• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What model is this?

Ajax MD

Thanks. Not sure on any dry rot. If a little dry rot maybe 70psi?
I run my tires around 80psi for highway travel like the dash plaque says. I agree that you shouldn't take them up to 110 psi if they're dried out.

Like @Jbulach says, if you have a couple of buddies have one of them drive your dually in front of you and have the other buddy follow you with flashers and a "slow vehicle" triangle on the rear of their vehicle.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There has to be someone around there with a 5ton and a towbar.

If I was close enough I'd do it for lunch and some fuel.

Too many unknowns to try to drive it.

I strongly caution against trying to tow it with a pickup truck. Just too much potential for badness, and no real upper limit on the level of potential badness. If you do try this, 10mph maximum and come to a full stop before making turns so that the pickup is actively pulling through the turns - otherwise it'll get pushed sideways.

$350 should get a heavy wrecker service to move it for you.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thank you all. Ok, it passes all the basic safety checks and operates well. Going to do the short drive home today with lead and pilot vehicles. As a plus, it has two full and fresh tanks of fuel and a recent fuel filter change. Floridianson has given me heaps of great over the phone advice as well. I have now sat in the seat and it is indeed a M51A2, multi fuel wo/w. It may be little ugly, but very serviceable. Will post more photos when it is home safe.

Attachments

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Needle scaler eh? I have a HF model I have never tried out. I have been suggested so many options from a wire wheel to sand blasting. My goal is not a show truck, but to stop all rust and make it look decent. I do own a HVLP gun set and adequate air compressor. Have a new door coming also.

Ajax MD

Needle scaler eh? I have a HF model I have never tried out. I have been suggested so many options from a wire wheel to sand blasting. My goal is not a show truck, but to stop all rust and make it look decent. I do own a HVLP gun set and adequate air compressor. Have a new door coming also.
You'll die of old age before you wire wheel that truck. Just hit the worst parts with the needle scaler and paint the whole damn thing with Gillespie Coatings.

You can do the standard CARC 383 substitute but if you want to do Vietnam era colors, they sell that too.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hah, point taken. What do I do to the non rusty paint to make the new paint stick?
Angle grinder with a wire brush for the easy to reach places. Sandblaster and needle scaler for the harder to reach places.

Pressure wash and green scratch pad to prep.

Behr housepaint the color of choice. (This is better than it sounds)

Edit to add pic . Current picture of a truck we painted with housepaint 3 years ago.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: cwc

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
House paint eh? No primer? I need some tires like that too!
In your climate, some kind of rust inhibiting primer is probably a good idea. We used no primer, just mostly intact but faded CARC.

The tires are michelin XZL 395's and are a good choice for your dump truck. You should be able to find some on 10 bolt lmtv rims which will bolt right up to your 5ton, requiring only new lugnuts. (The pictured truck is a deuce and therefor required adapters).

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My local Sherwin Williams rep was very helpful when I was looking for paint to use on my truck.
She got together with the support people who recommended SHER-CRYL HPA (High Performance Acrylic)
Can be sprayed, rolled, or brushed and looks pretty good to me.
Went with 24084 paint code from the FS595B which is Semi-Gloss. They made it up with Ultradeep Base.
I paid about $60.00 per gallon on a contractor account.
https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=SWPROTECT&doctype=PDS&lang=E&prodno=B66R300

Their system used KEM BOND HS Primer in Gray color for my application. Pretty serious stuff.
https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=SWPROTECT&doctype=PDS&lang=E&prodno=B50NZ3
Good results wherever I used it. Proper prep required. In rusty places I applied the primer over a Rustoleum rust converter per the converter instructions.

I also used the Acrylic by itself on top of existing paint with almost no prep and it has been holding up surprisingly well.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Home later than expected, had a few glitches in getting her started and moving but she is home. Tomorrow will get to start going through what is needed. After the belts stopped squealing she sounds pretty good. Blowing a lot of smoke, hoping it's the air filter and not injectors.

Attachments

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a fun truck. Glad you got it home safely. Good luck with it.

Idk how much paint it would take to do the whole truck. I have been mostly painting the undercarriage where the East Coast rust was the worst. I think I used up a gallon of primer and two gallons of paint so far. Brush painting probably uses a lot more paint than if I was spraying it.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a fun truck. Glad you got it home safely. Good luck with it.

Idk how much paint it would take to do the whole truck. I have been mostly painting the undercarriage where the East Coast rust was the worst. I think I used up a gallon of primer and two gallons of paint so far. Brush painting probably uses a lot more paint than if I was spraying it.
4 gallons of CARC does a complete 5ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks