• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

rcamacho

I've seen HMMWV in Rifle Companies using a piece of plywood between the Windshield and B Pillar above the Driver and Truck Commander's seats with the M113 APC dome lights screwed or bolted to, along with map pockets, pen slots, etc. We were allowed to make NON-PERMANENT alterations to the trucks most of the time a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood bought by the crew or senior person, painted black or OD using supply system or AAFES bought spray paint.
Love to see pictures of in field modifications like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen HMMWV in Rifle Companies using a piece of plywood between the Windshield and B Pillar above the Driver and Truck Commander's seats with the M113 APC dome lights screwed or bolted to, along with map pockets, pen slots, etc. We were allowed to make NON-PERMANENT alterations to the trucks most of the time a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood bought by the crew or senior person, painted black or OD using supply system or AAFES bought spray paint.
That sounds like a great idea. I would have to run a ground wire to the light but putting an overhead organizer on it is genius. I tell ya some of the best ideas come out in those field mods.

Chief B

So I’ve refurbished two interior lights and was looking for options to mounting these. I want to put one over each front seat. I’d like to either mount to the front roof bow or between the bow and the B pillar. Any ideas or thoughts would be great. Thanks
Not sure if this will help you too much or not, but the person I purchased mine from had mounted my speaker bar in the space behind the B pillar so here are a couple pictures on how it was done. This may give you some idea on how you can mount between the windshield and B pillar...

IMG_3268.jpgIMG_3269.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used the PS pump diag flow and pressure gauge from my HMMWV tool kit to test the civilian remote reservoir Saginaw P series pump that I had re-calibrated and fitted to my M998, it passed all tests except the idle pressure with no steering or brake input, instead of being around 185-200 PSI it is around 300 PSI, this of course would not be a pump issue and I contribute it to the 12K MileMarker winch being in line, unfortunately I did not test the stock pump but it steers easier than it did before.

Ajax MD

Practical applications:

We drove down to the local nursery and had them load 1.5 cubic yards of top soil for the addition to our veg. garden.
My wife was practically giddy at getting to use her truck for real work, not having a bunch of empty, plastic soil bags to dispose of, and not trashing her daily driver with dirt.

The truck rode a little nicer with some weight in the back. The engine didn't even notice.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Practical applications:

We drove down to the local nursery and had them load 1.5 cubic yards of top soil for the addition to our veg. garden.
My wife was practically giddy at getting to use her truck for real work, not having a bunch of empty, plastic soil bags to dispose of, and not trashing her daily driver with dirt.

The truck rode a little nicer with some weight in the back. The engine didn't even notice.
How did you make those planters? Please PM me.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Drilled out all the twist locks on the back of the "B" pillar. Never did like them and of no real use in my helmet top rig.

Took a 4 foot length of 3/4 X 1/8 aluminum strap. Centered it up where I wanted it over all the 1/8 holes and transferred a few locations to the strap.

Placed 3/8 spacers between pillar and strap with long rivets to hold it all together.

Holly Molle you are asking , for what is it????

It is the Molle hanger rack for small Molle Pack Type gear. I keep registration paperwork, small gadgets and goodies all at the ready AND out of site and water.

So that's what it is... the Holly Molle HumV glove box, CAMO

IMG_8402.jpg

Rail showing location and spacing

IMG_8401.jpg

With MOLLE systems attached
IMG_8403.jpg

Humv MODS U can DO.............. GREG.... NOT AUTHORIZED FOR USE IN TEXAS

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be doing headgaskets soon...:mad: 77 miles on the odometer on pick up (stamped 09' reset at 17 miles). Serviced all fluids, performed 500 mile break in procedure as mandated, blew a gasket at 812 miles. Starts instantly, runs like a champ, even with the issue but all signs say bad head gasket. I don't know whether to blame bad overhaul, faulty material, or what until I get into it. It never overheated as I caught it in time.

Drilled out all the twist locks on the back of the "B" pillar. Never did like them and of no real use in my helmet top rig.

Took a 4 foot length of 3/4 X 1/8 aluminum strap. Centered it up where I wanted it over all the 1/8 holes and transferred a few locations to the strap.

Placed 3/8 spacers between pillar and strap with long rivets to hold it all together.

Holly Molle you are asking , for what is it????

It is the Molle hanger rack for small Molle Pack Type gear. I keep registration paperwork, small gadgets and goodies all at the ready AND out of site and water.

So that's what it is... the Holly Molle HumV glove box, CAMO

View attachment 798268

Rail showing location and spacing

View attachment 798269

With MOLLE systems attached
View attachment 798270

Humv MODS U can DO.............. GREG.... NOT AUTHORIZED FOR USE IN TEXAS
I found these handy dandy items for storage. They also cover up unsightly rips and stains. 50DA06D4-D46B-4C3F-9B3C-FBB0A8E30BD8.jpeg

Awol

I'll be doing headgaskets soon...:mad: 77 miles on the odometer on pick up (stamped 09' reset at 17 miles). Serviced all fluids, performed 500 mile break in procedure as mandated, blew a gasket at 812 miles. Starts instantly, runs like a champ, even with the issue but all signs say bad head gasket. I don't know whether to blame bad overhaul, faulty material, or what until I get into it. It never overheated as I caught it in time.
That sucks. Are you seeing coolant in the oil? I'd pressure testing the system before totally ripping it apart.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sucks. Are you seeing coolant in the oil? I'd pressure testing the system before totally ripping it apart.
Caught it before coolant mixed (at least visually). There's peculation in the coolant reservoir as well as black specs from exhaust particulate, white sweet smoke, and coolant is disappearing. I wanted a second opinion and had a mechanic friend look over it and he came to the same conclusion.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sweet smell, bubbles in coolant, disappearing coolant together definitely sounds like a head gasket to me.

Reactions: REF

Awol

Caught it before coolant mixed (at least visually). There's peculation in the coolant reservoir as well as black specs from exhaust particulate, white sweet smoke, and coolant is disappearing. I wanted a second opinion and had a mechanic friend look over it and he came to the same conclusion.
Certainly sounds like a HG took a dump.

Might as well do both sides while you're in there.

Reactions: REF

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A new rebuild going bad is suspicious.

I would magnaflux or UV dye the heads and the block.

You might have a crack.

Before pulling the heads, run EGT's to ensure temps are not too high.

You sure fuel injector system not advanced on this fresh rebuild? That would elevate EGT's and cause damage.

Best,

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks