• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done WITH your FMTV ( trips, Rescues etc) NOT: fixes, updates etc

coachgeo

Got stuck.... to the axles...... with locker..... about 100ft from my house.... we've had just a litttle rain all year long this yearfat lady sings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BYhx_AxT8

so now truck is also getting used to haul scrap, cement, bricks, ..... whatever I can find to fill those ruts..... then will go gravel after that. Use a M105A2 trailer with a Harbor Freight truck bed crane. Fill giant construction waste bags partially then use crane to load this into the trailer. After repeating this till body is exhausted..... Then haul it to my place. Then it is wheel barrow it out to the rut and dump it in. FunFun.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Towed a family off the JFK bridge tonight. I was coming home from an afternoon/evening at the beach. About 21:00 I was headed home off the island going over the bridge and there was a car in the inside lane (of two) broken down just shy of the apex. **** load of tail lights whipping around them. I could tell they were scared as I went by (rightly so for the two guys standing around the car) so I pulled in ahead of them and backed up with every strobe I had on the truck fired up.

A LOT of people get killed on SPID screwing around stalled vehicles so I wanted to get it done as fast as possible. Tossed a shackle and strap at the vehicle's passenger who was already on the pavement in front of the car and made a twisting motion (the driver spoke English but not sure about the other front passenger). I'm thinking "yeah, this guy is gonna get scraped all the way to the Bluff if someone hits them from behind" (and it happens all too often).

But I got them off the bridge and CCPD showed up to flank with lights just as we needed to shift lanes and pull the car off the road. I was talking to the patrol officer and two of the guys from the car were looking for something as the walked back up the pedestrian lane. They somehow managed to lose the pin from my shackle and the driver offered to pay but I told him all was good. I tossed the rest of the tow gear into the bed and RTB'ed to feed the hound.

Long afternoon...

I know it doesn't sound like much, but they were really pretty lucky that it was late and most of the San Antonio traffic had already been thru on their way home. SPID is a death trap for broken down vics.

No photos

coachgeo

Got stuck.... to the axles...... with locker..... about 100ft from my house.... we've had just a litttle rain all year long this yearfat lady sings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3BYhx_AxT8

so now truck is also getting used to haul scrap, cement, bricks, ..... whatever I can find to fill those ruts..... then will go gravel after that. Use a M105A2 trailer with a Harbor Freight truck bed crane. Fill giant construction waste bags partially then use crane to load this into the trailer. After repeating this till body is exhausted..... Then haul it to my place. Then it is wheel barrow it out to the rut and dump it in. FunFun.
fixing the Rut Rows that were made in above video and working toward filling rest of the path with my New to Me... used dump bed insert mounted to a M105A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8k1_d6YaFE

wandering neurons

Coincidental with my little burg of Fallon, NV having a 9/11 memorial event yesterday, an unnamed alternative to SS (no names but the initials are MVPA) was holding a cross-country expedition. The expedition was the 100th anniversary of a military cross-country drive in 1919. About 50 mil vehicles took place in the expedition, starting on the east coast and finishing in a couple of days in San Fran. They happened to be spending several days here in Fallon and participated in the memorial with a caravan through town, static display, and presentation to our Mayor.
About 3/4 of this year's expedition were "smaller" vehicles such as Jeeps, MUTTs, ambulances, a 1918 H-D with sidecar, and more like this. There were a number of "heavies", mostly M900 series, and they were fitted with boxes as expedition campers.
Another local showed up with his non-whistler M-35, and I participated with my M1081 (Goliath) as part of the heavies. Even then, we were the smaller of the lot, and I had the youngest vehicle in attendance, and the only LMTV. Another participant had bought an LMTV for the expedition but dropped out with emergency (spring) brake issues.
And without more ado, photos:
Parking lot with "small" trucks IMG_5282.jpg
Goliath hidden in the middle of the heavies IMG_5281.jpg
Massive "Mili-Bago" (military Winnebago) IMG_5280.jpg
Another view of the smaller vehicles IMG_5275.jpg
The 1918 H-D sidecar and a former driver of same! IMG_5273.jpg
The mayor receiving a commemorative license plate IMG_5269.jpg
Convoy ready to roll! IMG_5264.jpg

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulling a bog harrow

This area was a heavily eroded and grown up ditch. The ditch was 8 ft deep in places and has been there 80 years or more. I have been clearing, contouring, and prepping to turn it into pasture to control the erosion.

The job today was to continue pulling around a bog harrow with the JD 650 dozer but then I got the thought to try the LMTV. It worked great! Aired down to "sand", put on 'Mode', and started pulling. That harrow hardly made any load at all. The LMTV is too long to make corners but a bunch of figure '8's took care of the ends of the field. Wow it was faster and quieter than the dozer! Lots of fun too.

Attachments

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used as our second home...
_18G9913.jpg
Öland, Sweden this summer

Christian

Reworked LMTV

Reminds me of an Unimog.
This area was a heavily eroded and grown up ditch. The ditch was 8 ft deep in places and has been there 80 years or more. I have been clearing, contouring, and prepping to turn it into pasture to control the erosion.

The job today was to continue pulling around a bog harrow with the JD 650 dozer but then I got the thought to try the LMTV. It worked great! Aired down to "sand", put on 'Mode', and started pulling. That harrow hardly made any load at all. The LMTV is too long to make corners but a bunch of figure '8's took care of the ends of the field. Wow it was faster and quieter than the dozer! Lots of fun too.

wandering neurons

Nevada Day Parade 2019, Carson City

Everybody loves a parade, amiright?
The Military Vehicle Preservation Society here in Western Nevada participated in the Nevada Day Parade in Carson City on Saturday. My LMTV was the largest vehicle in the MVPA section, and almost the newest. Was an excellent day other than threading among the parked vehicles staging for the event. On the other hand, I did get to meet our local re-enactor/cosplay lady who was dressed up in her finest for the event. (No pictures, never happened? I got pix and am sharing).

Breakfast at Basque restaurant:
Restaurant2.jpg

Parade from the cab:
Parade2.jpg

Parade1.jpg

Everyone loves to be seen with a pretty woman - man or machine!
image2.jpg

Last edited:

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought it in July, finally got it set up (swapped tires, blanance/rebuilt driveshafts, removed spare & OEM intake, fabbed new intake, removed 5th wheel/decking, relocated hyd controls, relocated trans cooler), registered, and most importantly- legally insured (through Progressive as a private use commercial vehicle), and then I DROVE IT!! Love it!

Took it to the grocery store to pick some stuff up for my wife. It's awesome!

Last edited:

coachgeo

I... finally got it set up (swapped tires, blanance/rebuilt driveshafts, removed spare & OEM intake, fabbed new intake, removed 5th wheel/decking, relocated hyd controls, relocated trans cooler), registered, and most importantly- legally insured (through Progressive as a private use commercial vehicle), and then I DROVE IT!! Love it!

Took it to the grocery store to pick some stuff up for my wife. It's awesome!

[image]
sweeet.... mucho congratulato. what air cleaners/models did you use? if you posted this here already point to thread maybe?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks