• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your MTVR today?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I mention it in the video I think, the stockers are so dim it’s comparable to a horse and buggy, at night 50mph is too fast, the JW Speaker LEDs are a drastic improvement. I can see everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTVR

Thanks.

Wow- an MSRP of almost $500 for the pair- did you buy them at that price point, or were you able to get a discount?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
IMG_5185.jpg
Been doing some work on the truck, just in case anyone doesn’t know, these trucks are DETUNED in CTIS default weight mode of 0-2Ton to 355hp 1350tq, and when 2.1+ ton weight rating is selected you’ll go to the MAX stock rating of 410hp 1550tq.

MTVR

View attachment 795657
Been doing some work on the truck, just in case anyone doesn’t know, these trucks are DETUNED in CTIS default weight mode of 0-2Ton to 355hp 1350tq, and when 2.1+ ton weight rating is selected you’ll go to the MAX stock rating of 410hp 1550tq.

Yes, I read something like that in the operator's manual...

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I did this awhile ago but I will post it now. I thought the truck was driving a little funny and the tires were wearing funny so I thought I would check the front alignment. It was WAY off. So then I checked the alignment of the two rear axles and they were way off too. The rear axles are adjusted just like the front. So I loosened all the tie rods so the adjustments could be made. The loosening took about two weeks because of all the rust and mud. I finally got everything ready for the alignment and I took it to a semi tire shop for them to look at. They said it was way off too.

So you may want to measure from the outside edge of each tire to the outside edge of the opposite tire on the same axle to see if they are all the same. I mean measure from the 3 o'clock position to the other tire and then from the 9 o'clock position to the other tire. The two measurements should be within a 1/4 inch or so. Mine were off by inches and that is not correct!

Once the tires are all aligned, it should ride better and the tires should last longer.

MTVR

That's not how you check toe- normal amounts of lateral tire/wheel runout could really have you chasing your tail if you tried it that way.

Jack it up, and spin each tire against a stationary scribe or marker. Then put it back down, drive it a few feet to settle the suspension, and then measure between the 0300 and 0900 points (or as close as you can get) from the circumferential lines you made. That will give you actual toe.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Today’s adventures included logging 150+ miles on the new transmission tune, and picking a fight with a tire that weighs 2.5x my weight. It was the oldest tire on my truck and apparently hadn’t been dismounted since 01. It laughed at my silicone lube we use for gaskets at work. Oh well 2 tons of pressure and she gave birth with a squeal IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg
60894582417__38FC76ED-F4E3-48E4-A2EF-2BBA3A07F76B.jpg

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not about the truck so much but it relates. I found out from a FOIA request that my truck was stationed at Camp Fuji Japan. I was talking to a Marine the other day, and I mentioned I had a 7 Ton. She said that is cool. Then I said the truck was stationed in Camp Fuji and she said SHE WAS STATIONED THERE TOO. Small world. Later she came to my house and gave me a Camp Fuji coin that she had from when she was living there.

20200504_075457.jpg

20200504_095937.jpg

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a suggestion. We can post summary things to this thread and then if somebody wants more information about the post, a new thread should be started with the details. Then we can find the detail thread much easier.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I have a suggestion. We can post summary things to this thread and then if somebody wants more information about the post, a new thread should be started with the details. Then we can find the detail thread much easier.
Check out the other “What did you do to your xxxx today?” Threads, they are laden with lots of good SS family stuff concerning their trucks. This thread is so dead, that anything posted is a great contribution to keeping it alive imo

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I detailed my truck this last weekend. It looks better but I was just as interested in treating it with chemicals to make it last longer. I am talking about the tires and the cargo cover.

20200503_084825.jpg

Now the tires and cargo cover look like NEW. The real advantage to me is that it stops the sun from destroying the vinyl and rubber. This is what I used:

20200503_084912.jpg

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I straightened my front bumper. My front bumper was bent in on the driver's side like I have seen on many trucks on the GP auction. I decided to fix it by pulling on it with the tractor. That was a big mistake.

20200502_104308.jpg

Now I know why you guys don't like the aluminium bumpers. I was just idling in the tractor as I moved forward but I bent the bumper THE OTHER WAY AND ALMOST BROKE IT OFF. Gosh these bumpers are flimsy.

Here is what my bumper looked like before.

20200502_104253.jpg

I used the bucket of the tractor and a hammer to push the bumper back in line. So now it is straight.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of weeks ago I was watching a video from a Marine camp and it showed the inside of a 7 Ton with the cargo cover on. It had the seats but also had the back rests in place. I had thought the back rests were only installed when the cargo cover was not on. So I checked the TM and saw that the back rests are supposed to be installed with the cargo cover. So this weekend I fixed it by taking it all apart and then installing the back rests.

20200503_160002.jpg

As a bonus, there is a little hook on the rear facing part of the backrest for a rope/cable to be attached there to hold the tailgate level. I mean it comes that way stock.

JonM934

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also took some time this week and fixed something that really bugged me. I did NOT like the back flap of the cargo cover always hanging down when I was trying to get into the bed of the truck. So I rigged up a system so I can pull up the back end of the cargo cover from the ground. If you look close at this photo you can see a small rope that goes from the side to the top and then to the back flap.

20200503_121607.jpg

I installed two eyelets on the top of the cargo cover - one on each side. It keeps the rope in the correct place so the back flap comes up smoothly.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Jealous of that cargo cover! It’s nice.

Uploaded another video on the truck today

MTVR Winch finished and general status update

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks