• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

jpg

removed the in-tank fuel sock. It keeps clogging every 4-6 months. Its a napa fuel sending unit, ive had problems with it ever since I installed it. So i pulled it off and i am searching for a good in-line fuel filter to go before the fuel pump.
Forgive me if I state the obvious, but if tank crud keeps clogging your sock, in addition to filters, you may want to clean out your tank...

cucvrus

cleaned it 3x last year. It will be much easier to change a filter than to lift the bed.
I must agree that it is much easier to change a filter. But really in the long run it is much easier to do the repair correctly and resolve the issue in the fuel tank. With a little ingenuity you can reposition the fuel lines and add some length to the rubber hoses. You would not need to remove the bed to do that. I would keep the fuel sock on the pick up line. What problems are you having with the sending unit? Not much to have problems with on a sending unit. It either measures the fuel level or it don't. If not replace it and test it before you put it back in the tank. The problem could be somewhere else in the wiring or the fuel gauge in the cluster itself. I had Terminus M1009 out and was driving it in the mud and crud and the fuel gauge was at the 3 o'clock position all day. I brought it home from the mud fu and checked out underneath at a few other concerns. I noticed the ground wire to the sending unit of the fuel tank was non existent. That may be the issue with this unit. I will tell when i do more work on that. Well time to get back on the road. The Mule is not what you would call a relaxing long drive machine. Nor is any CUCV as far as that goes. Even with the best Bose stereo in it it has a sound like an orchestra in a box car. 11 hours in the tin can. God there got to be another way. Hey i think that is a song. Wow. Now I am a musician to. Good luck with your fuel problem if it were mine. I would fix it right and be done with any further issues. But it is your truck. Do as you wish. Time to get back on the road. I hear the Detroit diesel calling me again.

max1008

I replaced the sending unit due to a non-working fuel gauge. Gauge works excellent now. I have been battling with this fuel sock for over a year with it clogging. I feel like it is maybe a "defective" sock. So I ordered a 6 micron fuel filter for the frame rails, and a 3 micron main fuel filter. That is much better then the sock and a 12 micron that is on there now. I feel this is a much needed improvement for these trucks. 12 micron is nothing, that will allow sand and silt to pass right through into the injection pump.

cucvrus

With well over a million miles of driving CUCV's behind me. I find it hard to think that anything you listed had any effect on the vehicle or would effect the vehicle in anyway. The existing stock filtration system works fine when maintained. At 30 years old some extra measures of maintenance would be needed. The fuel sock is the easiest and least expensive to repair and keeps the simplicity of the entire fuel system in check. Throwing money at every problem just adds to the operating costs and basically does what the original system has been doing all along. Right now I am in the process of burning 300 gallons of Diesel fuel that a local trucking company removed from the fuel tanks of a 2016 freightliner because the cap was off the one tank and driven about 50 miles in the pouring rain. The new truck picked up the water in that distance and triggered a light water in fuel. 75 gallons into the fuel and several CUCV's burning it up daily and no water in fuel lights missed here. I told my Son it was like someone giving me $750. cash tax free. It was in a 600 gallon tote and it would have cost them $1000. to dispose of. I am happily disposing of it for free. I added 2 gallons of power service to the tote. I have been running it in 4 vehicles and burned about 125. gallons thus far. the container is opaque and the diesel is yellow/green and looks cloudy. Nothing these old dinosaur CUCV's are going to complain about or trigger a sensor. I was driving in north east PA yesterday and on a lot of hilly secondary roads. It never missed a beat. It only smoked at night when I could see it in the head lamps of the cars behind me. We are pulling the fuel off the top of the tank and still see nothing in the bottom. Good find for us. Do as you wish with your truck. Our camp will stick to the original design and fix things as they come along. But 30 years and cleaning out the fuel tank and changing the fuel sock I can live with that. Back on the road again. The steel echo chamber with the Bose home stereo with XM sounds like a $5 transistor radio I had as a boy in the 60's at Woolworths.

Last edited:

Lizard Dog

Radio? I thought that Detroit 6.2 was music!
Sometimes you want to change the station! :driver:

I got a Altec Lifejacket bluetooth speaker that I use in the M1009 (and all my vehicles since none have stereos). It's advertised as "waterproof, dustproof and shockproof". Even has provisions to mount it, (to the dash for example), but I haven't got around to that yet...

Not exactly cheap... $150 or so, but I've really enjoyed having it.

Screen Shot 2015-11-10 at 7.36.04 AM.jpg

SgtHaas

I got a Altec Lifejacket bluetooth speaker that I use in the M1009 (and all my vehicles since none have stereos). It's advertised as "waterproof, dustproof and shockproof". Even has provisions to mount it, (to the dash for example), but I haven't got around to that yet...

View attachment 593175
This is an excellent alternative to installing a radio and speakess. I love mine. Mounted it just above the radio plate mount on the dash. That way I can listen to Spotify or pandora. Or blue tooth phone calls.

Cantos

If you take a Bluetooth speaker, take this one here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XHPtv9-PO6E

But it is about 1000€......

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of adding more DBs to drown out other DBs, I just filter out the bad DBs and add the preferred DBs. I use ear buds.

Another Ahab

Right now I am in the process of burning 300 gallons of Diesel fuel that a local trucking company removed from the fuel tanks of a 2016 freightliner because the cap was off the one tank and driven about 50 miles in the pouring rain. The new truck picked up the water in that distance and triggered a light water in fuel. 75 gallons into the fuel and several CUCV's burning it up daily and no water in fuel lights missed here. I told my Son it was like someone giving me $750. cash tax free. It was in a 600 gallon tote and it would have cost them $1000. to dispose of. I am happily disposing of it for free. I added 2 gallons of power service to the tote.
Now THAT there is a gift from the gods. Sweet.

How did you hear about the deal; right place at the right time!?

Another Ahab

Year, you can link some of the rocksters.
I love this kind of entertainment.
I'm not exactly sure how we all got here, but it is now a universal expectation:

- If you're inside of a car or truck (or anywhere for that matter: in stores, restaurants, you name it), there should be music. :shrugs:

Another Ahab

Well time to get back on the road. The Mule is not what you would call a relaxing long drive machine. Nor is any CUCV as far as that goes. Even with the best Bose stereo in it it has a sound like an orchestra in a box car. 11 hours in the tin can. God there got to be another way. Hey i think that is a song. Wow. Now I am a musician to. Good luck with your fuel problem if it were mine. I would fix it right and be done with any further issues. But it is your truck. Do as you wish. Time to get back on the road. I hear the Detroit diesel calling me again.
Put a little fiddle and some pedal-steel behind it, and you can't go wrong.

Go for it; you just might go viral! :clinto:

tim292stro

As someone who did car stereos, live sound for bands and studio recording, and only has one good ear (unrelated to both <--), make your M1009 quieter :beer:

Underhood noise generation (engine, fan, accessories), exhaust noise (insufficient muffler, pipe reverberation), and interior surface vibration and reverberation are the issues I've found with my M1009.

Attachments

max1008

As someone who did car stereos, live sound for bands and studio recording, and only has one good ear (unrelated to both <--), make your M1009 quieter :beer:

Underhood noise generation (engine, fan, accessories), exhaust noise (insufficient muffler, pipe reverberation), and interior surface vibration and reverberation are the issues I've found with my M1009.

That is on my long list of items!!!

Another Ahab

As someone who did car stereos, live sound for bands and studio recording, and only has one good ear (unrelated to both <--), make your M1009 quieter .
I hear you, tim292 (I mean you know, so to speak. :mrgreen:

I ran across some science article the other day that essentially said that once your hearing goes, nothing (currently) can bring it back. The ear cannot repair itself.

So the best medicine?

- Guard your hearing like a hawk. No one else will do it for you.

That was pretty much the whole message.

gottaluvit

View attachment 593175
So what's the sound quality? Any descent bass? I heard a tubular boombox once that sounded like a home system with 12" subs. It is possible, and that price tag isn't too rediculous on what you spoke of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks