2 good packs out of 4.

View attachment 822668 View attachment 822667 View attachment 822669
That's what I would do. There's nothing wrong with swapping leafs as long as they are the same type/length from an identical spring pack. Sure beats paying for over-the-ocean shipping. Besides, Swfb will probably need all new spring packs when he gets that Supercharger installed. :p I rebuilt my rear spring packs in 2011 - https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/kinda-got-carried-away-m1028-rebuild.54469/post-872784 .

cucvrus

Ordered paint and took the rear leaf spring packs apart too clean and paint them... 1 broken leaf on the left side and 3 on the right side. I guess it's time for new ones. Went on Rock Auto to get an idea of how much it would set me back. €1200 euros including shipping and import fees. Contacted USA2YOU and got a quote for 2 leaf packs from SD Truck Springs. About €970 total. Later on I got a message I could get it down another €235 if FedEx picks it up directly from SD Truck Springs. That comes down to about $900.

View attachment 822668 View attachment 822667 View attachment 822669
Man if you were closer I have 4 decent spring sets from an M1008 Plow truck. They were used 1 year before it was crashed. That ride to Europe would be a killer. Take Care and Good Luck.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man if you were closer I have 4 decent spring sets from an M1008 Plow truck. They were used 1 year before it was crashed. That ride to Europe would be a killer. Take Care and Good Luck.
I'll wait and see what Swfb has to offer. If yours are better I could have FedEx pick those up instead of new ones from SD Truck Springs.

My mates M1008 is missing the brackets that are just behind the engine mounts, maybe you have those as well? Pretty sure we'll find more things missing that you might want to get rid off. Plus the parts we talked about before.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bring them with you when you come to WA to collect that lunch I owe you.

If you tie them all together they can be your carry-on.

HelluvaEngineer

Good thing you still have any flesh and hair. I use a torch and heat the nuts and remove them. Too many eye injuries with a plasma cutter in tight areas like that. Hope you are OK.
I cut the fronts off, then hammer them through with a punch. I have one of those ubiquitous auto shade helmets so I turn it all the way to the lowest shade setting. It protects my face but not the top of my head. I watched a cool YT video of a trade school instructor doing a much better job with an oxy rig. Looked like he was scraping layers of butter. I'm not that gifted.

Salty dog

Thanks to the wire harness I get from Cucvrus I was able to repair my rear tail lights, there was a short in the old harness. Turn the headlights on and the turn signals would not work. With the lights off turn the right turn signal on and the back left running light would flash. With his help I was able to replace the harness and get the lights working correctly.

Cucvrus I owe you once again a huge Thank You for the generous help

LT67

The 24 volt 28MT starter is installed on the 85 M1008. It doesn't turn as fast as the 27MT, but as long as it starts without issues I don't care.

cucvrus

The 28 starter MT turns faster. It has a gear reduction. Remember the old school Chrysler products? The 27 MT will take more abuse has been my experience. But if you need to crank more then a few revolutions you have other issues that need addressed. Keep the CCA of the batteries in check and the starter will last a long time. And throwing a few brushes and other parts into an old starter does not constitute a rebuilt starter. I have been to a starter rebuilding shop. There is a lot of equipment that gets used and that is why some starters last and some don't. Just like everything done half fast it will bite you in the end. Good Luck and Take care.

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 28 starter MT turns faster. It has a gear reduction. Remember the old school Chrysler products? The 27 MT will take more abuse has been my experience. But if you need to crank more then a few revolutions you have other issues that need addressed. Keep the CCA of the batteries in check and the starter will last a long time. And throwing a few brushes and other parts into an old starter does not constitute a rebuilt starter. I have been to a starter rebuilding shop. There is a lot of equipment that gets used and that is why some starters last and some don't. like everything done half fast it will bit you in the end. Good Luck and Take care.
I’ve got a brand new gear reduction unit sitting in my parts bin. Bought it years ago thinking I would use it someday on a super 6.5. However when I began assembling my new P400, I had an original CUCV starter rebuilt to the tune of $240. It’s now hanging beside the P400 girdle ready to spin the horses. I agree with you Rick - nothing beats original American made parts. If an engine needs to turn over more than a couple times when warm, there are other problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks