• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Wire Fox

I finally took a few minutes during lunch to clean the receptacle up before wiring in the replacement connector, it was heavily corroded on the threads. Used a brush and some NoOx. The receptacle threads look bad in places. I may be spending time with a small file to make the threads usable again.
View attachment 689614
Luckily, you're not stuck with that thing forever. If you ever replace your PCB/EESS/S3, you'll have fresh, new threads. Did you ever get a new harness/connector on the way?

General Hood

Luckily, you're not stuck with that thing forever. If you ever replace your PCB/EESS/S3, you'll have fresh, new threads. Did you ever get a new harness/connector on the way?
Yes, I am very fortunate that SS members have come forward in time of need. I hope one day to be able to return the favors. We pick at each other from time to time but there are a great bunch of members on the SS forum

General Hood

Jeez- how long does take to file a few threads!!!! Running yet?????:roll::roll:
Yes sir it's running. Heat shrinked the spliced connectors, and tomorrow will courtesy wrap the bundle then weatherproof it additionally with a butyl wrap
A big thanks to Will and Juan for the parts to make this happen.
IMG_20170713_183636983_HDR.jpg
Next item on the list for this M998: fan clutch stays engaged. Ugh

fpchief

Drove back home from Disney (8 hrs) and immediately started making my new to me m998 mine. Drained and swapped all fluids except tranny and hubs. Will do hubs tomorrow. Tranny is just too fresh looking. Also took off weathered cargo cover, never to be put back on.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bravojmc

Drove back home from Disney (8 hrs) and immediately started making my new to me m998 mine. Drained and swapped all fluids except tranny and hubs. Will do hubs tomorrow. Tranny is just too fresh looking. Also took off weathered cargo cover, never to be put back on.

Congrats on the new truck! Post up some pictures.!

Wire Fox

For giggles, I hooked up my QP1800 inverter to see how it worked. I have to say, it's impressive how fast heating coils can bring a power system to its knees. We have a rapid water boiler (for hot chocolate, tea, etc) rated at 1650W, which when I kicked it on, I thought it was going to stall my engine. The 200 A alternator immediately jumped up its load which strained the engine for a few seconds until it stabalized-and this was with the hand throttle locked at its fastest position. I'm sure part of this is due to one of my batteries failing and not being able to provide adequate power on its own, leading to it not being able to provide major amperage. The load pulled down from the inverter read out around 55 A, which is exactly why the QP1800 mandates that your vehicle has at least a 100 A alternator installed to utilize it. This system is clearly meant to supply power while running down the road to on-board devices such as radios or chargers, not so much for being a back-up power source for your kitchen.
Inverter 20170714.jpg
Still, it does have a good write-up for how to properly ground the inverter to a true earth ground in order to safely use external devices.

shawnshumvee

Can you share pictures of how you have it mounted? Thanks.

McReddy
Just used self tapping screws and later on i will paint them green.
I got the mirror ( which is perfect size) from amazon free shipping for $10.00. I don't want to take the credit for this mod. I got the idea from the user 3jacks.

Last edited:

infidel got me

mirror.jpgmirror1.jpg I bought a regular car/truck mirror. There is a dimple or small hole pre exiting just to the left of your wiper motor.
I replaced the set screw with a sheet metal screw. No drilling required and out of the way. Have full vision behind truck

shawnshumvee

View attachment 689773View attachment 689774 I bought a regular car/truck mirror. There is a dimple or small hole pre exiting just to the left of your wiper motor.
I replaced the set screw with a sheet metal screw. No drilling required and out of the way. Have full vision behind truck
Good job! I also have full rear vision too and a lot of adjustment. Yeah i seen that hole, i thought of just tapping into that hole but it seems that the mirror was a little to far towards the left. and another thing you got better than me is that you have that little flip lever under the mirror for night time driving. i do like that you used a "real" rear view mirror. Good job.

orgnal

View attachment 689773View attachment 689774 I bought a regular car/truck mirror. There is a dimple or small hole pre exiting just to the left of your wiper motor.
Thank you for sharing these pictures! It gives me a good idea on how to mount the rear view mirror.

McReddy

fpchief

Today i pressure washed it, swapped antifreeze, changed transfer case fluid, took off all parts to make it a 4 door. Those rear troop seats were heavier than expected. My deauce cargo seats were not as heavy. I do not really see how those seatbacks install. Still need the cushions of course..

riderdan

For giggles, I hooked up my QP1800 inverter to see how it worked. I have to say, it's impressive how fast heating coils can bring a power system to its knees. We have a rapid water boiler (for hot chocolate, tea, etc) rated at 1650W, which when I kicked it on, I thought it was going to stall my engine. The 200 A alternator immediately jumped up its load which strained the engine for a few seconds until it stabalized-and this was with the hand throttle locked at its fastest position. I'm sure part of this is due to one of my batteries failing and not being able to provide adequate power on its own, leading to it not being able to provide major amperage. The load pulled down from the inverter read out around 55 A, which is exactly why the QP1800 mandates that your vehicle has at least a 100 A alternator installed to utilize it. This system is clearly meant to supply power while running down the road to on-board devices such as radios or chargers, not so much for being a back-up power source for your kitchen.
View attachment 689766
Still, it does have a good write-up for how to properly ground the inverter to a true earth ground in order to safely use external devices.
You could save a lot of money on a Red Dot A/C unit and just go redneck: buy a cheap window AC from Wallyworld and run it off the inverter.

General Hood

View attachment 689766
I won a couple of those inverters on A GP lot. They do ok on a 24V solar system

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks