• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Crapgame

It's way cheaper than led complete lights. And looks just like stock. I went with cheap hella knockoffs that didn't fit then purchased the real deal. $35 a piece from Amazon.

HELLA 002395031 HLMP 7" 165MM H4 ECE,2395031 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005OULUQO/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_ET1DACXFCW0X5QN4F5WG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Any h4 led bulb will work, all you need is h4 pigtails to match up with the factory wiring. You can cut wires off old bulbs!

In the listing for led h4's they will show you voltage range. I used these and they are perfect and cheap.

Limited-time deal: OXILAM Mini Size H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulbs, 12000LM Hi/Lo Beam Wireless 6000K White Super Bright LED HB2 Bulb for Car Motorcycle Conversion Kit, Fanless Replacement Bulbs, Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HS7499B/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_dl_HF50QA15DWDETDSMMCFE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I've been looking for a solution like this for awhile, just for the safety aspect instead of the GI 60w incandescant bulbs, thank you.

visualg

Guys,

Newbie here... Waiting on my EUC to get approved. But, in the meantime, preparing for all the maintenance tasks to perform when my M1123 arrives.. One thing I notice was a possible missing part next to the front passenger seat.. I've scanned the TMs and haven't been able to locate what was there. Figured I'll toss out to your guys and see if you knew.. I circled the area.. Any ideas? Was it just a cap and there's other accessories that mount there or something? I tossed in another image of one that has the cap or mount installed..
Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 5.04.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 5.22.11 PM.png

Crapgame

Guys,

Newbie here... Waiting on my EUC to get approved. But, in the meantime, preparing for all the maintenance tasks to perform when my M1123 arrives.. One thing I notice was a possible missing part next to the front passenger seat.. I've scanned the TMs and haven't been able to locate what was there. Figured I'll toss out to your guys and see if you knew.. I circled the area.. Any ideas? Was it just a cap and there's other accessories that mount there or something? I tossed in another image of one that has the cap or mount installed..
View attachment 863938
View attachment 863940
That is rubber grommet/retainer bracket for the radio power cable pass-through into the transmission hump then into your battery box. There are just the 3 holes (2 small bolt holes, 1 large for the grommet body), you need to reach under the transmission hump with a wrench to hold the nut and lockwasher when installing the grommet/retainer. Or you can drill out the bolt holes a skosh larger then install two 1/4"-20 rivet nuts to make it easier to install. Or just cut an oval patch from aluminum 1/8" plate to pop rivet in place to cover the holes.

This is the retainer bracket: AM General 12338092 Heater Harness Retainer 809223 NSN 2590-00-454-3620 | eBay

Another grommet retainer in "tactical black" lol instead of the usual yellow zinc:
GROMMET RETAINER HMMWV CABLE INSTALLATION A3046169-A3046169 (3dcartstores.com)

Then there are 3 or 4 different types of rubber grommet depending on how many and how thick the cables you need to pass through are.
This one would be for a VRC radio system plus a power cord for AN/PSN-11 PLGR or AN/PSN-13DAGR:
NOS Grommet NSN 5325012053203 P/N 12338085 HMMWV Military Surplus | eBay

This grommet is for just a VRC radio system power cord and, is also used in the curbside, rear passenger seat back wall for the VRC radio system antenna cables to pass through the hull using the same grommet retainer above:
Hmmwv Grommet 12338084 Black 1 1/4-Ton Hmmwv Truck M998 NOS | eBay

Edit: Here is a 4 cable (2 large 2 small) grommet I just found, as another example:
Communications Radio Cable Grommet for HMMWV 1 1/4 Ton (easternsurplus.net)

And I am fairly certain I have seen another grommet with 2 large holes, example would be for a VRC radio system and the power cord for the InfiniD 24VDC to 12VDC/Power Distribution Boxes on the many of the SF GMV Ground Mobility Vehicle HMMVVs, like this system. The vertical box with 3 black 12v sockets is the InfiniD Inverter/Power Distribution Box, unique to SOCOM GMVs not Big Army HMMWVs.
GMV Radio Doghouse with 12 pack.jpg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Guys,

View attachment 863938
View attachment 863940
Well then! Seems that @Crapgame resolved your question - and then you looked for yourself in the TM's for pictures... You are ahead of a lot of folks. Those crusty boring old books will solve a LOT of problems and answer a lot of questions too! I gotta say CONGRATULATIONS for getting the books!

And while we are at it, Welcome to the Outfit!

Be sure to upload some pictures as soon as your new-to-you truck arrives. That will give you a place to "draw a line in the sand" and everything that you do from day one will show you how much you have accomplished.

Again, welcome to the group and we can't wait to see some pictures!

visualg

Well then! Seems that @Crapgame resolved your question - and then you looked for yourself in the TM's for pictures... You are ahead of a lot of folks. Those crusty boring old books will solve a LOT of problems and answer a lot of questions too! I gotta say CONGRATULATIONS for getting the books!

And while we are at it, Welcome to the Outfit!

Be sure to upload some pictures as soon as your new-to-you truck arrives. That will give you a place to "draw a line in the sand" and everything that you do from day one will show you how much you have accomplished.

Again, welcome to the group and we can't wait to see some pictures!
Thank you... Mid May is when I expect delivery.. Cross my fingers..

MattNC

visualg, the missing grommet was also missing on mine. It ended up being the perfect spot to mount a keyed main electric cutoff kit from hummerpartsguy. I use that both for security and an easy way to kill the electric when working on the humvee

visualg

visualg, the missing grommet was also missing on mine. It ended up being the perfect spot to mount a keyed main electric cutoff kit from hummerpartsguy. I use that both for security and an easy way to kill the electric when working on the humvee
Wow, good idea.. May have to do that.. I'll look up that kit.. Thanks!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow, good idea.. May have to do that.. I'll look up that kit.. Thanks!
Remember - Out of sight, Out of mind.

Even keyed, if your switch can be seen by the casual observer your cutoff is worth less than hidden (worth less not worthless!). Remember too that your switch needs to be high amperage to turn off those batteries. A normal car might have a 500 to 700 amp battery. The HMMWV is double that, possibly more. Be sure that your switch is rated to carry that load...

visualg

Remember - Out of sight, Out of mind.

Even keyed, if your switch can be seen by the casual observer your cutoff is worth less than hidden (worth less not worthless!). Remember too that your switch needs to be high amperage to turn off those batteries. A normal car might have a 500 to 700 amp battery. The HMMWV is double that, possibly more. Be sure that your switch is rated to carry that load...
Good point, keeping forgetting it 24V..

Can you guys help me out with one more thing.. My M1123 seems to be a 1999 version based on it's serial 18xxxx.. I'm looking for the CDR Valve.. getting two different part numbers for it, not sure which one is correct. I think 25043364 should be the right one? I'm trying to line up all the parts now, so when it arrives I can jump head first and get this crap done and not have to wait for parts to arrive.

Someone about 4 months ago posted an image of a kit, or at least a box of parts related to this valve. Trying to find a good source with these parts.
here's the image that poster posted, I tried reaching out to him, but he never got back to me.

cdr.png

And what is this part in the photo, seems to be fuel related as they pulled it out and got fuel around it..
Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 9.28.19 AM.png

Last edited:

blutow

Not really. When you put the batteries in series, the voltage doubles, but the amps do not. That's a big advantage of 24v compared to 12v, your wiring/switches don't have to be rated as high. The amps required to run a 24v component is typically half of a similar component running on 12v.

I'm not debating the need for a properly rated switch, just saying the amps aren't typically higher on the hmmwv electrical system, they are typically lower compared to a similar 12v vehicle (a hummer for example).

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good point, keeping forgetting it 24V..

Can you guys help me out with one more thing.. My M1123 seems to be a 1999 version based on it's serial 18xxxx.. I'm looking for the CDR Valve.. getting two different part numbers for it, not sure which one is correct. I think 25043364 should be the right one? I'm trying to line up all the parts now, so when it arrives I can jump head first and get this crap done and not have to wait for parts to arrive.

Someone about 4 months ago posted an image of a kit, or at least a box of parts related to this valve. Trying to find a good source with these parts.
here's the image that poster posted, I tried reaching out to him, but he never got back to me.

View attachment 864000

And what is this part in the photo, seems to be fuel related as they pulled it out and got fuel around it..
View attachment 864001
visualg , That valve... Depending on being able to see more could be a fuel cutoff or a three-way valve for a second fuel tank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks