• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Another Ahab

Still need to do this... My headlight fuse keeps melting when headlights are on. Headlights off, no burning plastic smell..
That same problem was just mentioned in another thread on here recently. But memory is not my strong suit; oh WELL. :shrugs:

But if I remember right, the solution was taking a diode and maybe one other component, out of the wiring leg.

Is this ringing a bell to anybody else?

RobM36A2

Melting, it gets hot, burning plastic smell. But it stays in one piece.
Had it pop one time, @ 11pm, had to drive with my flashing beacons to the nearest gas station (200ft) for a fresh fuse.

It is very dark without ANY lights :whistle:

RobM36A2

Horn diode, and take the headlight and horn loads out of the question by using a relay harness for both.
Going to do the headlight relay thing next weekend. If the weather clears and in between car meets and birthdays..
Horn suppressor already removed when i replaced it with 2 jaguar horns.
Gonna be a busy weekend.
I can buy all the components local, so no need for an expensive order-online-and-wait-for-an-x-amount-of-days kit

tim292stro

Moving the horn and headlights to relays with their own fuses under the hood will remove >200Watts of load from that single fuse (almost 17Amps) - leaving the rest of the lights as the only load where a 20 Amp fuse will be adequate.

Were I to have designed that Service/Blackout Control, I would have put a few bistable latching DPDT (or 3PDT) relays to switch the loads, then a locking SPDT toggle switch or three guarded push-buttons (Serivce, All Off, Blackout) to pulse the relay coil to change state. No power drawn by the control except while changing state, the only power drawn otherwise would be the loads. With relay interlocking you can ensure that only the lights/devices you intend can light or sound when you want them.

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of radio equipment is all that?
Thanks

The top radio is a RT-1439 / PRC119 mounted to an MX10062 in a MT-6576 Mount. The radio is also attached to a MT-6353 Amp Mount that has a AM-7238 Amp for long distance transmitting. (This is all operational)

I have a dummy KY57 wired into the PRC119 for looks only.

The bottom Radio is a R841 / PRC77 mounted on an AM2060 Amp / Power supply. (This is operational also)

I'll take a more current picture tonight of the dash mounted controls for the PRC-119.

I just wish that more people around me talked on the 6 meter band.

Bert

CUCVLOVER

The top radio is a RT-1439 / PRC119 mounted to an MX10062 in a MT-6576 Mount. The radio is also attached to a MT-6353 Amp Mount that has a AM-7238 Amp for long distance transmitting. (This is all operational)

I have a dummy KY57 wired into the PRC119 for looks only.

The bottom Radio is a R841 / PRC77 mounted on an AM2060 Amp / Power supply. (This is operational also)

I'll take a more current picture tonight of the dash mounted controls for the PRC-119.

I just wish that more people around me talked on the 6 meter band.

Bert
Cool thanks.

So what does all that stuff do?
My Understanding of radios is limited to FM ie: stereo.
Thanks

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool thanks.

So what does all that stuff do?
My Understanding of radios is limited to FM ie: stereo.
Thanks
Both radios transmit and receive on the 6 Meter band between 50 - 54 MHZ. This is located near the bottom of the VHF band that us Amateur Radio operators use.
The neat thing about this frequency range is that May through August you experience changes in the earths ionosphere "F" region. This tends to refract (bend) the radio signal so that you get much greater range.
Typically these radios are for a very short "line of sight" radio communication.

Bert

max1008

Both radios transmit and receive on the 6 Meter band between 50 - 54 MHZ. This is located near the bottom of the VHF band that us Amateur Radio operators use.
The neat thing about this frequency range is that May through August you experience changes in the earths ionosphere "F" region. This tends to refract (bend) the radio signal so that you get much greater range.
Typically these radios are for a very short "line of sight" radio communication.

Bert
What licenses do you need to operate these frequency's?

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can start as a "Technician" which is the entry level.

PLEASE NOTE: Both of the radios have many more frequencies that are OFF limits. Operating on the restricted frequencies can / will result in a knock on your door from some not so nice Guberment Officials.

Bert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks