• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best way to balance 395's on MRAPs?

0311DAD

I am getting ready to install my new rims and tires this weekend. Every truck tire shop near me cant balance these big wheels. I still have the run flats in them, so beads are out. any suggestions?

charlietango

I was told with these big wheels and the speeds we're driving not to worry about balance. Most guys can't even do it and the first hold, stump, rock you hit balance is gone anyway ( i was told )

MilSpec78

I know some guys balance these themselves with their own make shift devices. I recall seeing a thread on this recently.

I have MRAPS with 14.00-20s on my truck. Three wheels came with no weights. The fourth had CTIS components and had weights. I removed the CTIS and the weights.

Since mounting them, I have driven between 55 and 60 with them and they feel fine. I might just be lucky but I also wonder how many people are balancing these wheels versus not or if it is needed or recommended at all.

Last edited:

3dAngus

I never balanced mine and they are fine. I do have a cheap wheel balancer with a bubble, but not sure if it would handle 400 pound tires, and I definitely would not pull my tires off to try it, but you're welcome to use it if you want.

0311DAD

All of these replies sound very encouraging, not to mention light on my wallet!

Thanks for the offer 3dAngus, looks like I am going to take my chances.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

michaelpilot1

I have 395's on my A3, the CTIS has been removed, the wheels turn so slowly at the speeds we can run that they don't really need balancing. I run 45psi on mine but would probably be fine at 35 since at 45 the outer edge of the tread lifts slightly off the pavement.

I am getting ready to install my new rims and tires this weekend. Every truck tire shop near me cant balance these big wheels. I still have the run flats in them, so beads are out. any suggestions?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Slime Tire Puncture Sealant, around 24-40oz per tire to settle mine down. I do have one tire with a section repair, this one needs the 40oz to balance it. One of my fronts with a runflat insert just won't balance out, I almost have more Slime TPS in it than air volume! Around 40mph it starts to wobble noticeably...not bad, but noticeable. When I redesign my wheels I will remove the runflat inserts in the front tires, they're not worth the hassle they've given me so far.

Be sure to lube up your wheel O-rings with a silicone di-electric grease...it will solve any random pressure loss issues. So that you won't have to demount tires one by one to do this after you think you're all done... hint-hint. :oops:

aheilmann68

you could look up dynabeads and the ratio of tire size to oz of beads. i used tire slime and thinned it down with glycol and i think it was 28oz for the 365/80's im running, just did it in the front and it helped get rid of one of the speeds where i had some imbalance

charlietango

ok... someone school me on what you guys are talking about wrt the airsoft bb's, beads, glycol and slime. i have been off-roading my whole life but i have never been in one of those communities of clubs where guys actually know what they're talking about when it comes to serious off-road tricks and talk

aheilmann68

BB's, dynabeads all that are a dynamic balancing solution where in simplified terms will smooth out the weight distribution thoughout the tire. its similar to the car wights on the rim however it is in the tire and is further from the rim. If a large tire had to be balanced and you used weights on the rim it would take serious amount of weight to fix a slight imbalance do to the mass of the entire tire. by putting them in the tire they stay to the outside and achieve the furthest distance from the axle centerline and therefore has a higher precieved wight so you can use much less weight to achieve the same results. basically you want a media that will not destroy the inside of the rubber and is free to spin as the media spreads itself out in the tire and puts added weight where the tire needs

aheilmann68

yes but no, the centripetal force keeps the media (either fluid or solid, what ever was put in) on the outer most position in the tire, so just behind the tread so to speak. The media that you use has an initial weight but in reference to the center line it is much more. For example i have a 12" rim and a 24" tire, if i put 5oz on the edge of the rim the equivenant weight at the edge of the tire would only need to be 2.5oz. So by having this weight on the outside think of it as filling in the low spots to even it out but also to use less weight which is the name of the game when trying to balance a 200lb assembly. thats just a way to think of it and is partially how it works and th only real way to get it fully balanced is to spin it on a balancer. if you add too much media you counter act what your trying to do by now adding more weight. dynabeads and other manufactures will give a good description of thier product and theory

0311DAD

Well the 395s are bolted to the truck, front shims have been modified, and a short test drive. I went from a comfortable one handed driver to a nervous two handed driver. It appears that I will have to do some balancing after all. Next weekend I will go ahead and slime all 6 tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks