• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

jake20

Made some progress on the chicken shield

View attachment 896550

View attachment 896551
Awesome, what’d you use to replicate the measurements and how did you cut it out? Your setup looks slightly bulkier than mine, I had to keep weight in mind with my older style turret bearing.

Don’t think I ever posted pics of my finished one either.

I basically copied it off an existing steel one and cut it out of an aluminum sheet. Had a buddy bend the corner with a brake at a fabrication shop.

Attachments

Autonomy_Lost

Awesome, what’d you use to replicate the measurements and how did you cut it out? Your setup looks slightly bulkier than mine, I had to keep weight in mind with my older style turret bearing.

Don’t think I ever posted pics of my finished one either.

I basically copied it off an existing steel one and cut it out of an aluminum sheet. Had a buddy bend the corner with a brake at a fabrication shop.
Theres a chicken shield drawing floating around the internet, I used that but had to modify it to work with my setup. My clearances are different because I dont have an actual turret and I'm running a short riser, so I had to make my shield a few inches shorter.

My shield is made from 1/4 aluminum. I work at a metal fabrication shop so I have access to a CNC laser cutter and a large press brake.

The mount is a combination of 1/2 plate steel, 1/4 plate steel, and 2×2×3/16 wall square tubing. It's strong enough that I can stand on it.

Edit: here is the drawing that I referenced:

Chicken plate (1).jpg

Again I made the whole thing shorter. But I also widened the barrel cutout and went with a 35 degree bend instead of a 45 degree bend.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking underneath my truck, there was a wet spot forming on the passenger side frame rail up near the front. Some type of oil, but while it was starting to cover the frame rail, none of it looked to be dripping on the ground.
Finally figured out that one of the transmission oil cooling lines had a damaged clamp, where someone over tightened the worm gear and stripped it out.
Was hard to tell from looking at the top because the oil was dripping from the clamp area, and didn't show leaking oil looking from the top.

New clamps and new hoses and hopefully it's fixed.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Test fit the doors i bought from Austin @beltfed, great guy to buy from.
I have to remove all the hardware and brackets, remake or buy some bracket parts and work on the doors for a smoother finish and a coupme of cracks. I have to figure out the gap on the rear doors and C pillar. Other than that happy and excited with the new to me doors.

Attachments

Autonomy_Lost

Nice! I run a portable setup. A Sigtronics four place intercom and four Fightcom DX5 headsets. I really like your setup.

Mark
Nice! I dont know anything about Sigtronics. I was drawn to the PS Engineering because I'm familiar with them from aviation. They are incredibly capable and affordable, with very good sound quality. I got this unit used on ebay for around $130. It will do 4 positions, and supports connection to a radio.

The headsets I already had, but they can be found used for $75 to $150.

Only real downside to this setup is you really need to know how to do wiring, read schematics, etc. Its NOT plug and play.

Autonomy_Lost

I run a Telex in both trucks, have a lead I can plug into my phone so I can listen to my favorite MP3s
Thinking of dumping the D/Cs for some Bose headsets..
Bose headsets are amazing. They sure are pricey though.

I was planning on hooking an aux input to mine, until I realized my phone doesnt have a headphone output! Gonna have to go bluetooth...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks