• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this?

usmc320

I found several strips of this in the engine compartment the other day. One was on the left side of the engine, one on the right side, and some pieces of it on the air compressor. It looks like something that would come from a radiator, but I couldn't find any damage anywhere. Anyone ever seen this or have any ideas where it might have come from?

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a look around the outer edges of your radiator core. Sometimes the cooling fins in an old radiator start coming out from between the cooling tubes.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is part of the radiator, you need to go look again ,carefully. Those are the "fins" that are between the rows of tubes. It's gonna keep peeling out.

usmc320

Thanks everyone. I'll take a closer look around the radiator. That's what I thought at first too, but didn't see anything the first time and didn't seem to be losing coolant or anything either.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Yeah, that's from a radiator. Those are the fins that go between the tubes, accordian style. It's possible they're from an old radiator that got replaced if you're opening the hood for the first time since you got the truck, but more likely that they're from the radiator that's in the truck right now. Look for missing fins between the tubes... I bet you find air gaps where they should be... Note that if this happens much, the radiator is really going to loose efficiency. :(
C

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just to walk up to this truck you might think the radiator is ok. If you look /lean in there you can see the developing problem. The cooling fins on both side, outside rows are out and missing or will be soon. This radiator was not leaking and the truck ran fine.

Attachments

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the cooling fins are only coming out from the extreme edge of the core my radiator shop says they can sometimes fill that in with rubber inserts to keep pressure on the middle saving the radiator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks