• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

cucvrus

Sound quality in any of these CUCV's is terrible. If you look at the trucks of yesteryear and the trucks today. From an interior stand point. When you rode in any truck back in the pre 80's ,90's you could tell what color the truck was factory painted or its prominent color by the color of the metal window posts, metal roof, metal lower dashboard. It was all steel and basically just steel painted and nothing else. Sit in a new truck. New as in 2005 newer or maybe a few years back from that. it you were to tape the windows and not be able to see the hood or exterior sheet metal. You would be hard pressed if not unable to tell the exterior color of the vehicle. Color is not my point. My point is that steel has very poor sound quality as does bare fiberglass and steel combined. The newer vehicles have the speakers mounted in the doors or b pillars and are all packed in nice and neat with sound deadening insulation and soft trim on the upper dash the head liners and the door panels. The speakers are mounted in a sound reverberating material that allows the sound to come forward not reverberate back into the steel box of the cab and then escape when ever and where ever it can. Thus better sound and less tin ear experience. I am in a rest area right now and today I decided to remain silent in the cab no radio. The trip was less stressful. The ear buds are an option. I never wore any and probably never will. Maybe it is my age. The loudness of the vehicle and the stereo made yesterday a stressful and long day. I am over the mileage of yesterday and almost home. I am enjoying the trip much better with just the road noise and the vehicle sound. I am not wearing ear plugs but that is an option because I have some with me. I like my CUCV very much but am glad this was just a trip I made just to check the old Mule for reliability and see if it could be trusted. Someday when I retire I want to drive it to Alaska or South America if possible. I have had a lot of questions and compliments on my 2 day trip and seen a few CUCV's along the road for sale. I stopped at everyone. I drove 2 of them. The people knew nothing of the trucks and were oblivious to what they were. The one was an M1031 it had no exhaust and was charging on one alternator. The inside cab/body was filthy and the guy did not know how to work any of the PTO equipment. If anyone is interested in that one PM me and I will point you in the right direction. It did run and it drove. I drove it. But it needs work. Not tons but work on just about everything like the others I looked at they were M1009 toasted rust piles. Cut and torn up in every shape and form. I drove the one and the seat was about to fall thru the floor. He was desperate to sell. I was not as desperate to buy. Every CUCV conversion know to man even the manual crank flywheel option. He crawled under it and cranked the flywheel because the teeth were missing at so many places. The starter stayed engage once it was out there. But he started it with either and it hit redline every time. Nice. I heard the banjo's playing and figured I better get back on the trail /road. Well 1/2 an hour and 35 miles and i am back at the barn. Gotta go. Drink plenty of water/Stop every 100 miles. Get the point.

tim292stro

Also new vehicles have their cavities filled with soft foam rubber. Any movement of any body panel surface results in absorption by some form of dampening - they even fill the pillars with foam now so they don't sing like a tuba. For the cars that got THX rated (I've done some work with them, and saw their first car that got certified), they even go so far as to place acoustic diffusers and absorbers all over the vehicle. They breaks up the standing waves, like what you see in a studio, so that you don't get frequency peaks while driving...

diffuser_absorber.jpg

Think about the distances of things in your trucks - any distance from one object to another is probably a sound wavelength (20Hz is about 650 Inches, 22kHz is about 6/10ths of an Inch - speech is around 1kHz or 13 inches). If you have a lot of distances that are the same (roof to floor in pretty consistent, so is doors to doors...), just like a laser light in a ruby rob, the sound will bounce back and forth between those surfaces - the frequencies that match the distances most closely will be the most efficient at continuing to bounce. If a positive wave runs into a negative wave it cancels out where they meet but continue on, if there are many waves at different phases they will have less apparent energy (but you can also get harmonics of they are off by nice neat numbers: 2, 3, 4, 5, etc...).

Absorbing is literally converting the acoustic energy into heat, by allowing the sound wave to move an object (doing work). Diffusing is basically shattering and scattering - you want as close to entropy (random noise) as you can get, the wooden diffusers in the picture above make sound reflect at different times due to the different heights of the prisms - a sound wave hitting one of those will reflect into not less than 144 different waves - each 1/144th of the original wave's energy and all at different time delays (phases).

This can be taken into the extreme in a studio setting, like this cabinet:
diffuser_cabinet.jpeg

But in a truck, you can put a smaller diffuser under the seats, behind them in a truck, under the dash, or make the interior roof into one... If you don't like the look, put it behind an acoustically transparent fabric. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a reminder to everyone on this site.

While most of us are not prudes, nor live under a rock, this site is a family friendly site (never know who is reading the posts). With that being said foul language is heavily frowned upon.

The F-bomb and any iteration of it (spelled incorrectly, abbreviated or not) will not be tolerated and will get you into trouble. A new user just had a post deleted and a warning issued (I would have given him an infraction point).

You are more that free to use colorful language but don't do it here. Pirate4x4 has many users that use it as their primary vocbulary.

Last edited:

Lizard Dog

So what's the sound quality? Any descent bass? I heard a tubular boombox once that sounded like a home system with 12" subs. It is possible, and that price tag isn't too rediculous on what you spoke of.
Not great, haha. I enjoy it at low speeds, like high-traffic commuting around town or putting around the outdoors. Also great in the shop. On the freeway trying to compete with this truck, (see cucvrus's post above), it has to be turned up so loud it's just not pleasant. It can work though, and I've found some material just sounds better than others.

My background is also in audio. I don't expect to achieve great sound here, mostly just break up monotony when I'm spending lots of time in the truck. Also, as previously mentioned, when I have a truckload of buddies out camping or four-wheeling, the little stereo is a bit hit. When I'm alone I often just wear ear protection to keep fatigue down. Makes a huge difference for me.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Worked on the 86 1009 today.Trying to get more heat,discovered the cable for going from hot to cold setting not attached to lever on heater box,re-attached cable and went to adjust hot to cold and something broke behind heater control panel.Now I know why it was not connected,cable seems to be frozen up.At least I have excellent heat now.Also worked on brackets for my tanks style block heater,which I can install when weather permits.High wind next 2 days,35-70 mph gusts.Thats enough to blow hood down on your head.

Last edited:

thz71

Just a reminder to everyone on this site.

While most of us are not prudes, nor live under a rock, this site is a family friendly site (never know who is reading the posts). With that being said foul language is heavily frowned upon.

The F-bomb and any iteration of it (spelled incorrectly, abbreviated or not) will not be tolerated and will get you into trouble. A new user just had a post deleted and a warning issued (I would have given him an infraction point).

You are more that free to use colorful language but don't do it here. Pirate4x4 has many users that use it as their primary vocbulary.
It was me I'm the newb.

CUCVLOVER

I can definitely agree with the making you swear.

I had to spend the day with my mom so I drove the green machine I meet her at the mechanic that she took her Toyota sequa to. We did a few things in town but anyway I had the truck decorated a little today.
KIMG0004.jpg
I had the two American flags on the brush guard and one big one up on the head ache rack and one battle flag.

I had a couple veterans salute the flags and had good comments on both.
I had a guy about my age ask about the flags and the truck he liked them.
The flags are held to rings on the poles by zip ties. I have never had a problem with them breaking. I don't know if the tie broke or was cut but the when I went in Walmart the flags where OK when I came out the American flag only had the top tie. So I got up there and fixed it, when I got in the truck I found a note under the wiper. It said "Thank you for flying the flags please fix the US flag and I like them both. Thank you a US veteran'

I didn't see who wrote the note but I was deeply touched by it.

Thank you to all the veterans

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith_J

Got the springs back for the rear of my 1031. Re-arched to the correct height plus new shocks means proper ride height. I can aim the headlights, for one.

But still have to install the beasts. The -34 is wrong, these are the same springs as a 1028. HEAVY..

Lizard Dog

Yesterday I finished replacing power steering and oil cooler hoses on my m1009.I'm a knucklehead, but still, that was challenging.

I'd procrastinated this job, but all of the hoses had Class II leaks and besides making a mess of my pretty engine compartment, I didn't want any of them to fail catastrophically.

POWER STEERING:
PNs: 71093, 91866

Hose from the hydro-boost to the steering box is accessible and easy.

The hose from the hydro-boost that attaches to the back of the PS pump was very tricky. Ended up removing the small bracket that mounts the pump to the block and then sticking a skinny hacksaw blade up there and sawing the old aluminum hose off. This allowed me to spin off the coupler/adapter that the hose is threaded into, and then once on the bench I could get the leverage, (and the hammer), to separate them.

OIL COOLER:
PNs: 625-155, 625-154

These Dorman hoses did not fit my truck. Who knows why, seems like most have used those PN successfully, but the connectors at the oil filter were not the correct size for me (too small). I ended up having a hydraulic hose shop make me new hoses from my old ends. They quoted $65 EACH, but ended up accepting $100 cash for both. More than I anticipated paying, but I was in a pinch.

For my skill level, this was a tough job. Most difficult was just keeping my cool laying under my truck for three mornings working in tight spaces with fluids everywhere. BUT, now that it's done and cleaned up, it's great. Had a four-hour drive yesterday and when I'd check those hoses and see them bone-dry and leak free it was a good feeling.IMG_0004.jpgIMG_0002.jpg

gottaluvit

I can definitely agree with the making you swear.

I had to spend the day with my mom so I drove the green machine I meet her at the mechanic that she took her Toyota sequa to. We did a few things in town but anyway I had the truck decorated a little today.
View attachment 593518
I had the two American flags on the brush guard and one big one up on the head ache rack and one battle flag.

I had a couple veterans salute the flags and had good comments on both.
I had a guy about my age ask about the flags and the truck he liked them.
The flags are held to rings on the poles by zip ties. I have never had a problem with them breaking. I don't know if the tie broke or was cut but the when I went in Walmart the flags where OK when I came out the American flag only had the top tie. So I got up there and fixed it, when I got in the truck I found a note under the wiper. It said "Thank you for flying the flags please fix the US flag and I like them both. Thank you a US veteran'

I didn't see who wrote the note but I was deeply touched by it.

Thank you to all the veterans
I had only the U.S. flag on yesterday as I ran errands in town. Did get a couple respectful waves. However, I noticed I got sour looks from a few vets wearing hats designating such. This took me back to 1984 when I was riding in the vehicle that my recruiter drove to do rural recruiting work. We saw a civilian wearing a BDU field jacket and he went into a rant saying civilians shouldn't be allowed to wear the military uniform. So I now wonder if there are more folks than I ever realized with a mindset thinking these trucks should be scrapped rather than sold to the general public (be a vet or not)? I always hold the notion, "once a soldier always a soldier". I even know civilians that are ready if their nation needs them as was done early on in our nations history. Okay, enough of my rant, but I do believe not everyone is in agreement with us having this former military iron. Then again, I am in the Upper Ohio Valley, have lived here most of my life, but always feel the negativity when I come back, compared to the rest of the nation/world. Maybe it's a local thing. So I guess we should drive most respectfully as we are very much seen in camo.

20151111_130508.jpg

Another Ahab

I'd procrastinated this job, but all of the hoses had Class II leaks and besides making a mess of my pretty engine compartment, I didn't want any of them to fail catastrophically.
I always just figured that either a hose:

- Leaked, or

- It didn't.

You mean there's an actual classification system for leaking hoses?

Another Ahab

I had only the U.S. flag on yesterday as I ran errands in town. Did get a couple respectful waves. However, I noticed I got sour looks from a few vets wearing hats designating such. This took me back to 1984 when I was riding in the vehicle that my recruiter drove to do rural recruiting work. We saw a civilian wearing a BDU field jacket and he went into a rant saying civilians shouldn't be allowed to wear the military uniform.
Hey, you don't know for sure:

- Maybe all those guys just returned together from a group colonoscopy or something.

And THAT was the reason behind the sour looks. You know, it COULD be. :mrgreen:

Another Ahab

Class III Leaks are what I get when I see the MV restorations of people like Tinwoodsman.

I guess I ought to get myself a drool-cup for when I check out the threads of folks like him.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is possible that the reaction you received was caused by the location of your flag, having nothing to do with your M1008. According to http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE-90/pdf/STATUTE-90-Pg810.pdf, the American flag is to be flown attached to the passenger side front bumper only.

I had only the U.S. flag on yesterday as I ran errands in town. Did get a couple respectful waves. However, I noticed I got sour looks from a few vets wearing hats designating such. This took me back to 1984 when I was riding in the vehicle that my recruiter drove to do rural recruiting work. We saw a civilian wearing a BDU field jacket and he went into a rant saying civilians shouldn't be allowed to wear the military uniform. So I now wonder if there are more folks than I ever realized with a mindset thinking these trucks should be scrapped rather than sold to the general public (be a vet or not)? I always hold the notion, "once a soldier always a soldier". I even know civilians that are ready if their nation needs them as was done early on in our nations history. Okay, enough of my rant, but I do believe not everyone is in agreement with us having this former military iron. Then again, I am in the Upper Ohio Valley, have lived here most of my life, but always feel the negativity when I come back, compared to the rest of the nation/world. Maybe it's a local thing. So I guess we should drive most respectfully as we are very much seen in camo.

View attachment 593601

gottaluvit

It is possible that the reaction you received was caused by the location of your flag, having nothing to do with your M1008. According to http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/STATUTE-90/pdf/STATUTE-90-Pg810.pdf, the American flag is to be flown attached to the passenger side front bumper only.
Interesting to know. That might be a slight hazard there, so maybe no flag is best. I thought it best to be on the rear for safety and the left to adhere with the rule of the American flag being the first from left to right (the order we read).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks