• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It did have the rear door blanks and the load floor seat backs.

No tailgate
No mirrors
No wipers
No glass
No top
No radio tray
No CDR valve

But...it did come with a big mystery bag.

View attachment 814002
Now I really want to know what's in the mystery bag

(only thing I did have on that list other than the wiper arms was the CDR valve, because mine was before they started butchering the DWF parts)
Luckily wiper arms seem to be universal with jeeps and some other vehicles, so you can get some that take regular wiper blades.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So a month or three ago my serp belt was starting to squeal, riding up on the front lip of the fan pulley. I spaced the power steering pump back slightly to make it stop.
Now power steering pump is noisy, so I probably screwed it up with that slight side load (or it was just failing anyway, who knows)

I pulled off the 200 amp generator to finally go resolve the underlying issue, which is the exhaust stud that holds the back of the generator in place was snapped off.
Of course things snowball. To get the snapped bolt out I had to remove the exhaust manifold.
When removing the exhaust manifold I found the oil cooler lines from the block were right up against the manifold, melting the protective wrap and the outer layer of the hoses.
Then add to that I had to remove the oil filter, finding that the oil leak from the adapter for the filter was slightly worse than I thought, and will probably need new o-rings to stop the leak.

Oh, and when I was removing the shims I put behind the power steering pump to space it back, I found the lower bolt holding the generator/PS pump bracket in place had backed out by 1/8", so that bracket ws only being held in place by the upper two bolts that were close together. It's my fault for not looking closer at the diagrams in the parts manual to see where the bolts were and how many when I started trying to fix this issue. I have no idea yet if this will solve the belt squealing issue, but I expect that there will be less movement in the generator/PS pump with all bolts tightened and the rear brace bolted to the block, so I'm hopeful that the belt squeal might be solved as well.

Currently waiting on the exhaust stud, oil filter adapter o-rings, and exhaust gasket. Fortunately I got the remains of the exhaust stud out without much difficulty once the manifold was removed. Now just to change the direction of the oil lines a little bit to keep them further away from the manifold, and maybe do a wrap on the manifold while it's out and easy to do.
So got the parts I needed in this morning. Worked for a few hours to get everything put back together. Well, that was after I had to take it further apart first.

To get the oil filter adapter off you have to disconnect the driveshaft from the front and remove the bolts for the intermediate bearing.
Then after I had the adapter off, this is what I found.

191c6ad1a61e9a11ea6e01b040cf720df14da42f-2.jpg
I don't know if someone assumed it would leak and covered everything with RTV when it was rebuilt, or decided to reuse the crush gasket, or whatever. Mind you, this truck had 8 miles on the rebuilt engine they installed during the overhaul in 2010 when I picked it up last year.

I had the new crush gasket and the rubber O-ring, so we'll see if it's still leaking after the next time I drive it.

Other than that got the exhaust manifold reinstalled with new gasket and new stud for the generator bracket. I turned the oil cooler hoses slightly as well to give a little more clearance from the manifold.

Now that all the generator bracket bolts are tightened down properly and the rear brace secured, no more belt squeal (or at least not yet). Power steering pump is a little noisy still, but it looks like I might have a lead somewhere in that system so I'll check fluid level next time I get a chance (I'm very tired right now) and see if it's just low fluid level causing the noise or if I really did kill it when I spaced it with those shims.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you really believe 8 miles? That's brand NEW.

I believe in the tooth fairy too, CAMO
There are a bunch of M1123s that ended up not being used and have been getting auctioned off.

The tag on it says the truck had 26 miles when it went through rebuild, and it had 32 when I bought it (so actually only 6 miles on it after rebuild)

Going by the condition of everything, other than normal issues from sitting and not being operated, and dust everywhere, there was absolutely no signs that it had actually been used.
According to my Marine buddy, they just had so many trucks at that point that a lot never got used. Plus they were coming out with true uparmored HMMWVs with real air conditioning around the same time, this one got a red dot kit at some point.

So yes, I actually do believe it for this truck.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Guess anything is possible. Having bought surplus items, getting new is a good deal. Just about can't go wrong with NOS. I have seen the trucks that were contractor modified for special application builds... only to be sold to the public. Now those were new with a new price tag.

New is good. Shoot a picture, so I can show my HumV what it should look like.

Still looking for a jeep in the crate, CAMO

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So now with everything back together, was going to drive the truck out to a job today.
Up to this point I occasionally had the charging system flake out on me during startup. It would barely show starting to charge then stop (the needle would move up to the green briefly between two pulses of the glow plugs, then drop back to yellow), but turning it off and tapping on the voltage regulator seemed to make it work fine until the next time I disconnected the batteries.
Now I think it's totally failed. It starts charging like before, but will get up into the green for about 5-10 seconds before the charging stops and it goes back down to the yellow. I saw it do this repeatedly, and as far as I can tell from Neihoff's troubleshooting guide for the generator/regulator, the regulator is what is bad.
Just one of many things that happened today that did not make it a good day.

Anyway, have one on order so hopefully it solves the issue.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess anything is possible. Having bought surplus items, getting new is a good deal. Just about can't go wrong with NOS. I have seen the trucks that were contractor modified for special application builds... only to be sold to the public. Now those were new with a new price tag.

New is good. Shoot a picture, so I can show my HumV what it should look like.

Still looking for a jeep in the crate, CAMO
the operative word is “since reset”, I’ve had numerous m1123’s with 26 miles on them since reset, backed up by the turn in paperwork still in the truck, SN of truck matches the truck and the odometer reading is same as truck received.
The dates have been 2010-2011...so these trucks sat for 9-10yrs after reset.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
the operative word is “since reset”, I’ve had numerous m1123’s with 26 miles on them since reset, backed up by the turn in paperwork still in the truck, SN of truck matches the truck and the odometer reading is same as truck received.
The dates have been 2010-2011...so these trucks sat for 9-10yrs after reset.
Yep "since reset" Like new barn find, only in the desert for 10 years. Nice if you can afford it. Becoming an expensive pay to play hobby. Wait till Newsom pulls that plug.

Been "reseting" mine on and off for 5 years, CAMO

Thumper580

Put a new fan clutch in after the new Cadillac valve, TDM and thermo switch didn't fix it..... Of course when placing the radiator back in place it slipped and punctured a cooling tube (#*!$#&*).... Got that repaired and the fan works like it should. Not a fun adventure..
IMG_20201015_140010440.jpgIMG_20201015_140016134.jpg

Last edited:

WhoMe08721

Final fixed the fuel cover door that someone installed before me. Custom design a new aluminum sheet metal one, on the brake today. Also finish installing my new heat that I built for scratch. Worked great today on my first test drive with it. It make so much more heat then the stock little heater every made. Can't wait to try it in the cold winter this year.

Attachments

WhoMe08721

Also made new led tail lights this week. Order toppower 4" round led trailer lights off amazon. Cracked them open and custom designed a new holder for them in the computer. Which I 3D printed and install in the stock m998 enclosure. They are super bright now and very happy the way they came out.

Attachments

badgerd

Electronic Jedi
Also made new led tail lights this week. Order toppower 4" round led trailer lights off amazon. Cracked them open and custom designed a new holder for them in the computer. Which I 3D printed and install in the stock m998 enclosure. They are super bright now and very happy the way they came out.
Any chance you’ll make those inserts for sale? Cool mod!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a start on my M998 #2 Duramax project, a few hours Sat, and a couple more yesterday and the body came right off with no problems, I am REALLY happy with the donor M998 I picked up, the motor was toast as the air horn had been left off for God knows how long (got 4 gallons of water out of the pan), it was plain enough in the pictures so it went cheap enough, it looks to be an honest truck with 8K on it, only one paint job, looks like it was never forded or seriously abused, just a little surface rust in a very few spots on the chassis, all the rubber on the suspension components look great, even all the lower shock bolts came out (and got a coating of never seize and re-installed) with no effort at all.
I wanted to start with a M998 because of the license plate restrictions on HMMWV's with a GVWR over 10K in Texas, I already have the 12K hubs and axles to install...
It really helps having a decent shop even if it has sooo much crap in it that one can barely get from one door to the next
IMG_20201018_173018437.jpg
IMG_20201018_173036566.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks