• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the best way to balance 395's on MRAPs?

Sturgell

I didn't balance my MVT's on modified HEMMT wheels and it only shakes around 70ish. Semi tires are balanced with sand FWIW and I have had mixed results with balancing small tires with Airsoft BB's.

charlietango

could be a front end demon showing its ugly now that you have bigger tires tugging on it or amplifying it so to speak. Definitely swap a couple around and see if she changes. Darn near every deuce (or mlvw) I have driven has had a shake at a certain speed. could be misbalanced drive-train, could be the rim. trouble shoot before you do anything drastic.

0311DAD

I drove it again today. The shake in the steering wheel is intermittent. straight line driving around 50mph and everything is relatively smooth. I do notice a shake in the wheel in a turn, curve etc.

The King Machine

I was told with these big wheels and the speeds we're driving not to worry about balance. Most guys can't even do it and the first hold, stump, rock you hit balance is gone anyway ( i was told )
I agree, I didn't bother. My deuce won't get the tires spinning fast enough to need a balance. The tires also say right on them max speed 50-55 miles per hour for similar reasons. Also its so **** light in the ass end with no load your bouncing around anyhow. I noticed the ass end having more of the basket ball feeling when I changed over from the duels to the 395's

The King Machine

I use Slime Tire Puncture Sealant, around 24-40oz per tire to settle mine down. I do have one tire with a section repair, this one needs the 40oz to balance it. One of my fronts with a runflat insert just won't balance out, I almost have more Slime TPS in it than air volume! Around 40mph it starts to wobble noticeably...not bad, but noticeable. When I redesign my wheels I will remove the runflat inserts in the front tires, they're not worth the hassle they've given me so far.

Doh!!!!!!:cry:
Be sure to lube up your wheel O-rings with a silicone di-electric grease...it will solve any random pressure loss issues. So that you won't have to demount tires one by one to do this after you think you're all done... hint-hint. :oops:

Doh!!!!:cry:

The King Machine

You get used to the shake, I think it may be related to the increase in tires size and the feed back sent to the steering wheel because of it. An un balanced 40" compared to a 46-47 with be significant change and take some of getting used to even with your best effort to balance them. More so with no power steering.

0311DAD

After a couple of weeks of trying to get this tire and wheel combo to feel comfortable while i am driving, I have come to the conclusion that the big tires arent worth it. I will reinstall the 11.00-20 ndcc's back on and enjoy driving my truck again.

Scarecrow1

So long as I stay around 45 to 50 Its all good but when I get over this it is a pain. When I picked the truck up and drove it home you couldn't go over 50. The more I drove it it seemed to level out the flat spots. I called a commercial tire shop and they said they use a product called equal but, It could cost 40 to 50 dollars a tire if it even worked . So I am still battling the same problem .......

0311DAD

I contacted the person that i purchased the 395's from and he has offered to exchange the michelins for a set of goodyears that have never touched the ground.. I am thinking about spending the few extra dollars to go this route. From my research, the goodyears are much lighter, especially without the runflat,and can be balanced on OTR equipment.

What are eveyones opinions on Michelins vs Goodyears... as far as 395's go

acme66

I was talking with an old farmer who stopped to check out my truck and mentioned how it was like a trotting horse when all the heavy spots line up. He said they always used to fill their agricultural tires with saltwater. They did it for extra weight but as a side effect it it stopped the tractor from bouncing as they roaded it between fields. Now I would never put saltwater in my wheels but antifreeze on the other hand... Seems like the same concept as bb's or slime with less mess or effort. You could pull the valve out of the stem and dribble it in with a hose and funnel. I know they sell fluid balancing rings for heavy OTR trucks that bolt on behind the tire and this would be the same concept. Has anyone with slime in the tires been saved because of it? You got your deuce or 5ton home because slime was in there or are you using it as just a fluid in the tire to balance it? Antifreeze would not go solid where I live, seems simple to clean up when breaking down or patching and the addition of 2-3 lbs per tire can't have much of an effect on anything but road speed balance. Fluid in the tires is an old an accepted practice.

Ken

chux72vette

Now I would never put saltwater in my wheels but antifreeze on the other hand... Seems like the same concept as bb's or slime with less mess or effort. You could pull the valve out of the stem and dribble it in with a hose and funnel. Fluid in the tires is an old an accepted practice.
Hi Ken. Wanted to let you know I know hundreds of ppl with tractors and other equipment that they regularly use antifreeze as I do also. On those type of tires and wheels, it serves more than one purpose. It not only adds weight but also balances the ride considerably. I have 24 inch rims with regular tires on my tractor and have added a gallon in each. Seen a serious improvement after that and stopped there. I haven't done that yet to the deuce but am hopefully getting some balanced XZL's on MRAP's soon that are already balanced and new. Will see soon if anything else is needed. Just some thoughts~
Chuck~

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks