• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your FMTV or LMTV today

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What products did you use to insulate the doghouse?
DynaMat glued to the doghouse, DynaCore glued to DynaMat and itself. We taped the DynaCore seams, though that didn't work well, so pulled it out. It seems fine for now. She is much quieter, doing the inside is going to make her purr—

Last edited:

littlesfmtv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We added soundproofing over insulation under the doghouse in the engine compartment.

View attachment 912533

View attachment 912534
Cut down on the engine noise significantly.

Then we mocked up and installed brackets for our new seats. Once we are sure we like their location and height we will clean them up and make them pretty.

View attachment 912532

Last we pulled the brackets for tying down a squatted cab, no more clanking from under our feet.

She is starting to get a little more comfortable. Just about ready to start insulating and sound proofing the interior–
Looks good! Is that the dynacore product? I just installed the 1" thick dynacore and it's almost unreal how much it knocked down the noise. Now I can hear everything else that makes noise.

Attachments

littlesfmtv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rebuilt and recorded my locks. I had to build up were the spring attaches to the casting, as the castings are really soft and have worn down giving me the ole flappy paddle. Tightened up great and now with the new cores I have locking doors!

Attachments

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Confirmed we can easily fish wires through the 'A' pillar instead of running several up where they look ugly. Unless you want pictures of a blank interior 'A' pillar nothing to see. Move along, move along—

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And maybe a few brain cells:)
Yeah you get part way down the b pillar and then there's a firewall brake sort of plate with a little hole in it...
I got lucky with one wire on one side just happened to go through it but the other one... well let's just say I gave up trying!

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed new cab suspension in our M1078A1. Stuck with the factory 'knock off' from MME. It is a shame as ours look in good shape, held air, only the bushings appear to be bad. If I can figure out how to replace the internal shock bushing and find a concave donut bushing I'll rebuild and clean up the originals to keep as spares.

IMG_3818.jpeg

I meant to take photographs of the new ones. They are plug and play, completely private labeled MME. They do use a smaller air port though the reduction fitting is in the box with a new concave donut bushing, new concave spacer/washer, and nut (1-1/4" rather than original 1-1/8").

So far, they appear well done. Our worst marbles and squeaky noises now gone; we chase a rattle in the dash near my left foot—

Last edited:

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah it’s a pretty easy fix replacing those bushings. Just pull the snap ring off the shaft, knock it through. Then the bag can be separated from the shock. It’s only a friction fit to the base. Then dump out all the broken bushing bits. Replace the destroyed bushing with whatever you find. I turned down some derlin to make new units. Nice and quiet now.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah it’s a pretty easy fix replacing those bushings. Just pull the snap ring off the shaft, knock it through. Then the bag can be separated from the shock. It’s only a friction fit to the base. Then dump out all the broken bushing bits. Replace the destroyed bushing with whatever you find. I turned down some derlin to make new units. Nice and quiet now.
Excellent. So, the band on the shock will just slip back on? Did you print your own Derlin bushings or turn them out of blocks?

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatever you do don’t cut the band! I did that on my first one before I understood how they come apart.

once that cross pin is removed the unit can be separated into two major assemblies. The shock, and the bag.

The bag assembly has a steel ring at the bottom that slips into the shock assembly close to the bottom. It will be stuck, and if it’s leaking air, the o ring probably needs replacing. I have one in the shop, I’ll see if I can get a picture or two.

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter

So from what I can tell there is four leakage points to look at if you have air escaping from an air shock. There are the two o rings on the cross pin up top. The bag itself is one, and then the O ring on the bottom here.

Mine was leaking at the bottom, once replaced it was all set.

Attachments

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_7047.jpeg
So that pin at the top has two O rings internally on each end of the cap. They were in pretty bad shape on mine.

Yes, that is a hose clamp holding the top in place. It worked for a month (with a tack weld) until I could get another bag.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Every time I drove my truck it kind of had a rhythmic shake and I suspected it was the driver side front tire because the passenger side front tire had recently blown and I had replaced it. I replaced it with one of the two new (2019 but never installed) tires I had bought from Feltz tire in Wisconsin. The shake has gone away now. The tire that was on there did have chain marks in it as if it had been a spare for a long time and maybe also flat plus I had locked my brakes up once and that might have flat spotted it. I also had oil spray around the input to the middle axle pinion seal and the oil level was fairly low in fact it took about 10 pumps of the pump inserted into the 5 gallon bucket of gear oil to fill it up. I used AT-205 seal leak repair as recommended by Project Farm on YT. Later when I have time I plan on replacing the pinion seals but I have neither the tools nor the time at the moment.

MrMikey4026

I sold my M1078. A veteran of Kuwait, with the 81st Brigade.
It most likely served at a Patriot missile site, according to those that were there. The Army soldiers that have seen it are amazed that it has a factory winch on it, they had never seen one before. I didn't tell them that I installed it!
The reason for the sale, the high cost of fuel in my state and I am not getting any younger, everything seems so much heavier the last few years 922.jpg

Last edited:

ramdough

I sold my M1078. A veteran of Kuwait, with the 81st Brigade.
It most likely served at a Patriot missile site, according to those that were there. The Army soldiers that have seen it are amazed that it has a factory winch on it, they had never seen one before. I didn't tell them that I installed it!
The reason for the sale, the high cost of fuel in my state and I am not getting any younger, everything seems so much heavier the last few years View attachment 913820
Sorry to hear that. I know every time my back starts aching, I just confirm this is can only be a temporary hobby. We will still enjoy your knowledge if you care to stick around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks