• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Hummer Guy

Almost finished my M1123 build. Its not totally original. I'm not a HMMWV purist. I build it how I want to, and enjoy it. Still need an Ibis Tek front bumper. Trying to find one that I don't need to sell my kidney's to purchase. May just fab one out of steel.
I can't find those IBIS TEK bumper either, I ended up getting the other heavy duty bumper mile marker tubular bumper

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new company GTA is a joke, they aren’t interested in selling to civilians, not to mention prices are astronomical.
This actually isn’t uncommon for Govt contractors though.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed a 4” coupler from Home Depot. I really like the looks of intake a little higher and I think it will get better air than being down in that hole. Best 8.78 I have spent so far.View attachment 848668
if it snows where you are at, it gives you a couple more inches before the air intake is plugged up, preventing the truck from starting.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
if it snows where you are at, it gives you a couple more inches before the air intake is plugged up, preventing the truck from starting.
Even without snow I think that’s where it should be. It has to be better there than where it was. I picture water coming over the hood and finding the lowest spot. I think it’s perfect and I’m not going thru nipple deep water but I don’t want stuff packed around it like you said with snow. I had jeep over heat in the snow because it was covering the radiator. I mostly did it because I like the looks. When I piece together my dwf system I will probably extend it with the oem stuff.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even without snow I think that’s where it should be. It has to be better there than where it was. I picture water coming over the hood and finding the lowest spot. I think it’s perfect and I’m not going thru nipple deep water but I don’t want stuff packed around it like you said with snow. I had jeep over heat in the snow because it was covering the radiator. I mostly did it because I like the looks. When I piece together my dwf system I will probably extend it with the oem stuff.
At full height (deep water kit style), it pretty much blocks the passenger side rearview mirror when set to look at it through the front windshield. And I suspect we all know how difficult that mirror is to see out of when the regular soft-door is on, it's even worse with the arctic door.

Action

At full height (deep water kit style), it pretty much blocks the passenger side rearview mirror when set to look at it through the front windshield. And I suspect we all know how difficult that mirror is to see out of when the regular soft-door is on, it's even worse with the arctic door.
The mirror view through windshield is not blocked by the fording intake.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mirror view through windshield is not blocked by the fording intake.
Was for my seating position. The previous owner did the PVC fording intake, so it may have been slightly wider, but it created a massive blind spot for me. (I'm about 6'1", seated at the furthest back position in the seat that lifts up to adjust positions).

Thus my warning for exterior "looks", it may create a huge blindspot that is more dangerous than a small bit of snow you can clear off. (Mind you just the coupling that was suggested looks like a reasonable winter alternative to raise it and not create the blind spot.)

tbeson

Finally replaced the thermo fan switch to the Cadillac valve, I think it was time, The fan was not engaging when the rig got up to 220., Irony- got the rig up and running, only to get the rear wheel cylinder stuck and find some overheating problems, rebuilding the rear caliper, but while waiting on rebuild parts, decided to tackle the thermo switch. Easy peasy. replaced in under 5 minutes, A big shout out to the group over at Blackdog Customs - Youtube channel, made the diagnosis simple. Great video. cant wait to get the rig back out on the road and test on it. Weather is getting perfect for some long runs in the woods. 20211027_081000.jpg20211027_080938.jpg20211027_081016.jpg

kungflu72

Very cool idea.
Would like to see more pics of your set up if you don't mind sharing.
Btw. You have a sharp looking rig there🤠
Sorry for the late reply. Here are a couple pictures of the thermal. One of the display in my rig, and one of the back of the unit in the blue force tracker box.IMG_5577.JPGIMG_6180.JPG

kungflu72

Sorry for the late reply. Here are a couple pictures of the thermal. One of the display in my rig, and one of the back of the unit in the blue force tracker box.View attachment 849274View attachment 849275
One other note. The old GM thermal cameras only display in white hot, and the resolution is not very good. They originally used a heads up display from the factory. It shined the video feed on the Cadillac windshield in front of the driver. Pretty cutting edge back in 2005. There are much better automotive thermal cameras out there nowadays. But these old GM thermals are tough, and I only have a few hundred bucks vs a few thousand

Glider

I put foam under plywood insulation. They have 3' wide on roll at Lowes. I bought 6' at 4.xx a foot and 4' damaged edge for 2.00 a foot. The 4' section covered both plywood pieces. I still have the 6' roll left. I used a straight edge and cheap razor knife. Used plywood as template, cut every edge 1/2 short and round edges. Installed very easy. I used 1/4 longer than stock screws avaliable at lowest also. It cuts down on noise and provides a little insulation.

Attachments

rcamacho

I put foam under plywood insulation. They have 3' wide on roll at Lowes. I bought 6' at 4.xx a foot and 4' damaged edge for 2.00 a foot. The 4' section covered both plywood pieces. I still have the 6' roll left. I used a straight edge and cheap razor knife. Used plywood as template, cut every edge 1/2 short and round edges. Installed very easy. I used 1/4 longer than stock screws avaliable at lowest also. It cuts down on noise and provides a little insulation.
I’m curious if you measured the sound decibel reduction? Else temp reduction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks