• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the most reliable Deuce?

13thArmy

Hello everyone. I am a new guy here and want to hear everyones experiences with their Deuce. If you have some inside info about your vehicle then I would love to hear it. Questions like, is it best to have a turbo diesel? Which motor is best? Anything that you would like to sound off would be nice to hear. As a new guy here I would like to have too much information, as opposed to too little information. So fire away, the range is open.... Oww, did I mention that I love pics?:cool:

Heavysteven

Hello everyone. I am a new guy here and want to hear everyones experiences with their Deuce. If you have some inside info about your vehicle then I would love to hear it. Questions like, is it best to have a turbo diesel? Which motor is best? Anything that you would like to sound off would be nice to hear. As a new guy here I would like to have too much information, as opposed to too little information. So fire away, the range is open.... Oww, did I mention that I love pics?:cool:
I think there all the same. All depeneds on how there taken care of.

Here is my list though
Best M35A3 1993 and up
Then 1980's split brake system M35A2's
Then 1971's M35A2

Mine is a 1971 rebuilt in completely in 1989 and again some what again in 2000.

So inconclusion I think mines the best in my mind.

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both an M35A2 and an M35A3. I like them both. Both appear to be very reliable. I was going to sell one or the other, but I can't make my mind up so I will most likely keep both. Don't tell my wife! I've had my A2 for about a year and a half and drive it regularly and use it on my property. I just got the A3 in January of this year, so my experience level is less with the A3 than the A2. The A3 is more complicated than the A2, but that doesn't necessarily equate to less reliable. Since you live in Canada, Canadian Deuces are different as far as drive-train. Are you talking about getting a Canadian Deuce or American? As others have mentioned, search the posts and you will find a lot of good information.

13thArmy

You ask some good questions GlCaines. I really do not know how difficult it is to export American vehicles to Canada. Here is the appropiate time for anyone with experience in this matter to say a word or 2. I want a vehicle that has a winch, and preferably a manual shift transmission as opposed to an automatic, so I guess that rules out an A3.I plan on using the pto from the winch to run the hydraulics of a crane, as the truck will be a full time working machine. Also, the fact that early vehicles have a single master brake cylinder, makes me think that a newer vehicle is the way to go. Please keep the info coming.:driver:

91W350

You probably want a five ton then. The deuce is a fine machine, but hydraulic cranes I would think, better suited to a five ton chassis. Glen

Similar, only much stouter... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfNlBaw6oA[/media]

One working in the mountains, big strong truck...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRJd6zqu0I&feature=related[/media]

Last edited:

13thArmy

I really like your truck 91, and I have watched all your videos. Are parts just as easy to come by for your truck as they are for a deuce? Can you tell me about the advantages of having a winch? do you ever use it? Is it easy to convert the power flow form the pto to a crane? I also notice that you are running some oversize tires. Can you tell me about the cost and off road capabilities of them? Cheers, Allan.

91W350

Sounds like you may want to consider/look at a 5 ton wrecker also; just a thought. Good luck with everything and welcome to Steel Soldiers!
X2! M816 would be a great truck to own!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm95Dh_2Guk[/media]

Those trucks were not mine. The only five ton I ever drove much was an old gasser bridge truck, huge, fuel thirsty, crude, slow and can idle out a fair sized cottonwood tree. What a horse of a truck. It had a huge gasoline inline six and made less than 2 miles per gallon. It is incredibly slow. The newer version with the Cummins diesel and power steering is a huge improvement. We use the winch a lot, it is a handy thing to have around the car museum.

Attachments

You probably want a five ton then. The deuce is a fine machine, but hydraulic cranes I would think, better suited to a five ton chassis. Glen

Similar, only much stouter... [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfNlBaw6oA[/media]
One working in the mountains, big strong truck...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRJd6zqu0I&feature=related[/media]
Nice!! Those 5 tons make the Deuce look small. Why do I feel inadequate all of a sudden? LOL

LC

13thArmy

The m813 5 tons do look nice, but I still would like to know about the availability of parts. The wrecker style truck would not suit my needs because I want a crane that can lift medium to light loads with a long reach. I would probably put an aftermarket crane like a Hiab inbetween the cab and the cargo area so that I can load lumber and roof trusses in the back and then lift them up to were I need to place them on a building. I do appreciate the inspiration that everyone is giving me here. Lots of food for thought.:driver:

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The m813 5 tons do look nice, but I still would like to know about the availability of parts. The wrecker style truck would not suit my needs because I want a crane that can lift medium to light loads with a long reach. I would probably put an aftermarket crane like a Hiab inbetween the cab and the cargo area so that I can load lumber and roof trusses in the back and then lift them up to were I need to place them on a building. I do appreciate the inspiration that everyone is giving me here. Lots of food for thought.:driver:
This M36C at one time had been listed in SS classifieds for sale. It's already in Canada.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks