• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what is this

bbf

i was thinking of picking it up i just dont to much about this truck the name plate on the front says GMC and has a crane on the back

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
mann licensed gmc to produce them in the states for the pershing missle system, mann produced them in europe
That is the first gmc built mann that I have seen, most often it It is mann built

page 110/111 out of Fred Crismons "MODERN U.S. MILITARY VEHICLES" shows this truck, page 110 is the pershing system, page 111 shows the MANN/GMC photo-type PLS system. the pic.111 IS the truck, the photo-type, after blowing up the little pic, the front is the PLS verson, head lights are the give a way

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It should have a 8v92TA 500 hp motor, allison CLT-754 5sd auto trans, rockwell T-2214 transfer, eaton axles with mann planetarys in the hubs

A

A/C Cages

i was thinking of picking it up i just dont to much about this truck the name plate on the front says GMC and has a crane on the back

What type of crane? full size or knuckle boom?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M-A-N, stands for Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nurnberg.

In 1989 GMC and MAN teamed up to compete for the Army PLS contract.
If I recall correctly only one prototype was built, and from the lights that looks like it. If so, as 73m819 said, it is powered by a Detroit Diesel 8V92TA, with an Allison 5-speed and a Rockwell transfer case.

It is quite different from the M-A-N KAT. My neighbour, Sarge, has one of those, it is an interesting vehicle.

Cheers

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
M-A-N, stands for Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nurnberg.

In 1989 GMC and MAN teamed up to compete for the Army PLS contract.
If I recall correctly only one prototype was built, and from the lights that looks like it. If so, as 73m819 said, it is powered by a Detroit Diesel 8V92TA, with an Allison 5-speed and a Rockwell transfer case.

It is quite different from the M-A-N KAT. My neighbour, Sarge, has one of those, it is an interesting vehicle.

Cheers
Yep that is what my book states, If that is the case and this is IT, WOW what a find, hope you can get it for a good price and the current owner doe not know what it is, though if he is a SSer then forget that

tcody

Cool truck. The body is a MAN KAT1. Originally these came with a deutz air cooled diesel. I always thought there was only one prototype made for the PLS program and that one is restores and in Canada. Would be interesting to see what's under the cab. Post some more detailed pics!

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yes post some more pics.. looks like its in the woods... im thinking its still at camp shelby .. they have a bunch of stuff like that all over the place[thumbzup]

tcody

Interestingly, what I had thought was the only prototype had OTK06 on the front - yours is OTK05. I'll bet there were at least 6 prototypes of which this is number 5. If so you should find exactly what Ron said as standard equipment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks