• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

jake20

Finished up my aluminum gun shield, just needs to be painted now. Definitely half of the weight of the steel one if not less. I made the pintle attachment arm from steel for strength but the entire shield piece is aluminum.

Will see what the wobble is like when driving, the bearing is much happier with this one however.

Attachments

jake20

Nothing like watching paint dry.

Paint codes for the curious:

Rapco 383 Green
Rapco 911 Flat Black
Rapco Red Oxide Zinc Phosphate Primer

Will throw these on tomorrow and see how they look, it’s bizarre how gently you handle things after painting 🤔

Might throw some pattern on the shield but for now it’ll be green

Attachments

Superhonk

If you were in Florida i could give you 2 ok wheels. Find a way and they are yours.
I paid almost $500 from a vendor in Minnesota for a bald treaded, dry rotted sidewall tire and shipping to Nebraska. Took them 6 weeks to send it 2hrs from where I live and within a week of mounting it and not driving it more than 20miles I woke up to it completely flat. They refused to replace it or do anything to make it right, tried to blame it on the tire shop that mounted it, except it was already on the rim and me removing and reinstalling lug nuts didn’t do anything to the sh*t tire they charged me out the a** for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I paid almost $500 from a vendor in Minnesota for a bald treaded, dry rotted sidewall tire and shipping to Nebraska. Took them 6 weeks to send it 2hrs from where I live and within a week of mounting it and not driving it more than 20miles I woke up to it completely flat. They refused to replace it or do anything to make it right, tried to blame it on the tire shop that mounted it, except it was already on the rim and me removing and reinstalling lug nuts didn’t do anything to the sh*t tire they charged me out the a** for

There are a LOT of new-old-stock and barely used tires floating around the various markets - always always ask for the tire's date code before negotiating. I've seen sellers advertising brand new tires that were brand new in 2005, but are not worth the money and time-suck involved.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Successfully repaired my turn signal cancel ring today. Matched up a bolt to fit inside the hole left by the broken off pin. Marked the correct length needed and then hack sawed off the excess along with the bolts head. Chucked the length in a drill and used a file to fine tune the length and give it a somewhat smooth taper. Used some superglue gel along with a very small piece of paper towel shim to make it snug. Works perfect and saved some $ for a repair that probably will not be seen.

IMG_1466.jpg

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Know where Concordia KS is at? Do an bay search..... A one day road trip from you. Eye ball before you buy. My 2 cents.

Autonomy_Lost

Started fabricating a mount for an armor plate I'm about to make. I had to weld the mounting flange on my UPA because it didn't have one.

I'm on track to have a turret(ish) and armor plate for less than a grand.

20230422_155126.jpg
20230422_170434.jpg

Thanks to @BLK HMMWV for the dimensions.

@jake20 what angle did you use to mount the plate? I was planning on a 30 degree angle, not sure if that's right.

Last edited:

rcamacho

Rear camber alignment correction.
LR was at +2.3 +/-0.1
Took out all (3) thick shims for a -1.5 correction per the TM. Actual correction measured closer to -1.9.

This job is a bear on the ECV/REV trucks. Had to remove half shaft to get enough working room on the bolts of the rear most A arm bracket. Much easier as a two man job for bolt loosening/tightening.

Last edited:

AAVP7

This job is a bear on the ECV/REV trucks. Had to remove half shaft to get enough working room on the bolts of the rear most A arm bracket. Much easier as a two man job for bolt loosening/tightening.
I did this on my M997 ambulance recently; I know what you mean. I think I spent half the time just figuring out how to get access to all those completely hidden bolts. Taking the halfshafts out is a must, I think.

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear camber alignment correction.
LR was at +2.3 +/-.02
Took out all (3) thick shims for a -1.5 correction.

Where did you put that gauge to get the measurement?

Superhonk

Know where Concordia KS is at? Do an bay search..... A one day road trip from you. Eye ball before you buy. My 2 cents.
I’m maybe 3-4hrs from Concordia. I got a hell of a deal after scouring the auctions every week for well over a year. It didn’t start at auction time which turned out to be a blessing and luckily I had retiredwarhorses pick it up for me and he was kind enough to go over everything for me and informed me that I did in fact have a hidden gem with 35 miles on it and only needed a few parts to get it back to drivable condition. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend retiredwarhorses for any of your work if you’re close enough to him. As far as tires though, I learned an expensive lesson, and hope to swap to 17” rims and as big of tires as I can get for selling a kidney

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m maybe 3-4hrs from Concordia. I got a hell of a deal after scouring the auctions every week for well over a year. It didn’t start at auction time which turned out to be a blessing and luckily I had retiredwarhorses pick it up for me and he was kind enough to go over everything for me and informed me that I did in fact have a hidden gem with 35 miles on it and only needed a few parts to get it back to drivable condition. I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend retiredwarhorses for any of your work if you’re close enough to him. As far as tires though, I learned an expensive lesson, and hope to swap to 17” rims and as big of tires as I can get for selling a kidney

A: Concordia was in reference to your tires. From time to time I've seen hundreds of them stacked outside.
B: They don't make them any better than Steve.
My 2 cents.

Crapgame

Successfully repaired my turn signal cancel ring today. Matched up a bolt to fit inside the hole left by the broken off pin. Marked the correct length needed and then hack sawed off the excess along with the bolts head. Chucked the length in a drill and used a file to fine tune the length and give it a somewhat smooth taper. Used some superglue gel along with a very small piece of paper towel shim to make it snug. Works perfect and saved some $ for a repair that probably will not be seen.

View attachment 895550
The tapered trip pins should be 5/32" OD (like AR15 hammer and trigger pin OD), I found 5/32" OD zytel nylon round stock on ebay to replace the pins with a more durable plastic chemistry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks