• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

RobM36A2

Update on the shifting issue:
Replaced vacuum lines with rubber fuel hoses, as the parts store did not have simple small rubber lines.
I did need to shave the lines down to fit on the regulator, but it was all air tight.
Also, I used clamps to make air tight seals on the plastic connectors.

Testdrive went good, very smooth shifting, afterwards on my trip for lunch, shifting got harder and later again.
Maybe a small vacuum leak. Going to retighten the clamps and put some silicone sealant on the connectors just to be sure.

@Rutjes: I am near Eindhoven. You sure you got a M1028 and not the more common M1008?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@Rutjes: I am near Eindhoven. You sure you got a M1028 and not the more common M1008?
It is a M1028. I bought it thinking it was an M1008 until I saw the data plate in the door which was a nice surprise. It could off-course be a replacement door but max weight on license card is 4267 kg (M1008 would be about 3080 kg). VIN also suggest M1028 (1GCHD...) and it has a NP205 transfer case.

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Update on the shifting issue:
Replaced vacuum lines with rubber fuel hoses, as the parts store did not have simple small rubber lines.
I did need to shave the lines down to fit on the regulator, but it was all air tight.
Also, I used clamps to make air tight seals on the plastic connectors.

Testdrive went good, very smooth shifting, afterwards on my trip for lunch, shifting got harder and later again.
Maybe a small vacuum leak. Going to retighten the clamps and put some silicone sealant on the connectors just to be sure.

I found 99.999999% of parts store people don't realize what they have behind the desk-windshield wiper hose is the same as the rubber vacuum hose- it is cut to length as it normally comes in a 25 or 50ft roll.

But at least it seems to be vacuum related, and not a bigger issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobM36A2

It is a M1028. I bought it thinking it was an M1008 until I saw the data plate in the door which was a nice surprise. It could off-course be a replacement door but max weight on license card is 4267 kg (M1008 would be about 3080 kg). VIN also suggest M1028 (1GCHD...) and it has a NP205 transfer case.
M1008 would be around 3500 as car, and obviously more now it is registered as a truck. Mine is now 4263kg max weight.. same truck, 4kg difference..
Try jacking up the front axle, lock the hubs and spin 1 wheel. there should be a limited slip diff in there. (result is 2 wheels spinning in the same direction)
What is your tow rating, according to the RDW? Mine 2722kg.

But at least it seems to be vacuum related, and not a bigger issue.
Well, let's hope so, this was the most easy fix and needed to be done.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing I did to my M1009 today is pull the studded snow tires off and put the BFG ATs back on.

I also finished making the back-up lights for my Grand Cherokee. The visibility out the back is really bad, and I wanted some aux lights. I did not want to hack up my factory wiring harness or run wires for a switch. My solution is to use the 7-pin trailer plug. It has a good 12v source, ground, and a pin that gets 12v when the shift lever is put in R to trigger a relay.

I dremeled the mounting tab and corners off a relay to make it fit inside the trailer plug. It's a tight squeeze but now I have completely portable aux lights on the back of my jeep- and a step to boot!

Attachments

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008 would be around 3500 as car, and obviously more now it is registered as a truck. Mine is now 4263kg max weight.. same truck, 4kg difference..
Try jacking up the front axle, lock the hubs and spin 1 wheel. there should be a limited slip diff in there. (result is 2 wheels spinning in the same direction)
What is your tow rating, according to the RDW? Mine 2722kg.
Exactly 2722kg tow rating as well. (I have a 4000kg Rockinger hitch (vangmuil) laying around that I want to put on it. Might try and get tow rating adjusted to that). Not sure if I get the chance to lift it up soon, any other way to tell if it has a slip diff in there?

Btw., I sometimes use it to tow trailers from my work. Those are rated at 3500kg but I have weighed one once, it was 7180kg. I estimate that I pulled at least 6000kg based on the load at the time and the truck had absolutely no problems with it. No highway towing sofar tho... Wouldn't even dare to with the current 40mm pintle hitch I put on temporarily instead of the 50mm nato pintle.

rdw.jpg

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Did a little chore for my mom, went to get a sofabed for her. The bed of my Chevy was big enough for the little thing.
Still shifting late, but did not have the opportunity to seal the vacuum tubes. Maybe this saturday, or go to the parts store for wiper fluid tubes, as suggested a few posts back..
And noticed the glowcard is going bad or having bad contact, because it made some weird noises..
Oh well, it's an old truck, figures some things break now and then.

Not sure if I get the chance to lift it up soon, any other way to tell if it has a slip diff in there?
No highway towing sofar tho... Wouldn't even dare to with the current 40mm pintle hitch I put on temporarily instead of the 50mm nato pintle.
The Rockinger hitch, good luck with that, RDW will say some difficult things like install airbrake system.
And the pintle is "unknown" according to them. So no tow rating on the pintle, only the normal hitch.
There is another way to test is there is a limited slip diff in there, but not so good for the drivetrain, just lock the hubs, put it in 4x4 and try to make a turn :mrgreen:
I did some towing with mine, The carnaval parade, but also hauled some cars on a trailer.
Towed a GMC CCKW for a few miles, no problem getting it going, the stopping part is another story.
Also I got a M101 with shelter on it, that one I tow on the pintle to the UK. You can see that in my avatar.

Assel

took the CUCV for a final spin today....tomorrow I´m going to take the license plates off :shrugs:

(temporarily, dont worry, my dad just bought a car and now my M1009 cant be in his insurance as placeholder anymore :D so I have to get an own ...kinda tricky & expensive in germany so I have to figure out how that works first before I can drive the ole chevy again.)

DSC_5929.jpg

Another Ahab

(temporarily, dont worry, my dad just bought a car and now my M1009 cant be in his insurance as placeholder anymore :D so I have to get an own ...kinda tricky & expensive in germany so I have to figure out how that works first before I can drive the ole chevy again.)
Good luck with that, Assel. [thumbzup]:beer:

RobM36A2

Pulled the glowcard, as it lets the relay chatter after starting.
So now searching for the most simple way to bypass it, because without glowing, my truck will not start. :(

Also used some silicone putty to close all the possible places where the vacuum tubes can possibly leak.
Now to let it dry and go for a testdrive when time permits.

Always fun with the old stuff.

MarcusOReallyus

The card controller works fine. If yours is not, get a new one. If you insist on breaking a good system, there's a sticky on exactly how to do it.

MarcusOReallyus

I had the same thing happen to me. Thought I had a 1008, found I had a 1028. Check your springs to be sure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks