• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your CUCV today/lately - Part 2

Prepper_Pig

While trying to fix a shift timing problem I replaced the modulator on the side of the trans as well as the rubber boot that connects it with the vacuum line. While I had it off, I soaked the retaining bracket in Evaporust and gave it a thorough cleaning with a wire brush and some brake cleaner. After the rust was removed I hit it and the bolt head with a couple coats of Rustoleum 2-in-1 paint/primer before putting it back on.. Unfortunately the new parts didn't fix my shifting problem.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So.. after putting in the replacement engine, and putting the front clip back on.. and realizing how simple the wiring harness is..... I ran into an issue.

So, the side markers on the corners (not the park/turn signals up front) run through the major/minor of the parking/turn circuit. The side parking lights ARE NOT GROUNDED...except through the turn signal filament....which is now LED.. so it's not getting ground through there...

BUT, the driver side works normal, the passenger side had the turn signal on high and the side marker super dim.. So, where else would the side marker get a ground path from?

So, I spent hours chasing grounds... checking voltage and resistance at different points, and knew the LEDs were an issue. They are literally diodes, so they block voltage in direction, thus not allowing the return ground path through the filament that doesn't exist in LED but does exist in conventional bulbs. BUT.. as mentioned, the driver side worked fine...the circuits are identical for right and left sides, so it makes ZERO sense that the passenger side didn't work... So I literally followed the circuit... all the way through.. and.. realized the turn signal bulb in the cluster was out.... and there was my ground path that it wasn't getting... replaced the bulb, and it's all working...

Having redone the wiring for the engine, I also noticed my Gen2 light wasn't on...but it worked before I parked it over a year ago...and I just replaced the Gen2 bulb shortly before that...I Spent hours tracing that circuit, testing relay, etc.. I finally get to the Gen2 bulb socket in the cluster...and the socket and connections test good.... so I'm at a loss at this point....

I had just replaced the bulb in the turn signal indicator, and figured I had a couple spares so I might as well replace it while I have it off, even though I just replaced it... and... waddya know.... came right on.....

A good 6-8 hours of troubleshooting, over 2, 39 cent light bulbs....

GM engineers.... what were they thinking?

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after spending the better part of 2 months refreshing my M1028, I figured it was time for my maiden voyage. Drove from Sacramento to Las Vegas to Yermo and back to Sacramento,. Knowing I was looking at 55MPH or so max speed, I took the scenic route down the back side of the Sierras on 395. Truck ran great and I did hit 67 MPH down hill with a tail wind LOL. Love this truck and as soon as I get it washed up will take some pics and do a write up.

Thatwelderguy88

its been awhile since ive posted, or done any meaningful work to my m1008. been very busy in the shop with customer jobs and havent had much time, BUT....i have been collecting parts for my turbo swap and serpentine conversion and i have just about everything i need to do it now. my radiator support is pretty rough at the bottom so when i go to do the swap, im replacing that, fenders, and inner fenders while im at it. currently sourcing oem sheet metal since i feel these trucks deserve the real deal. as you know, all this work will turn into even more with a headlight harness upgrade, horn, and im sure some other electrical nightmare somewhere! :ROFLMAO: im itching to get some stuff done, but i did start it today, so that counts for something!

FrankenCub

Been too busy with other projects to do much with my 1008 but now kinda have to. Returned a plate compactor to the rental shop and before I got a mile away headed home had no brakes. Today looked for a leak, couldn't find it, even with someone pushing the brake pedal.
Started the truck and had him push again and found it leaking at the banjo fitting on caliper. Pulled the wheel and caliper is stuck. Oh well, bleader is rotted off anyway so no better time to replace everything.

Still haven't decided what to replace my roached box with though. Not much decent available in NY.
Did find a newer style Meyer push beam on a square body today in the you pull it yard. Hopefully I can get back there with some tools before someone else snatches it up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks