• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

mtperkins

Thinking about fixing that little plastic tab that broke off the instrument cluster which holds the gear shift indicator cable .

But here in NY truck is covered in 30 inches of snow and the garage has a tractor in it with no hydraulics.

LT67

New AC Delco 60 glow plugs and fixed the leaking line going to the inj pump on the 85 M1008. Hopefully both M1008 trucks are good to go mechanically. The only thing I really need to do soon is rebuild the bench seat in the 86 M1008 with new foam.....

Keith_J

Getting ready for a bad winter storm. Great rubber on the 1031, Cooper Discoverer MAXX ST 255 85 on 8 inch reproduction rims. Now they will pay off.

LT67

Getting ready for a bad winter storm. Great rubber on the 1031, Cooper Discoverer MAXX ST 255 85 on 8 inch reproduction rims. Now they will pay off.
Had those in 235 85 16 on my 79 K20. Great tires, but if I did not air down for off road they did not bite into the ground very well.

Keith_J

Thankfully the 1031 air compressor is perfect. I have a 50 foot hose reel and a Milton inflator with gauge.

The 1031 is going on a propane run. Have to stay warm

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
265/75-16 Load Range C tires on the CUCV. Adequate?

A tiny bit narrower and a tiny bit taller. Just not sure if the M1009 is too heavy for Cs.

There's a set of studded tires available locally, already mounted.

Keith_J

A tiny bit narrower and a tiny bit taller. Just not sure if the M1009 is too heavy for Cs.

They will do just fine if you have 16 inch wheels. 1009 isn't but 6500 max GVW.

LT67

An M1009 had 15x8 wheels from the factory and used C rated tires. They're nowhere near as heavy as one of the trucks nor would they haul the weight of a truck. C rated tires will do just fine.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spent all morning shoveling the snow off the driveway and sidewalks, and at 57 now it seems to take a bit longer. We got dumped on, probably 6"-8" which isn't much in some places, but it is here.

Later in the afternoon I drove out and picked up the tires. Four good tires and 16" wheels for $400- already mounted and presumably balanced. The guy bought a new truck but the old snow tires were hitting the calipers. I got them home and mounted them on the 1009 and went for a ride in the snow-covered streets. So far they seem to be very good tires.

NewSnowTires1.jpgNewSnowTires2.jpg

Keith_J

I spent all morning shoveling the snow off the driveway and sidewalks, and at 57 now it seems to take a bit longer. We got dumped on, probably 6"-8" which isn't much in some places, but it is here.

Later in the afternoon I drove out and picked up the tires. Four good tires and 16" wheels for $400- already mounted and presumably balanced. The guy bought a new truck but the old snow tires were hitting the calipers. I got them home and mounted them on the 1009 and went for a ride in the snow-covered streets. So far they seem to be very good tires.

View attachment 825785View attachment 825786
Nice. Studded too.

Keith_J

After clearing all windows, made it into work tonight..even though the GM shut down work. Not everyone has 4wd.
Roads are ice covered. Kept speed under 35 MPH. Only spun/slid when testing for traction. Kept it in 4 high.

Now 5 inches of snow. All 254 counties of Texas are under a winter storm warning. 11°F. Now 8°F

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

It went from bad to worse, weather wise. Rolling blackouts turned to 24 hours or more without power. Burned 18 gallons of diesel and had the 1031 SECM generator supplying 2 other houses. When it is in the teens and you have no power, it sucks.
Glad to say we are back on the grid but I fueled up again because I have trust issues with the provider.
Also did 60 miles in the M1031, a LOT in 4H. Refreezing tonight with rain. Already 24°F. Cloudy but good northern wind.

Aside from The Beast, a new Klein clamp around digital multimeter were the stars of the day. I diagnosed a failing pump motor, checked charge rates and verified phase balances on the generator.
All is fine on the frozen, snow covered Central Texas home.

Keith_J

Finally unlocked the hubs and what happens? More snow. Good news is I found diesel for 2.09, a Quick Trip near my mother's house. just 30 miles away but travel time is over two hours each way.

No close calls, just one issue with traction in two wheel drive. Back into four wheel drive for the rest of the trip.

Reactions: D6T

Sganderson

Thinking about fixing that little plastic tab that broke off the instrument cluster which holds the gear shift indicator cable .

But here in NY truck is covered in 30 inches of snow and the garage has a tractor in it with no hydraulics.
I literally just fixed the same thing last night . I drilled a small hole and put a screw in it to hold the cable. Found a screw with a smooth end .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks