• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Bobthebuilder

Anyone got suggestions or thoughts on aftermarket wheels? I'd like to get away from these military tires and go with a 17"-18" wheel + mudtire combo. It's the next thing I want to do to my hmmwv.

kcobean

Little stuff over the weekend.

I installed the updated, self-cancelling turn signal switch. It's great but the cancelling ring that screws into the steering wheel has too much flex in it so the pins were flexing out of the way when contacting the cancellation cam instead of actually neutralizing the switch. I ended up using gorilla glue and gluing it on to the steering wheel to eliminate the flex.

Installed a rear-view mirror (I put the mount in last weekend, but let it sit on the glass and cure for a week before actually hanging the mirror. Nice to be able to see out the back/center when driving

I pulled the left rear spindle nut cover off and inspected the lock ring. Two tabs firmly engaged. Cleaned everything up and put it back together. Moved to the right rear and discovered a bad output seal, so I just changed the oil in that one and refilled and ordered the parts to change the seal. Will do that and the fronts next weekend.

I was going to pull the rear suspension shims to eliminate the camber issue, but I don't have all the tools to pull the suspension arm off the truck, so I might have to take it to a local shop for this one.

I replaced the dash lights with LEDs. Need to replace the lenses as these are clouded and one is melted on the inside so they don't light the gauges very well.

I bought a 24v->12V converter, bus-bar and a marine grade USB port/ligher socket/voltage display panel. Probably won't put the converter and bus-bar in until I get my center console built, then they'll go on the underside.

Mario

Looking at fixing the dashboard lenses that are melted.
Already got green LED bulbs, so all I need is clear lenses.
Anyone have part number for those?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started making some half doors. Sourced the empty frames from Hawkman. Good fellow to do business with. More details on the process in my HMMWV's thread.
Bulldogger
IMG_0398.jpg

Action

Thanks.
Sorry, should have clarified; I'm looking for clear lens with metal front.
I tried using the light without the cover and it was way too bright.
I really just want what OEM came with but in clear lens.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The ones you seek are all plastic with a green front and clear tube. There should also be an "o-ring" around it. I had some completely clear ones like in the link, but they were shorter than oem. You could try them and paint the tops.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw your photos of the deck in your other thread. What's it for? I bought a similar USB charger/voltage meter and am going to install it in center console I'm planning. Is yours 12 or 24V?
The decking is a mod from the service. I don't know what the Army says it's for, but from my perspective it makes stowage easier and it also relieves knees from the bumps and bruises when crawling around in the interior. I could never crawl from one side to the next without banging a knee on the corrugations. This gets rid of that and gives me tie downs. Should also be more comfortable for my dog when she rides with me.

Bulldogger

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed, it is very nice. You could go whole-hog and throw in some more brass and elegant fittings and you'll have something Steampunk and Jules Verne fans would be proud to drive :)

Bulldogger
I'm thinking a brass ship's wheel for a steering wheel and maybe a fish-scale horn button would be nice touches.... especially if the horn button also emitted an appropriate seafood scent when pressed.

.... ah.... but my mind wanders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks