• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

ryanruck

Also, I located the beverage holders that infidel got me had used at Walmart. Didn't like the "fabric" they use on the outside and plastic fingers inside so I kept looking around and, I think I found the perfect solution for anyone using the headset/mic holders as mounts.

Search eBay for the DMI Universal Beverage Holder.

Even comes with a bee... sorry can koozie. :mrgreen: Just ditch the mounting hardware and drill a hole in your headset/mic holder. Big enough to hold a 30oz or 40oz tumbler.

View attachment 692897 View attachment 692898 View attachment 692899 View attachment 692900 View attachment 692901
I can't outclass the fine craftsmanship of the above cup holders but it reminded me I forgot to post a followup on the DMI ones I had mentioned.

Got my radio tray reinstalled after painting and put the cup holders in. They work great!

IMG_4334.jpg

Apex02

Just drilled holes in the radio tray for the drop in cup holders. Gun rack is a rugged gear 4 gun floor mount which tilts and swivels allowing you to mount it at many different angles. Just slapped some tan paint on it.

Jakob1944

Cranked and started my M998a1 and brought it up to 200' jumped in and took it for a run the temp rose up and I suddenly found out the fan wasn't stuck on when it kicked in with a roar.......like they said, you'll know when it kicks on.....dropped the temp down and went into free wheel....got that problem solved....now to tackle the crazy moving fuel gauge.....you can sit in the vehicle on idle and shake the truck and the gauge flips up and down (with a full tank).....prob a faulty gauge.....any one have one.....

Mario

After working flawlessly for 5 months and few thousand miles, my spedo started acting up.
It sometimes stays at 0 or bounces between 0 and actual speed. When it's not working, odometer doesn't work either.
Otherwise it works and displays correct speed.
I have not been able to correlate it to any specific speed, gear, bump on the road or anything else.
I think this is a purely mechanical system, i.e. not an electrical issue.

What would you guys steer me towards as far as troubleshooting?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After working flawlessly for 5 months and few thousand miles, my spedo started acting up.
It sometimes stays at 0 or bounces between 0 and actual speed. When it's not working, odometer doesn't work either.
Otherwise it works and displays correct speed.
I have not been able to correlate it to any specific speed, gear, bump on the road or anything else.
I think this is a purely mechanical system, i.e. not an electrical issue.

What would you guys steer me towards as far as troubleshooting?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The cable in the casing is probably lacking lube. Doorman makes an adapter that you screw on the bottom of the cable and pump a few rounds of chassis grease through the adapter with a zerk fitting. Also the universal speedometer cable kits are cheap to just replace the cable if the outer casing is good.

You measure the length, cut and swag on the new square tip. One side of the cable is already squared.

riderdan

Radio installed. Can't remember if I posted these first two or not...

This is my gutted RT-524, with 24-12v DC-to-DC converter, a mini amp, and a set of 24v LEDs for the internal lighting and power lamp. Power is switched on and off through the switch on the front of the radio

radio-inside.jpg

I hid a cheap speaker behind the speaker grill (hi-fi is a waste in something as noisy as a 30 year old soft top HMMWV). Looks like a regular-old RT-524

radio-front.jpg

Installed it in the truck

radio-installed-side.jpg

radio-installed-front.jpg

In the first pic you can see the wires coming out of the rear of the radio. There's a 3.5mm input jack for playing sounds off my phone (music while driving, combat chatter while parked at shows) and another wire that feeds the amplified sound to the VIC-1.

I don't have pictures of it, but I also made a packard splitter and hooked it to horn power so I can run my switch box off switched power.

switch-installed.jpg

I've also got a relay that I'm going to hook into the power for the radio gear. That will help with my inevitable forgetfulness (already had to go outside at 11:30 at night and turn the radio off) and I'll put in a switch to bypass the relay if I want to run the radio for some specific reason.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never liked the flemsy pioneer kit, so this is my idea
and a lot more solid! Yes I don't have the pick but never used it..,

View attachment 696035View attachment 696034
Looks good. The NSN stamped on the bracket is for the HMMWV pioneer tool tray with the extensions and all that. Yours doesn't have them. Did you cut them off or is it a different kit/NSN?

I picked up a Deuce tool tray, which should bolt up if I make some brackets, though it will be crowding things back there.

Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks