• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

NormB

Finally got around to completing a glovebox of my own design. Made up some cardboard templates for 1/8" aluminum, did some fitting, assembly, measuring, drilling, put cup holders on the former radio deck, also drilled location for a fan - then ordered a second one for the passenger side.

Also got a couple of nuts loose on the transfer case - it's going to take some doing, and a set of stubby wrenches, I think. I'll mess with that more tomorrow. Wanted to get this project out of the way.

IMG_0108.jpgIMG_0107.jpgIMG_0100.jpgIMG_0109.jpgIMG_0106.jpgIMG_0104.jpg

Should be able to get a few things in there. A little more securely than under the driver's seat.

Presale

Grandson w HMMWV

That's awesome NormB. Any chance you'd share the templates?

photo of my grandson. The HMMWV is his first vehicle. That's what you call a real sh_ _ eating grin.

IMG_0658.jpg

Last edited:

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clean!

Finally got around to completing a glovebox of my own design. Made up some cardboard templates for 1/8" aluminum, did some fitting, assembly, measuring, drilling, put cup holders on the former radio deck, also drilled location for a fan - then ordered a second one for the passenger side.

Also got a couple of nuts loose on the transfer case - it's going to take some doing, and a set of stubby wrenches, I think. I'll mess with that more tomorrow. Wanted to get this project out of the way.

View attachment 678471View attachment 678470View attachment 678473View attachment 678472View attachment 678469View attachment 678468

Should be able to get a few things in there. A little more securely than under the driver's seat.

NormB

That's awesome NormB. Any chance you'd share the templates?

photo of my grandson. The HMMWV is his first vehicle. That's what you call a real sh_ _ eating grin.

View attachment 678481
Um, if I can dig 'em out of the recycling. Not sure they're necessary. Eyeball the images I posted, and you can make them yourself.

Templates I made out of cardboard. Basically a rectangle for the back (you could make it wider), I wanted space on the side for a speaker, radio antenna switch box, I don't know what all else.

Started out with a 12x24" piece of aluminum off amazon, I think (maybe eWay), outlined the cuts from the templates, cut pieces with a 10" chop saw, trimmed everything up on a bench belt sander

The sides are sort of trapezoidal, the rear bottom and top front corners rounded to fit. I used 3/4 angle plate, and aluminum hinge for the door and it's raised up a bit by a strip of 1/8" aluminum to allow the door to open. I wanted the hinge INSIDE. Could've been done differently, I did it off the top of my head as I went along. Getting the latch fitted was easy enough to make a hole for it, spacing it for the latch plate to clear inside, just took an enginner's rule slid into the gap above the door to figure out how far inside to space it, double-sided tape to hold it in place for temporary fitting, a c-clamp held it still so I could drill two pilot holes and final holes (0.191") for the rivets.

I could've used regular 3/16" rivets, but like the larger head style for appearances.

NormB

Thanks NormB those details should do the trick.
You're welcome. Pulled these out of the recycling. Dimensions are approximate, and you need to round/bevel the bottom of the rear plate to fit as well as beveling the top of it, and the door I wound up taking off about an 1/8".

YMMV.

PS: I'm "sick" of having to futz around with camera settings, rotating pictures, etc. I'll leave this to the end-user. ;-)

IMG_0111.jpg

Carrera911

Crisis Averted

Was rolling around under the truck today removing some of that plastic mesh erosion grass that had wrapped itself around the rear axle and wedged itself around the hub input seal. In the process of that I noticed this.
IMG_3189[1].jpg
Looks like a couple of the axle bolts had almost backed out into the caliper with less than 1/8th of an inch before hitting. I checked they were all there and flush when I got the truck 3k miles ago but didn't torque anything. Looks like I gotta get some split washers and loctite these down.

On another note, my truck has gone from dry underneath to a seeping power steering input seal, t-case rear output seal and rear diff output. lovely. If any get bad enough I guess I'll have to go through all that hassle.

Another Ahab

Was rolling around under the truck today removing some of that plastic mesh erosion grass that had wrapped itself around the rear axle and wedged itself around the hub input seal. In the process of that I noticed this.
View attachment 678602
Looks like a couple of the axle bolts had almost backed out into the caliper with less than 1/8th of an inch before hitting. I checked they were all there and flush when I got the truck 3k miles ago but didn't torque anything. Looks like I gotta get some split washers and loctite these down. .
That was some lucky timing.

Presale

I changed the dash lights on my M998A1 over to LEDs. I also put new light covers on to try and get the dash lights brighter. I thought I was ordering clear covers but they turned out to be the original green. I'm gonna figure something out.

Anybody know now where I can get some camo sun visors?
I see the original was seem to be black.

Wire Fox

Got a quote for a VRC-83 from Columbia Electronics. While I was pleasantly surprised by their communications, abundance of provided information and service background, and the simple availability of one of them...the price made me feel like rebuilding a HMMWV is relatively a pretty cheap hobby to have. If I made an extra $15k a year, I'd probably be able to hold up enough cash to pay for the kind of wonderful goodies they offer. It's inspired me to focus a bit more on the hardware I need to continue my transmission installation.

Is a GRC-206 too much to ask for? Okay...yeah, it probably is.

riderdan

Got a quote for a VRC-83 from Columbia Electronics. While I was pleasantly surprised by their communications, abundance of provided information and service background, and the simple availability of one of them...the price made me feel like rebuilding a HMMWV is relatively a pretty cheap hobby to have. If I made an extra $15k a year, I'd probably be able to hold up enough cash to pay for the kind of wonderful goodies they offer. It's inspired me to focus a bit more on the hardware I need to continue my transmission installation.
Is a GRC-206 too much to ask for? Okay...yeah, it probably is.
I just want an A/N VRC-64--which is what was in the truck when I was driving it around Europe and the sandbox--and that's pretty steep. I can pick up a radio for a few hundred, but throw in the deck, the mount w/ power supply, antennas, and cabling and it's pushing 1k. Which is probably too much to spend on something that's just for appearance sake. I should bank that for the next breakdown :neutral:

As for what I've done/am doing to mine: just finished putting together all the parts for my VIC-1, installed the under-hood jack stowage, welding up a dual ammo can holder for a "glove box" and installing the fire extinguisher.

ari

I changed the dash lights on my M998A1 over to LEDs. I also put new light covers on to try and get the dash lights brighter. I thought I was ordering clear covers but they turned out to be the original green. I'm gonna figure something out.

Anybody know now where I can get some camo sun visors?
I see the original was seem to be black.
same happened to me. I put a piece of foil inside at the top and drilled a couple holes in the side of the light cover it worked out great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks