• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the the ball /socket stud can turn by hand, it is worn out of tolerance and has too much play. Potholes can beat them up or added wear from control arm bushings or ball joints out of spec.

Mario

Guys, for those that recently painted air lift bumpers, Rhino spare tire carrier or even the rims, what locally available rattle can flat black paint have you used?
Need to do some clean up and paint and don't want to have to set up the whole spray paint gun setup.

riderdan

Guys, for those that recently painted air lift bumpers, Rhino spare tire carrier or even the rims, what locally available rattle can flat black paint have you used?
Need to do some clean up and paint and don't want to have to set up the whole spray paint gun setup.
The Rustoleum "camouflage" paint (black) is a good matte black. It was a pretty close match on my truck, though it's hard to tell how much of the visible "paint" was actually done by the military. Also, the green isn't wildly off for items you need to paint OD, though I wouldn't try to blend it with what's on the truck, since definitely not an exact match.

85 USMC M998

The Rustoleum "camouflage" paint (black) is a good matte black. It was a pretty close match on my truck, though it's hard to tell how much of the visible "paint" was actually done by the military. Also, the green isn't wildly off for items you need to paint OD, though I wouldn't try to blend it with what's on the truck, since definitely not an exact match.
I agree, my '85 was CARC painted in '95 so it is faded enough where it is almost impossible to match with the paints out there in rattle cans except for the flat black. I agree with Infidel got me, all the flat blacks I have tried seem to match.

kcobean

My airlift hood seal gaskets came in on Friday. That was my 5 minute project today to slap those on. I also started taking measurements to build my own center console. It's gonna be awesome.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wal mart sells a flat black with rust control in their house brand. Has been working for me for years and almost half the price of other folks.
Matches exactly and zero issues with no fade.

gottaluvit

Yes, most of the flat black paints seem about the same at application, but the black Rustoleum will fade to silver. I have seen this personally on my M1008 and had a friend tell me his civy Blazer that he camo painted had the black turn silver using the Rustoleum camo flat black. This was a subject he brought up while asking how the military flat black holds up and he hadn't seen my Rustoleum spots that turned silver.

FKAM

Wal mart sells a flat black with rust control in their house brand. Has been working for me for years and almost half the price of other folks.
Matches exactly and zero issues with no fade.
Same here. Been using the WalMart stuff and seems to be a good match, especially with older weathered paint like on my HMWWV

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks