• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lol, its a thing you need on the newer aluminum roofs of m1151's. Most of them in service have armored roof overlays that keep water from getting into the top of the doors. If they remove that piece during the demil process, all of the rain will run down the roof and right into your doors.

The older steel roofs on m1123's etc dont need this because the doors sit in a recessed "pocket" rather than sitting flush, if that makes sense.

Edit: look at my post a few posts up, when I installed the doors but before installing the gutters. You can see how rain would just go right in. Yes there is weatherstripping but that only does so much.
Water??? you mean that stuff that used to fall out of the sky????:ROFLMAO:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the oil, greased all the zerks I could access and gave her a washdown. Plenty more to do to get her ready for Graves Mountain Rally and of the month.

Also finished installing Camo Tek front blinkers. I had to first replace the side markers as they were all badly corroded! I found a great price on Grote markers, probably because they are halogen and not LED (2-3 times the cost for LED). If anyone needs side markers in a hurry (2-day Prime shipping) I recommend these. Just have to hit them with flat black first. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMH2Z2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I recommend the CAMOTEKSYSTEMS front flasher upgrade. It goes in easy and works perfectly. Even comes with a little packet of dielectric grease for the Packard connectors, which I thought was a nice touch. http://camoteksystems.com/index.php/products-options

Bulldogger

Hammer

Finally got a slantback setup and started the process of installing/removing/installing it to get everything setup.
I obviously have a lot of work left to do, but I got the back on, and the roof sitting in place so I can fit the A piller brackets to mount the roof and turret supports. Doing all by yourself, with no equipment, in fairly hot weather.... fun....
20220807_134037_1024x768.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Finally got a slantback setup and started the process of installing/removing/installing it to get everything setup.
I obviously have a lot of work left to do, but I got the back on, and the roof sitting in place so I can fit the A piller brackets to mount the roof and turret supports. Doing all by yourself, with no equipment, in fairly hot weather.... fun....
View attachment 875309
I have to ask... No chance of working in that barn behind your truck? It would still be hot, but it would be in the shade... Nice looking truck. Yeah, solo is a whole lot more difficult than if you had an extra set of hands (most of the time).

Hammer

That barn there does not have enough overhead clearance, or strength for the task. But that is where all my tools are at.
BUT, I did use another one for the lifting/setting of the top via some CHEAP rachet straps..... Just more humid while IN the barn.
20220807_130522_1024x768.jpg

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Changed the oil, greased all the zerks I could access and gave her a washdown. Plenty more to do to get her ready for Graves Mountain Rally and of the month.

Also finished installing Camo Tek front blinkers. I had to first replace the side markers as they were all badly corroded! I found a great price on Grote markers, probably because they are halogen and not LED (2-3 times the cost for LED). If anyone needs side markers in a hurry (2-day Prime shipping) I recommend these. Just have to hit them with flat black first. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CMH2Z2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I recommend the CAMOTEKSYSTEMS front flasher upgrade. It goes in easy and works perfectly. Even comes with a little packet of dielectric grease for the Packard connectors, which I thought was a nice touch. http://camoteksystems.com/index.php/products-options

Bulldogger
Thank you Bulldogger for the write up. Glad to here you got the bad ones swapped out. Run out there in your PJ's tonite and test them.

That would be a sight to see... LOL, CAMO Camoteksystems.com

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well…. Started chasing down my 32-35mph wobble.. And this happened…
21E83437-5596-4801-AAFF-5FA64F38BE61.jpeg279CA339-161A-4A46-99AA-8A1ADF02F97B.jpeg7AF76A16-FD18-46DA-89C6-EEF783699670.jpegF81BDE36-B1A3-4C1C-99F5-1DB68EDA6CC5.jpeg
New Spindle Bearings
New Idler and Pitman
New bushings on links, sway and A Arms
New Ball Joints
Sanded and painted

They truly needed to be serviced, craps old… but if wobble persists, I’d say I have it narrowed down to wheels 😂😂😂

dilvoy

View attachment 875309
Just in case you are starting with a soft top Humvee. The brackets on both sides of the rear of the windshield are angled back a bit on the Soft Tops as compared to a Humvee that has a Hard Top. The Hard Tops use a flat plate there so the windshield is more vertical. Not much of a difference, but it might affect where you drill holes for your sponsons and will also definitely affect Hard Door installation. When using Hard Doors with the soft top brackets, the top front corner of each front door hits the windshield frame unless you have the doors adjusted rearwards and then you may not get good sealing of the door seals.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know Hummer H1 Eric for some time now. Great guy always out on the trails. Rebuilt that HMMWV from nothing. Converted it to 12V.

Great guy. Capable guy. Great rig.
I am a little confused, is it a Hummer or a Humvee?

Reactions: OBX

HUMMER H1

It’s a HMMWV, but like me he also owns H1. He is a member of The Hummer Network so he kept his same profile name.
thank you Charles.

Yes truck is 1985 Humvee, it has year 2000 H1 motor and transmission.
When I got the truck it was in buckets, I had no knowledge about 24volt system, I have built my own 12v wiring and converted to 12v

So I would say it’s Humvee hybrid 😁 maybe I should put hybrid sign on it too, it’s real.ED992A9D-6FB8-4A6B-9F05-50E6E1D39ED1.jpeg

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had to troubleshoot the motorcycle mostly but once that was done I installed the springs for the soft-door handles. I was wondering why the two doors popped open the last time I drove it around, then noticed there were no springs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks