• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I've heard a common failure for wiper motors is the power wire getting pinched at the bottom of the windshield where the windshield folds down. If yours was folded down at some point, it could have pinched and cut that wire.
Bulldogger
Not so much pinched or cut... but there are contact areas (small button) that when the windshield is up, come together. Age, rotting rubber and corrosion work at making for a bad connection. Many owners never see them or lower the windshield.

Couple of these... connectors (top and bottom) can cause wiper troubles. How many times are we flipping down the windshield? Splice them or Packard connectors and be done.

contacts.jpg

Another HumV headache. Wrong pill, CAMO

pill.jpg

Last edited:

Autonomy_Lost

I changed my temperature sensor (only to find that it didnt fix my problem), inspected both front spindle nuts and changed the hub oil, changed the front diff oil, and installed the upgraded washer nozzles (only to find that my washer pump is bad).

So I guess a good and bad day.

In case anyone is wondering, you lose about 2.5 gallons of coolant when you pull the temperator sender. 🙁

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well using the drain valve pretty much insures that you have the best chance of not poisoning the environment, if of course you follow through and dispose of it correctly, or even give a rats behind about that kind of stuff.

Autonomy_Lost

Well using the drain valve pretty much insures that you have the best chance of not poisoning the environment, if of course you follow through and dispose of it correctly, or even give a rats behind about that kind of stuff.
I used a catch pan, and then poured the old stuff into the empty containers from the new stuff. Then added to the pile of old fluids I have stored.

Unfortunately I havent found a local place that accepts coolant yet so I have tons of it. Used motor oil is way easier to dispose.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Around here, the green stuff (AND ONLY the green stuff) they claim you can pour into the sanity sewer (NOT SEPTIC SYSTEM!). And it'll be processed as normal. Just don't pour down stuff contaminated with oil or other fluids. (I was surprised as well.)

For the other color stuff, I've not found a place to recycle it.. but knew someone with a shop that let me add it to theirs.. (shops all, even green, has to be recycled.)

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a catch pan, and then poured the old stuff into the empty containers from the new stuff. Then added to the pile of old fluids I have stored.

Unfortunately I havent found a local place that accepts coolant yet so I have tons of it. Used motor oil is way easier to dispose.
Mix coolant with oil 50/50 and take it in. 25/75 if you feel more comfortable.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK but it is much easier to catch it in a 5 gal bucket than when it is poring all over the place running down the suspension etc.
I have a deal with a local auto shop, it is NOT a good idea to mix the coolant with oil, it costs much more to processes it..

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK but it is much easier to catch it in a 5 gal bucket than when it is poring all over the place running down the suspension etc.
I have a deal with a local auto shop, it is NOT a good idea to mix the coolant with oil, it costs much more to processes it..
I use a big storage tote and then transfer it to other manageable containers. I used a normal pan the first time and wind was barely blowing but that thin stream was blowing everywhere. You blow head gasket you get coolant in the oil. They are getting free oil and there must be money in it or they wouldn’t take it. Seems like they need to provide better access to dispose of stuff like that.

rcamacho

LF geared hub service and adjustment. Prior service had installed 1/4 steering arm bolts hand tight . More half assery

Gears and bearings appear to be in good condition. Installed a new output seal and lock washer. Adjusted per TM and refilled.

Also took the opportunity to assess tie rod state. Both are worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autonomy_Lost

Got the reverse switch installed on my shifter. What a pain in the ass! Took two people and multiple socket extensions to get the 4 shifter bolts out, then getting it back together was even harder. They sure don't make those 4 nuts on the underside easy to get to! They should have used rivnuts or something on the underside so that you can remove the bolts from the top.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the reverse switch installed on my shifter. What a pain in the ass! Took two people and multiple socket extensions to get the 4 shifter bolts out, then getting it back together was even harder. They sure don't make those 4 nuts on the underside easy to get to! They should have used rivnuts or something on the underside so that you can remove the bolts from the top.
Did you install rivnuts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks