• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

I don't know but I do it all the time. I don't know if the speedo is 100% accurate but I am still going to 75-80 at times and most people are not passing me. I don't want to debate this again. But I do a lot of over the road driving on interstate highways in the M1008. And I did the same in my M1028A1. 173K miles. It now has another owner and driver. Have a nice day.

rsh4364

:beer::jumpin::jumpin::naner
How did you get a m1008 to 75mph??

Thanks
75mph 4.56 gears+31" tires=3706rpms.You gonna try it? LOL. With 3.73 you would be at 3032rpms.The 3.08 1009 will be spinning about 2500 rpms.And for every 1" in tire height increase you can decrease rpms by about 60 rpms.

Last edited:

the skull

I'm not sure I want to start this up....but....that speedo has
NO clue what size tires are on your truck.
75 indicated is really scootin along in 3 tons of 30 year old
80's technology. No disrespect intended here folks. I'm
just saying.

cucvrus

009.jpgI wanted to post this rear M1009 U-joint picture in an attempt to help out another member that has a vibration coming from the rear of his M1009. Take note to the proper installation on the C clips on the U-joint trunnions. They must be on the rear U-joint of the M1009 to keep it properly centered in the differential yoke / straps. I hope that helps some people that may be having a vibration from the rear drive line. I learned it the hard way after the rear was overhauled the vibration was still there. The C clips were missing and that was all that was wrong all along. Thank you for looking. Have a nice day.

chief1983

I learned the very hard way when those missing clips ended up destroying shaft #2 and putting a hole in my muffler. They're not pictured in the TM which might be why they get omitted but they're definitely required for a safeand reliable installation.

rsh4364

I'm not sure I want to start this up....but....that speedo has
NO clue what size tires are on your truck.
75 indicated is really scootin along in 3 tons of 30 year old
80's technology. No disrespect intended here folks. I'm
just saying.
I cant speak for the 1008 crowd,But Im more than comfortable driving my 1009 at 75 plus mph,if brakes, tires and susp.are up to snuff.Thats with GPS not speedo.The 1009s really have good brakes and susp.My 85 1009 has 33x10.5 and its sweet spot is 65mph,the 86 1009 I just bought and have only driven a few miles Im not sure about yet.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed the plastic bushings on the door strikers, now my doors close with just a push. I was needing to slam them so hard I was worried the window might shatter. I was about to call a body shop to get them aligned but dang if they didn't look like they were aligned just fine to me. Some internet research led me to replace the striker bushings, which were missing on the truck when I got it.

The parts store had the cheap Help! product by Doorman but they only had a four pack for Fords, so I got that. I used a 14mm deep socket to drive it onto the striker. Working great and it's nice not slamming the doors all the time.

Striker.jpg

Last edited:

CUCVLOVER

I installed the plastic bushings on the door strikers, now my doors close with just a push. I was needing to slam them so hard I was worried the window might shatter. I was about to call a body shop to get them aligned but dang if they didn't look like they were aligned just fine to me. Some internet research led me to replace the striker bushings, which were missing on the truck when I got it.

The parts store had the cheap Help! product by Doorman but they only had a four pack for Fords, so I got that. I used a 14mm deep socket to drive it onto the striker. Working great and it's nice not slamming the doors all the time.

View attachment 563844
I know what I'm going to be getting.
Thanks for the pic

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tossed a tire... tread separation blowout... on my M1031.. @ 60MPH

and realized...

1. It's fairly easy to control, even missing a tire.
2. People are #(&#(&, and think they're more important, passing you as you're trying to get to the shoulder with a blown tire.
3. Once ON the shoulder, even with triangles up, people will ignore them and drive as close as possible to you, in violation of state law.
4. The factory jack and lugnut wrench SUCK, hardcore....WSP stopped by for traffic control and volunteered a 4 way wrench, which made things a LOT easier....
5. The factory jack WILL dig into blacktop on a hot day, causing a corner to dip, and the rig to become unstable when tightening/removing lug nuts..

jpg

The factory jack and lugnut wrench SUCK, hardcore....
You're not the first person to discover that the factory tire changing tools are inadequate. I'm glad it worked out for you.

GM 1-ton lug wrenches are a sick joke, in my experience. I bought a big breaker bar and lug-nut socket, that I keep in the truck. I'm larger and stronger than average, former offensive tackle, and I couldn't begin to budge a lug nut with the factory wrench.

I recommend every driver change a tire in the driveway once, just for the experience, and as an equipment test. My daughter shredded a tire once, and we found that her lug wrench was too thick to work with her after-market wheels. I had to bring sockets and a breaker bar out to her, on the side of the road, in the dark. It was my bad. I'd bought her a set of mounted snow tires, and I never checked to see if the lug wrench worked with those new wheels. It just never occurred to me that it might not. Now she has a breaker bar and thin-wall lug nut socket in her trunk too.

I had taught her how to change a tire, with her summer wheels. The winter wheels just had a smaller hole than the lug wrench could enter.

max1008

View attachment 563844
I need these as well. I will check HELP next time im at the store. But from what you said you just slam them over the existing pins? You didnt need to remove the striker pins?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need these as well. I will check HELP next time im at the store. But from what you said you just slam them over the existing pins? You didnt need to remove the striker pins?
Yes, they unscrew with a torx bit, I forget which size though. Mark the location or just pay attention to the marks on the paint when you reinstall. I put the pin head-down on the concrete floor, put the bushing on, positioned a 14mm deep socket on top of the bushing, then tapped it on using a few stout raps with a hammer. That shaved off some plastic from inside the bushing but it didn't crack.

The proper ones are cheap enough, about a $1 or so online, but I wanted immediate so I used what they had.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
3. Once ON the shoulder, even with triangles up, people will ignore them and drive as close as possible to you, in violation of state law.
I like flares myself, like a stack of two or three of them. There's something about red hot burning stuff that seems to deter people. ;)

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like flares myself, like a stack of two or three of them. There's something about red hot burning stuff that seems to deter people. ;)
HAZMAT training drilled into my head says fuses aren't always best... :p

When I got them for free, it was fine.. Now that they're like $10 for 3 of them.. Meh....

Collapsible LED road cones are my next idea...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks