• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove my M1009 down to the firehouse in Port Orchard this weekend and upgraded my amateur radio license from Tech, to General, and then to Extra.

gottaluvit

950 miles/25 hours in the right lane.
Has anyone thought of installing cruise control?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I was just having this conversation yesterday inroute to Columbus. I had it on my last truck ('86civy Chevy) and I miss it bad. It had a gasser 350 and lower gearing than the 4:56 so I had to set it at 45 mph. It never saw interstate either.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on passing the Extra class license exam!!! :) Upgrading from Tech to General is on my to-do list. I barely use the Yaesu FT-78000 that I installed in my M1009. I turn it on once a month just to make sure it still works. I still check in to the local ARES net every Monday night just to keep up with that group.

I drove my M1009 down to the firehouse in Port Orchard this weekend and upgraded my amateur radio license from Tech, to General, and then to Extra.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on passing the Extra class license exam!!! :) Upgrading from Tech to General is on my to-do list. I barely use the Yaesu FT-78000 that I installed in my M1009. I turn it on once a month just to make sure it still works. I still check in to the local ARES net every Monday night just to keep up with that group.
Thanks! My Tech ticket had less than a year left, and it's been slow around the office, so I started studying for General. That went so well (and knowing they would offer me the Extra exam when I passed) I figured I'd look over the 700 questions in the pool for Extra; at least go in armed. Just kept running the online flashcards and practice exams. I doubt I'll ever use the additional privileges, although I have been eyeing a 10 & 12 meter radio to go with the 2 meter and 70cm already in the M1009.

3jumpjeep

Thats averaging only 38 miles per hour
Fuel stops are extended so the dog and I can recoup. The first 70 and last 40 miles weren't interstate. I also did breakfast in Virginia. Thanks for crunching the numbers. Only lost 12mph average off the 50mph cruise speed. I'm happy with that.
I was jonesing for cruise control this week. Wouldn't have been worth much in the mountains but I had 450 miles each way that I would have really enjoyed cruise.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

GunnyM1009

Got invited to a band performance at a local Country Club/Marina you should have seen the security guards face when I rolled up in Gunny. He was ready to turn me around till he realized I was on the list. It was awesome seeing Gunny parked among alot of BMW's, Mercedes, and Cadillacs and the occasional 70k pickup trucks.

Last edited:

iacucv

Well after some wrench time, my new to me m1009 is nearly up to snuff. New glow plugs, gp relay, gp terminals, belts, some terminal cleaning, dog head mod and resistor bypass. Just missing a starter bracket and it should be good to go! Also installed some Vision X headlights, waiting for the new headlight harness along with some floor pans and a new dash cover. Coming along.

RobM36A2

Powerwashed the M1028 on my parents driveway a few days ago, half a cubic yard came from under the truck :whistle:
After getting home I started to free the Hella lights I had lying around, from their lightbar.
Some job, as there was a lot of cable and rotten bolts.
Then I went to see where to put them on the truck and found a good place, the holes were already there :cool:.
Next is a relay for the headlights (still didn't get to it) and when that is done, bolt on the lights.
Verstralers.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stopped by the National Guard to visit.
More than a few guys wanted my M1008.
The really young soldiers E1-E3 could care less.
E-5 and above were the ones really interested.

They were checking it out while I was looking at a brand spanking new HUMVEE.
One of them is watching Govplanet now to get his own M1008/28

Last edited:

kkcshipp

Replaced rear drive shaft u-joint to stop the squealing and angry birds. Drives like a champ again...but my son has it driving to HS everyday. Amazing to hear people talk about that thing as we go into a store or restaurant. ****, one guy pulled along side us on the highway just to say thanks because it brought back memories of when he was in the Army and drove one from Bremerhaven to Vilseck as a Postal Vehicle.

howardc

Finally got around to fixing my rear window crank. Fashioned a couple square washers and got a bigger screw on one side that was stripped. I still baby it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuak

Painted rear cargo area, spare tire mount and inner tailgate, replaced tailgate cables and filler neck gasket, installed jerry can holder for the tool box and a weatherstrip seal kit, also cleaned the windows.

IMG_1178.jpg

PJL

Dropped a fuel tank and pump into the bed for fueling equipment. Need a new filter though before I can use it. The bowl was half full of water and no filter. No wonder they pulled it out of service.

Drove it around a race track a few times. Not very exciting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks