• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your JEEP today

zout

Well - its not really MY jeep - it belongs to Zout 2. Got it in the garage a couple weeks ago to get it out of the weather.

Going to re-do the hideous decals I originally put on it and get them right. Going to get some parking brake parts ordered up and make that right after I mashed it at the GA Rally a couple years ago damaging the drum.
See where everything goes from there once it starts to get worked on - might just tear down the brakes and see how all of them are fairing.

FrankUSMC

Sand blasted the racks that hold the 106MM shells in the back of the jeep. After chow, I plan on putting primer on them, tomorrow they get paint. This winter the M38A1 jeep in the barn, will become a M38A1C. The M38A1C is a M38A1 jeep with a 106 recoilless rifle on it.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

dmetalmiki

Well I stared at my jeeps for a long time trying to figure out if I could take the overdrive off one of my original Willys, and fit it to the Willys with the V8 flathead engine. Then again could I fit the overdive to (and behind) my rear Winch fitted (off the P.T.O.) Ford Jeep 1942. My preffered option, as that jeep I have owned for ever! would then have "all on" rather like a mechanical spam sandwich. (Not lol!)

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I walked past mine.

On another note, trying to find an overdrive for it. Think I have one coming, but it's a 29 tooth, for a cj-5. But I do have a couple cj-5 transfer cases, so can slap one of those on the 2A, and fit OD to it. Also need an adapter, so the dual shifter PTO can go on the back of the OD. I'll have 6 shifters when done, LOL...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well - its not really MY jeep - it belongs to Zout 2. Got it in the garage a couple weeks ago to get it out of the weather.
Going to re-do the hideous decals I originally put on it and get them right. Going to get some parking brake parts ordered up and make that right after I mashed it at the GA Rally a couple years ago damaging the drum.
See where everything goes from there once it starts to get worked on - might just tear down the brakes and see how all of them are fairing.
It will end up as a frame off restro. Looking forward to it. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This week my Dad and I rebuilt my M38s carburetor. At some point the Carter YS was replaced with a Solex 32PBIC. My Jeep has been incredibly difficult to start since I bought it back in 2013. My father diagnosed it as a non-functional accelerator pump. His lifetime of automotive/carb experience ensured he called it correctly as usual. We had to fabricate a couple of parts the rebuild kit didn't include, but after we put it back together I couldn't keep my M38 from starting after about 1-1.5 seconds of cranking. Even in our current cooler weather it fired up with zero effort. I'll drive it more often now.
Solex.jpg

Happy Jeep.

Jeep Grill.jpg

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my rebuilt carb from Wilson Off-Road, also new fuel lines are in. maybe a warm day or a warm garage...

FrankUSMC

Last week end we got the back tailgate area of the M38A1 cut off. We used a cutting wheel, and a saw, the manual shows a soldier using a chisel! We also got the holes drilled for the tire mount in front of the passenger seat. A small note here, the spare tire holder, and brackets were the hardest parts to find for my M38A1C jeep we are building. Why the military did not use the spare tire holder that came off the rear of the jeep is a mystery to me. Instead the M38A1C jeep had it's own "special" spare tire carrier. We also pulled both seats out of the jeep, and found the drivers seat to have a broken frame. This is where having a couple of parts jeeps come in handy.
Today, we painted inside the tub area. Next weekend, I plan on bringing the 106 recoilless rifle into the barn so we can sand some on it and give it a paint job. It has been setting outside the barn for a couple of years, and needs to be completely repainted again.

CUCVLOVER

I know its a civvy jeep but its basically a last year Willy's with jeep stamped on the fender so delete if you wish.

Me and my dad put the new exhaust on, fixed the radiator leak, changed a broken bolt in one of the spring shackles, and finished designing the new front and rear bumpers/ brush guards on my 74 cj5.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

CUCVLOVER
Todays history lesson, the word Jeep has been owned by just about every car company that has folded......sad, because jeep is sold world wide!
Willys Overland sold out to Kaiser in 1953, then Kaiser sold out to AMC in 1970. My first jeep in 1976 was a 1946 Willys CJ2A, my 2nd jeep a year later was a new AMC 1977 CJ5, that was a long time ago and a lot of jeeps. I have 4 jeeps here now, 1943, 1953, 1955, and a 1983. Yours looks great, very happy it survived the 1970s......ok, I am happy I survived the 1970s!

CUCVLOVER

Thanks for the history lesson.
I've only had it a couple of months but its been a good jeep.
I hope to have plates on it and make it road worthy this spring.
Also its never been wrecked as far as I can tell the frame is in great shape. The body could use some work been its not bad. I've seen worse

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks