• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Wire Fox

Installed front fender jack storage. Had to replace the latches. Also installed new LED license plate holder from TMG. Old one burnt out, and they gave me a hefty discount on the replacement.
Then the voltage regulator gave up and I couldn't drive it!
Ah well, one more thing to do then...
Bulldogger
That's really such a sweet jack storage location. I love utility items and other upgrades that get stored in otherwise dead space. Now that I have that same jack (picked up for $10 at Findlay), picking up one of those doesn't sound like such a bad plan.

Gear Report

That's really such a sweet jack storage location. I love utility items and other upgrades that get stored in otherwise dead space. Now that I have that same jack (picked up for $10 at Findlay), picking up one of those doesn't sound like such a bad plan.
I am interested to hear if Bulldogger finds that the jack storage box gets in the way when trying to lean into the engine compartment for maintenance, PMCS, etc. I figure that is probably the reason pretty much every HMMWV I have seen has had the jack storage box removed from that location.

Gear Report

Speedo stopped working a week or two ago. Finally pulled the cluster and found this...
HMMWV_Speedometer_cable (1).jpg
Speedo cable sheared at the back of the fitting.
At least it should be an easy fix and was easy to figure out. lol

Wire Fox

I am interested to hear if Bulldogger finds that the jack storage box gets in the way when trying to lean into the engine compartment for maintenance, PMCS, etc. I figure that is probably the reason pretty much every HMMWV I have seen has had the jack storage box removed from that location.
Don't you know? Once you install that jack, nothing will ever break again. You also won't need any more PMCS to be done. It just magically cures all!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is not that awkward with it and easy to remove lid. I don't think they come standard at all. Only certain models like shelter carriers had them or added as upgrade as they hold the newer black jack not the od green scissors. Looking at gp pics of the newer m1043/1045a2, very few show one in pics. There are also 2 flavors of the jack box out there as I found out. More info and pics on my thread.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It may be a little while before I can report on that, since my almost immediate failure in the engine bay occurred on the LEFT side... I suppose it will be in the way for some stuff, yes, but it's not that hard to remove the three bolts, so if it's more than a half hour job one could pull it off and throw it back on after.

I'm glad to have the jack out of the rear passenger footwell. I don't have any accessory boxes or auxiliary storage fab'd up yet.

BDGR

Gear Report

It may be a little while before I can report on that, since my almost immediate failure in the engine bay occurred on the LEFT side... I suppose it will be in the way for some stuff, yes, but it's not that hard to remove the three bolts, so if it's more than a half hour job one could pull it off and throw it back on after.
I'm glad to have the jack out of the rear passenger footwell. I don't have any accessory boxes or auxiliary storage fab'd up yet.
BDGR
Looking forward to hearing how it works out. I keep mine under one of the back seats, but wouldn't mind moving it if the jack storage box proves to be an improvement. :)

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you mount your license plate holder?
DanJ

Installed front fender jack storage. Had to replace the latches. Also installed new LED license plate holder from TMG. Old one burnt out, and they gave me a hefty discount on the replacement.
Then the voltage regulator gave up and I couldn't drive it!
Ah well, one more thing to do then...
Bulldogger

riderdan

On mine, the cover comes off the hinge pins (on the bottom) pretty easily. So if you can open the box, remove the jack, and pull the cover in under a minute. The backing plate, which is flat, doesn't really stick up (or out) enough to be in the way of anything.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you mount your license plate holder?
DanJ
On the left rear inside of the lifting shackle which gives just enough space left to miss the pintle hitch (I like to run w/ mine turned sideways unless in use). Had to drill my own holes in mount and of course in the frame, but it has worked well and keeps the plate out of the way.

BDGR

NormB

Reinstalled muffler, more or less. got seals off, scraped and took a wire brush then coarse steel wool to remove old seals, got hanger up, u-bolt on, and rear mount bolts in place. Nuts/bolts are just on, loose, I ran out of patience.

TIP: I used the wooden end of the same wire brush to hold one bolt at a time in place while raising/installing the bolts on the hanger at the rear of the muffler. Couple of figure-of-eight rubber hangers would've made a lot of sense like the later Hummers use.

Any kind of wooden wedge will work. More grist for the mill of my long-standing hatred for mechanical engineers. I mean, really, who designs stuff like this except for sadistic misanthropes? How many things do you come across in your life where you ask yourself "really? Did they ASK any end-users if the repair/replacement instructions actually made sense to real life human beings or did it make perfectly good sense to them on their paper drawings? Like those bolts that hold the Injector Pump in place? And more, so much more. I had erector sets as a kid, dismanted/reassembled clocks, my first motorcycle was a Yamaha Twin Jet 100 my brother gave me for my 14th birthday as a frame and parts in two orange crates. Harleys, BMWs (three), Kawasakis, Norton Commando even and except for Lucas electrics and Whitworth tools and drippage from the HDs, I got no complaints.

But the HMMWV?

Definitely challenging/interesting. My Tacoma goes in for 30k service tomorrow - engineers designed that so spark plugs take about two hours to replace. I've already paid for that with some extended searvice package I got when i bought the truck. I recall a somewhat popular car from my youth, a De Thomaso Pantera. Engine had to be lowered to change plugs.

Shakespeare said something once about killing all the lawyers. He must not have known any mechanical engineers.

I'll put the exhaust pipe extension on tomorrow, torque everything down and start with putting the fuel tank back.

Another Ahab

Shakespeare said something once about killing all the lawyers. He must not have known any mechanical engineers.
I believe what he said was "First, kill all the Lawyers".

So maybe he planned to get to the M.E.'s but he just ran out of time. He had plays and sonnets to write down (and there were a lot of them). :shrugs::naner:

Wire Fox

Anyone ever seen an A1 from the .gov with a 32 spline rear propeller shaft that was still the correct length for an A1? I just discovered that my rear shaft was fitted with a 32 spline yoke, yet the transfer case that came with my HMMWV was the TM-listed 27 spline. My best guess is it was delivered with a 27, that broke and was replaced with an available 32 spline and the yoke was swapped to match, then it broke again and a correct 27 spline TC was loaded on board right at the time of DRMO turn in. That's just going by what I see as correct in the TMs. Correct me if I'm missing something...

EDIT: I forgot to say what I actually did, aside from just look at my HMMWV. I was attempting to install my newly-finished rear drive shaft and clearly ran into some struggle. I knew of the whole 27 vs 32 issue and checked it a long time ago, but I clearly messed that up when I first checked it. Perhaps maybe I just checked the TC to make sure it had what was correct for my vehicle and just assumed that the propeller shaft couldn't be wrong since it was with the vehicle. Once I hit that hangup, I paused and ordered a replacement yoke from the next town over and switched gears to work on the front/midshaft. I went down to the shop press and installed the u-joint to rejoin the front and midshaft. I had started to do that a few days ago, but messed it up a little and had to redo the work. Since all I had available was some old, tired spring clips that were kept for just such an occassion where I was missing a couple, I'll have to hop under the HMMWV later and replace those two clips with a pair of pliers, a screwdriver, and a small hammer.

Last bit was easy: I had to replace the shift lever mounted to the side of the transfer case. I attempted to reuse one off of an NP218 I had sitting around; however, the slot cut out is at a different angle (they're otherwise completely identical). Now the lever sits at a more appropriate angle and my shift linkage will actually be able to mount up as it should and not hit the propeller shaft. Sorry, no pictures again. I'm terrible like that....I just get to working and don't want to greasy-print my phone trying to take pictures. When I do my TCM wiring, I'll be sure to stop and take a few of that and also include my notes on measurements for everything.

Last edited:

Gear Report

View attachment 682608View attachment 682609 I'm going to put troop seats in the old girl, still mocking it up. The 2 man bows will be cut down and some camo netting will be applied.. I will post pics when done!!!
Very interested to see how you finish this. I have a set of troop seats standing by to be cut down to fit the available space behind the 4-man soft top. Just haven't sorted out exactly how to do it. Would like to retain functioning troop seats, not just the side rails.

911joeblow

Very interested to see how you finish this. I have a set of troop seats standing by to be cut down to fit the available space behind the 4-man soft top. Just haven't sorted out exactly how to do it. Would like to retain functioning troop seats, not just the side rails.
I am doing something similar with the forward section angled to match the angle of the rear curtain. I will send pics when done.

therooster2001

Watched another auction go for $13,300, 4 door, nothing special, not even a video for the engine stuff. My state is weird on auctions. Might be time to go east again..

Bravojmc

Watched another auction go for $13,300, 4 door, nothing special, not even a video for the engine stuff. My state is weird on auctions. Might be time to go east again..
That's why I went to Kansas to get mine! It's like the people in colorado are smokin DOPE or somethan... ;)
i saw trucks going for thousand$ over what other states were going for! Minus CA they were way high from what I saw...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks