• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a CDR valve?

MuddWeiser

I think it is the gold colored thingy with the hoses attached on passenger side of air cleaner?

But what does it do? And how do I know if I need to replace it? What would symptoms be?

I pulled my aircleaner off to check my IP for leaking diesel (IP was fine).

BUT I noticed the inside of my air cleaner was "oily" and the inside of intake manifold was a greasy black color...

papercu

From the web:
The CDR valve is very similar to a PCV valve on gas engine vehicles. It stands for Crankcase Depression Regulator. It's purpose is to recycle the exhaust gases that manage to get past the piston rings and into the crankcase.

If you're using a quart of oil every 1K miles you might want to take a look at the CDR valve.

The Crankcase Depression Regulator (CDR) Valve maintains crankcase pressure. Pressure must be regulated to prevent oil consumption through the intake system, and to prevent oil leaks due to excessive buildup of pressure. Control is accomplished by regulating the blow-by gases into the intake system to be reburned. Inside the CDR valve, a spring holds open a valve plate that connects to the CDR valve body with a flexible diaphragm. The valve plate is capable of restricting the outlet passage to the turbocharger air inlet duct when airflow pulls it closed against the force of the spring. Wayne

MuddWeiser

Someone HAD a bunch for sale. If he doesn't pipe up, I have a few new ones. Dunno what they are worth.
M38InMaine is out of stock :( HE SOLD OVER 600 of them...

So if you have at least 2 (possibly 3) available I will buy them from you :)

PM me with the make/model of the parts you have and we can work a deal from there...

Subjock

I can't believe that there is no aftermarket or alternative valve out there, its just a spring-loaded diaphragm, right? What are the specs on the spring, opening pressure, etc? I bet we could get these made by Global-Spec if we provided an example and a minimum order...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When M38 started offering them for sale, I bought a few. Didn'tt even have a cucv. I do now and glad I got them.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Has anybody ever tried cutting one open and rebuilding it? Seems like a CDR valve that can be disassembled and rebuilt would be a nice product for CUCV and HMMWV owners.

m38inmaine

Yes, I sold all 600 rather quickly. They were never made aftermarket for some reason, perhaps the hummer version is the same? I don't even have a spare for myself!

Milkman357

Any progress?

Did anybody have any progress yet figuring out an alternative to the original CDR.

I can't believe there isn't one available from another application...

Ignus

What do you need the valve for? Couldn't you just run it open like a Mercedes diesel? ie no valve, just a 1/2 inch or so tube running from the valve cover back to the airbox. [123 diesel]

4bogginchevys

please dont quote me, but I remember hearing something about using a valve cover setup from a 6.5 engine allowing use of it's CDR. Hope i'm remembering correctly, sounds like it would be a good mod/available for years to come...:-D

CDN-CUCV

Has anyone had oil coming from their rear main seal as a result of a bad CDR valve? Could this be a symtom? Crank case pressure building up causing oil to push past the seal? From what I've read, it could be the case.

Regardless, a bad CDR or seal or both, I'm on the hunt for a few CDR's now too.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks