• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Came across a Dana 70 dually axle. Picking it up tomorrow or next sunday. I want the D70HD so I don't have to use spacers for HMMWV rims I want. Front axle will then need dually hubs as well, will probably buy those from Hillbilly Wizard. As I already had my mind set on rear disc brakes, I want to try converting the D70HD to discs, but I can't find a lot of info about that swap in combination with (single) HMMWV rims... Guess I'll just have to try...

About to order some parts from ORD so I can continue on bolting the frame together. Stuck on that at the moment.

Still waiting for parts for my friend's M1008. Aparantly the storm in the Midwest is causing problems for FedEx worldwide. Packages are "stuck" in France.

In other news, I wrecked my K1500. Don't go blowing of steam in the snow/ice... There goes time and money that was supposed to go to the K30... Luckily I found donor parts quickly and someone to fix it up.

IMG_20210207_200652(1).jpg IMG_20210208_192955.jpg IMG_20210215_194314.jpg

cucvrus

Came across a Dana 70 dually axle. Picking it up tomorrow or next sunday. I want the D70HD so I don't have to use spacers for HMMWV rims I want. Front axle will then need dually hubs as well, will probably buy those from Hillbilly Wizard. As I already had my mind set on rear disc brakes, I want to try converting the D70HD to discs, but I can't find a lot of info about that swap in combination with (single) HMMWV rims... Guess I'll just have to try...

About to order some parts from ORD so I can continue on bolting the frame together. Stuck on that at the moment.

Still waiting for parts for my friend's M1008. Aparantly the storm in the Midwest is causing problems for FedEx worldwide. Packages are "stuck" in France.

In other news, I wrecked my K1500. Don't go blowing of steam in the snow/ice... There goes time and money that was supposed to go to the K30... Luckily I found donor parts quickly and someone to fix it up.

View attachment 826359 View attachment 826361 View attachment 826360
In the US that truck would be scrapped with that damage. I see newer stuff that has been scrapped with equal or less damage. Labor and parts to repair vehicles is high. Add an air bag or 2 and it is gone. In Pennsylvania it is a task to get a clean title from a wrecked vehicle. That reconstructed designations on the title makes most vehicles worthless. I was surprised to see when I sold my Crown of Thorns M1009 that they had a Carfax listed on it. Since I took it to the GM dealer for service and inspection when the Carfax was shown it listed every oil change and service I had completed and all the vehicle registration dates as well. Modern technology. You got to love it. We still have lots of snow and ice here in Pennsylvania. Good Luck with your repairs.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the US that truck would be scrapped with that damage. I see newer stuff that has been scrapped with equal or less damage. Labor and parts to repair vehicles is high. Add an air bag or 2 and it is gone. In Pennsylvania it is a task to get a clean title from a wrecked vehicle. That reconstructed designations on the title makes most vehicles worthless. I was surprised to see when I sold my Crown of Thorns M1009 that they had a Carfax listed on it. Since I took it to the GM dealer for service and inspection when the Carfax was shown it listed every oil change and service I had completed and all the vehicle registration dates as well. Modern technology. You got to love it. We still have lots of snow and ice here in Pennsylvania. Good Luck with your repairs.
If insurance would be involved, yes it would be at least be an economic total loss. I was playing in the snow on a secluded spot and must've hit a pothole. It threw me off course towards a streetlight. In a split second I had to choose to hit it with the front or the side. Guess in that split second I decided a door would be cheap enough to replace... I'm guessing the weight of the truck played a big role in the damage taken. No airbags deployed, if I hit it frontally they would've.

The B pillar has been pushed in and the rocker a little bit as well. I really like this truck so I don't want to scrap it. I know a guy who is confident he can fix it. He is VERY meticulous. He will keep feeling and hammering way past the point that I would think is good enough. I cut the complete rear side out of a donor truck from the roof down including to the bottom, the B pillar and a bit of the back side.

€ 75 for the door, € 100 for the side and € 250 for a bed I'm picking up tomorrow. € 425 total so far. I'm guessing I'll be out of pocket a little above € 1000 ( $ 1200) to get it fixed.

At least we'll have something to spent our time on while waiting for parts for the CUCVs. :rolleyes:

RobM36A2

Replaced the inline fuel filter my truck has, instead of the big one on the firewall.
Then tried to get the air out the high pressure lines, but after cracking open the injector lines, only drops of fuel came out.
I was under the impression that fuel needs to shoot out under force?
Am doubting the high pressure pump has died..

Needed to start the truck in sub zero temperatures last week, maybe the fuel gelled up and i pulled the lines and pump dry.

Oh well, after draining the batteries when trying to get the air out, they are now connected to a 24v charger for the time.
Coming week a buddy comes along to help with the issue.

SandM1010

started to renovate the rear camper on the M1010 this week. I converted it to a camper a few years ago but never changed the inside walls. Last summer I changed the ceiling and this week I removed the aluminum wall panels and 1" of fiberglass insulation. I added 1-1/2" ridged foam and fiberglass panels. the front wall has 3" of foam and the ceiling is tapered from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2". The aluminum walls were very cold in the winter.

Attachments

chevymike

started to renovate the rear camper on the M1010 this week. I converted it to a camper a few years ago but never changed the inside walls. Last summer I changed the ceiling and this week I removed the aluminum wall panels and 1" of fiberglass insulation. I added 1-1/2" ridged foam and fiberglass panels. the front wall has 3" of foam and the ceiling is tapered from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2". The aluminum walls were very cold in the winter.
Looking good. I am at this process in my M1010 build and haven't 100% decided on wall panel replacement. What fiberglass panels did you use?

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been coming across an ad for 8-bolt H1 rims for € 250 for a couple of weeks now. I never bid because I want(ed) 12-bolts, but I figured if he'd accept € 200 I'll get them. The D70HD hub sticks out way too far for my liking. I've read that 14-bolt hubs are a common swap, going to try that later today if I get the chance.

Disc brake brackets have been ordered.

IMG_20210222_202810.jpg IMG-20210222-WA0022.jpeg IMG-20210222-WA0025.jpeg

But first, I have to go to FedEx. Tonight is going to feel like Xmas! Some small stuff for me and everything else is for my friend's M1008. Lots of body panels, parts for serpentine swap, new timing chain, harmonic damper, cab/engine/transmission/suspension mounts/bushings.

Photo from Clint Rutjes(3).jpg Photo from Clint Rutjes(2).jpg Photo from Clint Rutjes(1).jpg Photo from Clint Rutjes(4).jpg

HelluvaEngineer

Didn't do much other than pay for the last two steps but finally got the M1009 back from the body shop for the exterior liner, then to the mech shop for the lift kit and 33's. Now I'm afraid the TH-400 is on it's last legs. It never ends. I've started work on refurbishing bumpers and I'm welding on that winch mount that winch mount that is sold on Ebay. Completely unrelated - anyone know of a source for plasma cut bridge plate numbers? I have the plate but not the other pieces. If I had a template I'd probably plasma cut then grind/finish my own. IMG_20210220_175942672.jpg

Also, I know that door line doesn't quite match up. I just replaced the pins and both doors close easily now but I can't see how that body seam ever matched without shims. I may shim it.

Oh, when I was welding in the new rockers I added those side steps. I reinforced the inner rocker with another sheet of 18ga steel then through-drilled it and welded in 1/4 bolts to mount the steps.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dropped of my shielding gas bottle to be re-filled and went on to FedEx. For some reason they didn't like my joke "I expected more and bigger boxes so I brought an extra bed"... Go figure...

IMG-20210223-WA0014.jpeg IMG-20210223-WA0012.jpeg

As we started this order back in November, at the time we hoped the parts would be in before Christmas. Due to personal/family issues of the middle-person, Covid, out of stock etc. it took way more time for the parts to arrive. Figured we'd have a bit of fun and put up a Christmas tree and take some fun photos for our WhatsApp group app.

IMG_20210223_192419.jpg IMG_20210223_192434.jpg IMG_20210223_192452.jpg IMG_20210223_192354.jpg IMG_20210223_192445.jpg IMG_20210223_192447.jpg IMG_20210223_192507.jpg IMG_20210223_192507.jpg

It actually did feel like how Christmas eve felt like as a kid!

All we need now is his rims back from the painter so we can roll his truck inside and start working on it! For now we just want to get it back on the road. New timing chain, waterpump and serpentine conversion. The body work can wait.

83k30

Installed a set of ORD/alcan front leaf springs, new bushings, brake lines, and calipers. Replaced the inner axles seals. Got the carrier to drop in by placing a small heater on the housing, and putting the carrier in the freezer. The temperature difference between the two was 100+ degrees. Spent the last couple of days welding a new headache rack and bumper. Still have things to do.

Attachments

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the stock box fuel filter with a brand new stock box fuel filter. It was time. I think I'll replace the stock air filter too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks