• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This week I fixed a broken generator bracket bolt and installed the upgraded brace that goes to the block instead of the exhaust manifold for the 200amp gen. That thing is heavy, I need to invest in a cherry picker.

Then I installed new 2019 Bajas on 24 bolt wheels, replacing the 2007 tires it came from auction with. Those things are even heavier. Finally road worthy.

Next up will be an airlift bumper and rhino tire carrier.
IMG_3296.jpeg

jake20

A
This week I fixed a broken generator bracket bolt and installed the upgraded brace that goes to the block instead of the exhaust manifold for the 200amp gen. That thing is heavy, I need to invest in a cherry picker.

Then I installed new 2019 Bajas on 24 bolt wheels, replacing the 2007 tires it came from auction with. Those things are even heavier. Finally road worthy.

Next up will be an airlift bumper and rhino tire carrier.
View attachment 899743
Makin me want some 24 bolt wheels for myself heh

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A

Makin me want some 24 bolt wheels for myself heh
honestly, they're a pain. You torque each bolt twice, so for 4 wheels you're talking 192 clicks of the torque wrench. So twice as long to bolt together, and twice as long to take apart.
Only really needed if you're running your truck heavy (over 14k lbs)

jake20

honestly, they're a pain. You torque each bolt twice, so for 4 wheels you're talking 192 clicks of the torque wrench. So twice as long to bolt together, and twice as long to take apart.
Only really needed if you're running your truck heavy (over 14k lbs)
My most dreaded part is honestly the run flat insert. Ratchet strapping and prying that thing is pretty lame. Makes me wonder if a tire shop could at least handle that part if I bring them the tires and run flats.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My most dreaded part is honestly the run flat insert. Ratchet strapping and prying that thing is pretty lame. Makes me wonder if a tire shop could at least handle that part if I bring them the tires and run flats.
Some are willing to try, but you will likely be paying them by the hour for them to figure it out.

I found if you ratchet strap one side enough to give the runflat a nice curve to it, then use plenty of tire soap, it pretty much slips right in.
I also take the short hook strap piece off the ratchet strap, and run the hook from the longer strap back to that bar. Makes it so you aren't dealing with as many loose ends or odd bulges in the straps while installing.

Removal I use the tree method. Strap tire to tree on two sides, and run strap from run flat to vehicle of choice. I used farm tractor because it's slow and I can see what's happening.

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some are willing to try, but you will likely be paying them by the hour for them to figure it out.

I found if you ratchet strap one side enough to give the runflat a nice curve to it, then use plenty of tire soap, it pretty much slips right in.
I also take the short hook strap piece off the ratchet strap, and run the hook from the longer strap back to that bar. Makes it so you aren't dealing with as many loose ends or odd bulges in the straps while installing.

Removal I use the tree method. Strap tire to tree on two sides, and run strap from run flat to vehicle of choice. I used farm tractor because it's slow and I can see what's happening.
Bu cutting your strap off so there is just enough to complete the loop and "lock" itself when it is ratcheted it gives you more room on the ratchet to pull it up further. Just my 2 cents.

jake20

Let us know how that goes.........................................

Let us know how that goes.........................................
Oh I’ve already done it a while back, new BFG Bajas on mine. I yanked the run flat out by using 2 trucks pulling apart, similar to @Coug

I just have to do it on another 8 tires soon is what I’m not looking forward to lol

TNDRIVER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh I’ve already done it a while back, new BFG Bajas on mine. I yanked the run flat out by using 2 trucks pulling apart, similar to @Coug

I just have to do it on another 8 tires soon is what I’m not looking forward to lol
No No No .......... Getting the tire shop to change them!

Gastrap

They're fun for sure. I used a strap that comes with over-tire tracks for a skid loader. No hooks makes it easy to work with.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a tool in the 57K0267 tool kit that EVERYONE that owns a HMMWV should have.
I have never tried that tool, I always go with bead locks, maybe someone can comment on that!

AAVP7

There is a tool in the 57K0267 tool kit that EVERYONE that owns a HMMWV should have.
I have never tried that tool, I always go with bead locks, maybe someone can comment on that!
You mean that runflat ratchet thing ? I used that several times. Works nicely, and especially the "release" part is way more controlled than with a cargo strap ratchet.
However, I found my runflat tool was bending under stress, so I welded an extra connection into the open end of the "U"-shaped frame.

A friend of mine owns the local tire shop, and we worked on several Humvee tires. Besides the runflat tool, I also used a set of "Cheap Chinese tire spreaders" like these :Ebayde link . Those help to keep the tire sidewalls spread while you fumble the beadlock or runflat in.

My buddy was so fascinated by those tools that he made me leave the tools with him, and I bought new ones. Still a good deal, since we worked with three people a whole day, and he charged nothing.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks