• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the most reliable Deuce?

91W350

I doubt you will have any trouble finding 5 ton parts, probably need fewer of them as well. I would try to find one with the naturally aspirated Cummins 250 in it. That is a very popular engine, was widely used and parts should be easy to find. I remember the build on that M36, it was fun to watch him building it.

bigugh20

I've seen mention a couple of times that 71 and later 2 1/2 tons were preferable to the earlier ones. What did those trucks receive that the older ones didn't? Is that when the changeover from LD to LDT took place?

13thArmy

Thanks for the info guys. Quick question to 91W350, why would the Cummins without a turbo be the best bet? Are turbo vehicles abused? Just curious. Also, do the 5 tons have air brakes or are they air assist like the 2.5 tons? Lots of questions and I hope everyone can bear with me....:idea:

Bighurt

Because the 5 tons came with the muilti-fuel or the cummins 250 which is air aspirated, depending on yer of production. However there are turbo kits for the Cummins.

I think people just prefer the Cummins due to the reliability, availability of parts and it has a higher HP rating than the muiltifuel. It's also far easier to find a 5 ton with the cummins vs a multifuel version.

91W350

Five tons are heavy. If you ever spent any time around one you quickly appreciate how well built they are. They also have power steering, which would be great for your application. They are air assisted hydraulic brakes. Personally, I have no problem with the multi fuel engine. The 250 was widely used in the civilian market and about any parts store can fix you up. With the multi they look at you kind of funny, like what is that? For crane work a stiffer chassis and vehicle weight is a huge plus. Five tons weigh almost double what a deuce weighs, bigger and heavier load rated tires. I love the deuce but it is a medium duty truck.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My deuce is the most dependable, just clicked over 70,000 miles. FWIW, I've had 5 tons in the past and won't own another one simply because of my back. I can't lift the parts to maintain them. On the other hand, I can with the deuce. A Hiab on a deuce works just great and keeps you under the CDL (states) requirement. As long as you don't put some massive Hiab with 100' reach, the deuce chassis handles it well. The foremost authority on this would be Cranetruck. He has a Hiab equipped deuce and has been all over the country with it. I've seen it operate in MD, I've operated it in FL and Jones dealt with it in CA. A 5 ton would be nice but for the reasons I listed, I think the deuce is an equally suitable platform. One day when the Eagle lands, I'll put a knuckleboom on my cargo truck and park my M108 for good.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You ask some good questions GlCaines. I really do not know how difficult it is to export American vehicles to Canada. Here is the appropiate time for anyone with experience in this matter to say a word or 2. I want a vehicle that has a winch, and preferably a manual shift transmission as opposed to an automatic, so I guess that rules out an A3.I plan on using the pto from the winch to run the hydraulics of a crane, as the truck will be a full time working machine. Also, the fact that early vehicles have a single master brake cylinder, makes me think that a newer vehicle is the way to go. Please keep the info coming.:driver:
I'm still wondering what jobs you expect to perform with the truck you want. In your "about me info" you list your occupation as carpenter. There is the age old mantra that bigger is always better. Whatever it is. I believe that a tool fitting the job best is the correct answer for equipment on a job so bigger is not always better. You have many options of equipping a truck that will suit your needs. The M36C in Canada was an excellent example as is Cranetruck's HIAB equipped deuce. PCTRANS Frankenstein monster and more. A friend has a Mack powered Ford with a HIAB 1165 mounted that does a great job also. In the end they are all good!

Attachments

flighht2k5

Banned
Five tons are heavy. If you ever spent any time around one you quickly appreciate how well built they are. They also have power steering, which would be great for your application. They are air assisted hydraulic brakes. Personally, I have no problem with the multi fuel engine. The 250 was widely used in the civilian market and about any parts store can fix you up. With the multi they look at you kind of funny, like what is that? For crane work a stiffer chassis and vehicle weight is a huge plus. Five tons weigh almost double what a deuce weighs, bigger and heavier load rated tires. I love the deuce but it is a medium duty truck.
A heavy vehicle doesn't always convey strength.

91W350

No argument there, look at the Mog in your avatar or any old Toyota Land Cruiser for example. I guess when I read crane I equate it to moving weight and the truck is the counterweight. When I worked for a crane rental company, we had a fleet of small cranes mounted on twin screw Ford 900 trucks and either their out diggers were not long enough or the truck was too light. They were relatively easy to tip sideways. Those cranes were mounted right behind the cab. I do think the five ton is a tougher truck than the deuce in a working environment. He will also want to keep in mind insuring, tagging and driver's license requirements for vehicle weight in his area. The larger truck may be cost prohibitive for his application.

flighht2k5

Banned
No argument there, look at the Mog in your avatar or any old Toyota Land Cruiser for example. I guess when I read crane I equate it to moving weight and the truck is the counterweight. When I worked for a crane rental company, we had a fleet of small cranes mounted on twin screw Ford 900 trucks and either their out diggers were not long enough or the truck was too light. They were relatively easy to tip sideways. Those cranes were mounted right behind the cab. I do think the five ton is a tougher truck than the deuce in a working environment. He will also want to keep in mind insuring, tagging and driver's license requirements for vehicle weight in his area. The larger truck may be cost prohibitive for his application.
That makes sense

Bighurt

That's what kept me out of the 5 ton bracket.

Now I have to use the truck to haul just to pay for the above requirements...what's even worse is all the extra crap they tag onto it.

Sirblissfull

The most reliable deuce in the world is the one someone is trying to sell you.

Right up until money changes hands.

:DI know the one I buy will have never broken down, never had a mechanical issue and be all original factory parts. Rebuilt every Sunday by a nice little old man with 2 thousand years experience working on these trucks.:D

fat lady sings

13thArmy

Thank you for the pics you posted 11echo. The first pic with the Deuce loading roof trusses on a log house is exactly the application that I will be preforming. It gives me some inspiration for the truck that I will eventually buy. The problem that I am facing is getting the truck to Canada. Most of the US sellers more than likely have an end use certificate making a foreinger(Canadian) unable to purchase the truck. I am seriously considering a M36, and then adding a crane myself at some point. The only thing that scares me off is the turning radius of a M36.:roll:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think that where the truck did its tour has a lot to do too. We see trucks at FT Meade that has been attached to some units in the Balto and DC area guard units and they are trashed. I went out to Iowa and picked up 4 of the most pristine deuces I have ever seen hit GL. One was a depot rebuild that had 11 x20 Firestone street tires. All were 1971 vintage. it seems the units staffed with farmers or located in agrarian areas, take better care of their trucks. That is my opinion.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the pics you posted 11echo. The first pic with the Deuce loading roof trusses on a log house is exactly the application that I will be preforming. It gives me some inspiration for the truck that I will eventually buy. The problem that I am facing is getting the truck to Canada. Most of the US sellers more than likely have an end use certificate making a foreinger(Canadian) unable to purchase the truck. I am seriously considering a M36, and then adding a crane myself at some point. The only thing that scares me off is the turning radius of a M36.:roll:
A couple of more inspirational (perhaps) images...
We added a 10 Ft section to the boom for an almost 35 Ft reach.

Attachments