• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best brand of flat black paint?

ohfiredude

I am painting the outside of my deuce, and the flat black paint I use (Rustoleum) has shiny blotches in the black area I test painted. I first tried Gillespie (from Rapco) flat black and it came out a little shiny. The original black paint on my truck looks great...no shine at all. Can anybody recommend a brand of black paint that will turn out looking like the original black paint?

Thanks!
OFD

kennys@wi.rr.com

I am currently painting my truck with Rapco green and brown and the Rustoleum black. I am finding pretty much the same. However, the blotches tend to fade out after a few days. My problem is thining the black. I tried the 4:1 that I did with the primer and the Rapco and it was too thick. Then I went to 3:1 and it was too thin. I found the thinner it is the blochier it is. I know it's not the help you really wanted, but it just takes a lot of experimenting with it.

kennys@wi.rr.com

One more thought. I am using Xylene to thin it, I was considering trying Acetone. I once read that Acetone also reduces the "shine" of the paint to make it a bit flatter. Just a thought.

jasonjc

Not shure how it matches but I've always liked Klyon's utaflat black. Use to use it to tuch up the skids and inside of my helicopter.[thumbzup]

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I use Rustoleum flat black, I agree the Rapco black doesnt look right. Rustoleum has changed the paint or something. The Rustoleum from a while back was alot better than the newer stuff in my opinion.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not shure how it matches but I've always liked Klyon's utaflat black. Use to use it to tuch up the skids and inside of my helicopter.[thumbzup]
I'll second the Krylon ultra flat black. It is a perfect match for fresh CARC black.

AMX

I have often used Lacquer thinner for painting equipment. It makes the enamel dull and dries very quickly for less imperfections when spraying outdoors.

ohfiredude

Thanks guys for the advice. I ended up using the Krylon Ultra Flat and the results are much better. Now if I can stop causing the paint to drape after I spray it.

1958 M274

I use Rustoleum flat black, I agree the Rapco black doesnt look right. Rustoleum has changed the paint or something. The Rustoleum from a while back was alot better than the newer stuff in my opinion.
I've noticed the same thing with Rustoleum here lately. Something has changed in the last few months.

ranchhopper

The rustoleum camo paint flat black is OK but the spray nozzle sucks if you just use the rustoleum flat black in the white can the nozzle is much better it will put on a much more even coat.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Gillespie comes with two nozzles depending on the sparay pattern if you use the rattle cans. I used Gillespie and was quite happy. It was a little shiny for a couple of days but eventually matched perfectly with the CARC from the Army. As previously, multiple thin coats are key. There is no reason to get runs.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BLP makes a camo flat black that works good. Might be hard to find as they make it in Mobile AL. Might want to go on the net and find a paint store in your area that handles it, and there is always Egay. Bryan 70456 painted his deuce and it came out looking good!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks