• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replaced the front rotors and pads on the 1152. Currently refurbishing some early, one-off hard doors I picked up. Not sure who made them, but pulled apart and getting ready to put in a power window unit.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the weather was not good for burning diesel today so I rebuilt the turbo for the GEP engine, the core was a little rough.
IMG_20211206_093403338.jpg
This is the compressor wheel from KBD compared to the factory wheel.
IMG_20211211_134252094.jpg
In the end it turned out pretty nice, I replaced all the rotating components and of course the rings and bushings.
IMG_20211211_142047801.jpg
I did have to install a Helicoil in one of the shield mounting holes

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not saying I will never have any fuel problems but I will never have to mess with that POC mechanical pump OR that POS fuel filter ever again on the Detroit!
IMG_20211214_143150406.jpg
I trimmed the regulator spring a little too short so I am only making around 5PSI I was shooting for 7-8 will see if AirDog will sell me a correct set of springs, if not I can just stretch these a little bit, one thing is it will deliver the set pressure even at WOT which will keep the IP a little cooler as it will bypass more fuel.

Last edited:

kungflu72

All,

I am wondering if posting the gun mounts and swing arms I fabricated for my 1123 is allowed on the forum? Maybe an Admin can respond? I spent many hours engineering and fabbing them up. It would be a shame to not share these gems! This is the only reference to posting these items on the forum rules:

• Do not post material dealing with the sale or use of alcohol, tobacco, or firearms. The exception to the rule would be the discussion of rifle mounts or ring-mounts. Firearms discussions is allowed in the designated munitions forum, but be sure to follow all federal, state, and local laws.

kungflu72

Not saying I will never have any fuel problems but I will never have to mess with that POC mechanical pump OR that POS fuel filter ever again on the Detroit!
View attachment 853273
I trimmed the regulator spring a little too short so I am only making around 5PSI I was shooting for 7-8 will see if AirDog will sell me a correct set of springs, if not I can just stretch these a little bit, one thing is it will deliver the set pressure even at WOT which will keep the IP a little cooler as it will bypass more fuel.
Is that an electric fuel pump? 24volt?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that an electric fuel pump? 24volt?
To explain farther, it is a Raptor pump made by the same folks that make the AirDog (Pureflow), the DB2 pump is not as affected by entrained air as the high pressure rail systems so I did not see the need to spend the extra money.

I was actually going to use a small pump made for Cat engines, one of the local shops use them on 400HP generators and told me despite the small size they work fine, (edit, I think they are available in 24V) then I ran across the Raptor, this particular one was designed to replace the factory pump on circa 2000 Cummins powered Dodge trucks, all Pureflow pumps have a built in regulator so it is ideal for this application because if the inlet pressure is too high (18-20psi or higher) to the IP it will effect pump timing, the Dodge had a 12MM fitting for the OEM pump so the inlet (suction side) had a 12MM threaded hole, I did not have a 12MM fitting so I dissembled the pump and drilled and tapped the inlet for 3/8 NPT, the outlet was -8 ORB so that was no problem.

The advantage of a high capacity regulated pump is it will maintain the set pressure at WOT OR idle so it will always be bypassing the maximum amount of fuel back to the tank effectively cooling the IP as best as possible.

Pureflow makes a "universal" pump that is factory set at 8PSI which is fine for the DB2, they are not cheap though so when I find a NOS pump for any application "cheap" I grab them and just modify it for my needs, the Raptor will pump up to 100 GPH, more than the DB2 would ever be able to deliver, the little cat pumps are around 38 GPH which is still fine.

The AirDog on the DuraVee (Duramax) on the other hand can deliver 165 GPH, filtering and entrained air on the high pressure rail systems is serious business, I am told one drop of water can blow the tip off of an injector and totally wreck an engine, one of the reasons all these systems come from the factory with water warning sensors in the filters, and entrained air has deleterious effects on the high pressure pump life and performance.

Last edited:

kungflu72

Well I guess its a go. If Admin have issue, feel free to delete. Here is the Barrett mount and the small M2 pintle mount. These work awesome, and make it what they were designed to be GUN Trucks!IMG_6313.JPGIMG_6325.JPGIMG_6326.JPG
All,

I am wondering if posting the gun mounts and swing arms I fabricated for my 1123 is allowed on the forum? Maybe an Admin can respond? I spent many hours engineering and fabbing them up. It would be a shame to not share these gems! This is the only reference to posting these items on the forum rules:

• Do not post material dealing with the sale or use of alcohol, tobacco, or firearms. The exception to the rule would be the discussion of rifle mounts or ring-mounts. Firearms discussions is allowed in the designated munitions forum, but be sure to follow all federal, state, and local laws.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well I guess its a go. If Admin have issue, feel free to delete. Here is the Barrett mount and the small M2 pintle mount. These work awesome, and make it what they were designed to be GUN Trucks!View attachment 853633View attachment 853634View attachment 853635
Neat!! I like it. Sadly, I have found no larger magazine than the 10 rounders - but still - it is slinging about 660 grains with the M33 Ball. Energy between 10,000 and 15,000 foot pounds (another measure at between 14 and 18 kilojoules). Still, if you were on the receiving end of the Barrett fired rounds it would be a really bad day!

I don't own a HMMWV.
Not practical on my M936.
I suppose if I had the turret on my M1088 or M1089 maybe...

Maybe on the M37 out back in the bed could work :cool:

Last edited:

kungflu72

The HMMWV was not designed to be a "gun truck" it was later adapted to that role.
Agreed. But they excelled in that role. That is what makes these trucks unique. They can be an ambulance, gun truck, troop transport. Whatever the mission required. I ran M2's on a pedestal and Mark 19's on a turret in the sandbox. We never had all the uparmored stuff in my day. I particularly like the GMV style trucks the SF guys were running. That is how I am setting mine up. A kind of pseudo-GMV that my small budget can handle. I would love to have some Milsys group swingarms and mounts. Way out of my price range. But with a mig welder and a little time. I can fab up some stuff that serves the same purpose. And shooting out of the truck is just downright fun!

kungflu72

Agreed. But they excelled in that role. That is what makes these trucks unique. They can be an ambulance, gun truck, troop transport. Whatever the mission required. I ran M2's on a pedestal and Mark 19's on a turret in the sandbox. We never had all the uparmored stuff in my day. I particularly like the GMV style trucks the SF guys were running. That is how I am setting mine up. A kind of pseudo-GMV that my small budget can handle. I would love to have some Milsys group swingarms and mounts. Way out of my price range. But with a mig welder and a little time. I can fab up some stuff that serves the same purpose. And shooting out of the truck is just downright fun!
Also, my kids call it my Zombie apocalypse truck. So there is also that bonus.

kungflu72

Neat!! I like it. Sadly, I have found no larger magazine than the 10 rounders - but still - it is slinging about 660 grrains with the M33 Ball. Energy between 10,000 and 15,000 foot pounds (another measure at between 14 and 18 kilojoules). Still, if you were on the receiving end of the Barrett fired rounds it would be a really bad day!

I don't own a HMMWV.
Not practical on my M936.
I suppose if I had the turret on my M1088 or M1089 maybe...

Maybe on the M37 out back in the bed could work :cool:

10 rounds are plenty. I only have a couple of those high dollar mags. At $150 a piece. Barrett wants $1200 for their soft mounts. I fabbed that one up out of 3/8" plate. Might have $250 in the whole shooting match. Rock solid.
I have seen pictures of M2's pedestal mounted on the bed of an M37. It is definitely doable.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
played in the snow friday night with some jeeps.

Made it pretty much as far as it would go with MT tires, and the Jeeps behind me were stuck on a small log across in the snow.
Snow 14-18" deep, with hard crust on top. I was heavier and wider than the others, so kept breaking through the crust into the loose stuff, so while they were working on the jeeps behind me, I pulled out the snow chains and got them installed.
First time I've ever used chains on anything, and it really made a huge difference. Just chewed through everything.
Didn't like reverse in high range, but low range was great.

Was a fun learning experience, other than the jeeps kept stopping every mile or two to just chat for 30+ minutes while stuff cooled down. Probably not a bad idea to cool off, as the trucks were working kind of hard.

Earlier that day an F350 blew a transmission seal (was being loaded on a trailer as we got there, so we didn't need to help) and the next day a Dodge Ram of some type broke it's front axle. One of the jeeps with me was down for repairs after the trip, so the fact that nothing broke was nice.

Only downside is I lost one of the tire chains on the rear and didn't feel like going back to look for it. Time to go looking for another set of tire chains (or break out the semi chains I cut down, but those are at least twice as heavy as the military HMMWV ones are)

Anyway, a couple pictures.
be191afc6157cd0c84ee7bc01894230bb2227bcc-6.jpgbe191afc6157cd0c84ee7bc01894230bb2227bcc-7.jpg

and a view of the trail.
be191afc6157cd0c84ee7bc01894230bb2227bcc-5.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks