• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What should a MEP-002a / MEP-003a be worth?

derf

The military spec'd manual adjustment because the gen may be in sub tropical sea level heat one day and at high altitude in the snow capped mountains the next day.
For the military they're portable, for civilians, not so much.

SteveH

Time for me to liquidate some of my stuff as I approach retirement and a move south.

I've got a MEP-003 unit with 7 hours of run time. This unit has the oil pressure gauge mounted on the front not the side because it was off of a laundry unit.

Asking $2,500. This is not a rebuilt unit but brand new from storage.
PM sent

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have 3 MEP-003a, only 2 will run . They are tempermental at best. One will run when it finally starts for 1 or 2 minutes then it shuts down and will not restart until the next day. I installed new injectors and new injector pump to no avail. Have over 3k invested in it. The other one would start and run for awhile but now it won`t even start. I`m sick of MEP- 003`s. I`ve cleaned the tanks on all 3.

Isaac-1

Just thought I would update this thread with results of today's sale at Ft Polk, LA, this is "Cyber Monday" Dec 2, 2013, the off season for generators here in the south, but we have had some unseasonably cold weather last week, so may have some winter storm prep going on.

Today's batch included about 20 generators, a mix of Yanmar diesel powered 3KW MEP-016D's, 3KW MEP-701a (MEP-016B in ASK), 5KW MEP-002a's and a single MEP-003a, all were skid mounted, no trailer mounted units, most were showing several hundred to low thousand hours on the meter, no pristine rebuilds in the batch, but some low hour showing MEP-016D's showing surface rust.

Most of the MEP-016D's went in the $320 - $360 range, the MEP-701a's mostly went a little higher in the $330 - $400 range, all but 4 of the auctions closed on time with no 15 minute rule invoked, bidding war started on the last 4 3KW units with the last to close and highest MEP-701a going to over $500 over half an hour after scheduled closing, MEP-002a's sold from $640 - $680, and the lone MEP-003a with 333 hours showing on the meter went for $1,100

I thought about bidding on a couple of the MEP-016D's maybe even the 70a's, but I have too many projects going right now and not enough surplus cash in the bank. In fact I did bit on a couple when the prices were under $300

All prices are bid prices before fees and tax

W7DMS

gen prices from the pnw, ft lewis, wash. two 003 on a trailer $4,000. 701 went for $541 & $590. a bunch of 16e down south, just in time for xmas.

DeucesWild11

Up in the NE the prices have been crazy lately, 002's going for $1800 or more with no trailer.. that's just crazy in my opinion. For that price I rather pay a little more and get a known good running unit from someone here on SS.

MDdeuce

I know it has been discussed, but this thread (and others) are older - in the current market (2016, mid-atlantic/northeast states) what is a MEP-003a worth?

MEP-003s seem to be fairly far and few between on GL and GP these days, and the ones that do show up seem to be pretty beat (though a nice looking one went out of DE today - ugh, need to check more often). Given this, I'm guessing I'm gonna need to go 3rd party. Found a couple places reselling the units, Battle Grade Electric in NH and Green Mountain Generators in VT. They are asking $3,850-$3,999 for a refurbished, load tested unit ready to go.

They will throw in an ASK for $650. Does the ASK add any weather resistance? I like the look of the ASK, but I'm sure it will make maintenance a PITA. I'm not too concerned about noise, I'm on 12ac and neighbors are not too close. Plus they can follow the rumble to charge their phones.

What do you guys think? Too high or a good deal? Anybody dealt with these guys before? Good/bad experiences? Recommend another place?

Chainbreaker

...What do you guys think? Too high or a good deal? Anybody dealt with these guys before? Good/bad experiences? Recommend another place?
Have you looked on Craigslist? I bought all 3 of my gensets (MEP-002a's) via CL. I was able to see 2 of them run and produce power before negotiating price. The 3rd one was an alleged "non-runner" that I bought for $200 as a parts donor that turned out to be a 100% fully functioning runner without spending a dime. I have had great luck with CL but you have to check it often and act quick if one comes up. You need to know what to look for and how to check it out thoroughly when you do run across one.

As for paying top dollar for a fully load tested ready-to-go unit I think it depends how badly you need it and the value you place on their service. If you have the time to wait and skills to verify operation (as well as troubleshoot and possibly repair) you could save a thousand $ or two on the prices you were quoted by finding a private seller.

dano03

I just bought 2 non running MEP 002A's with low hours for $600 per unit. Looks like one might be a go; (17 hr), the other (4 hrs)is missing the throttle and fuel pumps . This was a gov deals auction.

MDdeuce

I have checked CL from time to time. Mostly seems to be MEP-80x generators lately. Not an urgent need, and I would prefer a unit that needs a little TLC to save some $$. Guess I'll stalk GL, GP, GD and CL to see if I can catch a deal.

Chainbreaker

Also, don't forget to scan eBay as well. Quite a few come up there and if close enough you can do a local pickup. If nearby I would ask if you could preview the unit prior to committing to a purchase. If you are persistent and stay on the hunt you will eventually run across a deal.

Jboulay

After a long period of researching generators to back up my whole house and shop, I decided I wanted an MEP-003A. I have too many projects now, and didn't want another one, so I chose to buy one in working condition from an eBay seller with 100% feedback who buys them, fixes them up, and resells them. I'm sure you can find a better deal by buying directly at auction and doing the repairs, but for $2400+shpg I got exactly what I wanted. At the seller's suggestion, I used uShip to find a trucking company with a good price. It turned out to be $330 to have the unit picked up with a lift-gate truck, wrapped in a blanket and stretch wrapped, strapped to a pallet, trucked about 500 miles, and delivered to me on a lift-gate truck. I'm sure the pallet wasn't necessary, but they did it.

I don't see one on eBay at the moment, but they do come up fairly regularly. Of course you're not guaranteed to get a perfect unit from eBay, but I talked to this seller on the phone about the generator ahead of time, got shipping advice, and the feeling he was sincere. He even suggested I do an Internet search for his name to find out more about him.

Just wondering, storeman, why do you say an MEP-003A is not suitable for backup power unless modified?

Hello Jim,
I know this thread is dated but do you know if the ebay seller name you bought 003 still sell them? I'm interested in buying .

Jboulay

ALLCON:

I own a business. Have manufacturing capabilities (full service CNC machine shop, and multiple assets and national vendors).

Have played the GovLiquidation game before it was GL (Levy Latham)...have spent over $300K in the last 5 years with GL. I know the system pretty well.
I CAN complete with the Groban's and others that resell these on ebay...etc.

I am NOT looking to make major money here...but if there is a demand for generators and parts, I will start using my financial assets to...maybe start some sort of partnership with members of this site (to assist in the "distribution" of these great generators.

If this post steps on the toes of the moderators/site rules...I will retract.

I am only trying to help out the "membership" here...as I know these generators are the "bomb" for portable power on a jobsite...Period.

Cheers
Hello Buzz.
Can you help me find a 10kwatts diesel genset?

Jboulay

I got my MEP-701a from a guy in Vermont, who liquidates military items. At the time I bought mine, I believe he also had the 002/003's. For reference, I paid $1000 for my geny.

I can probably find the guys name/number/info if you are interested.
Hello skinny. Can you Please give me contact info on guy in Vermont who sell military items.. If he still does...I'm looking for a 10kwatt diesel genset. Thanks

Jboulay

I have checked CL from time to time. Mostly seems to be MEP-80x generators lately. Not an urgent need, and I would prefer a unit that needs a little TLC to save some $$. Guess I'll stalk GL, GP, GD and CL to see if I can catch a deal.
What is GP, GD mean?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will have a couple 002As available soon, but not the 003. Sure you need everything an 003 will produce?

Triple Jim

Hello Jim,
I know this thread is dated but do you know if the ebay seller name you bought 003 still sell them? I'm interested in buying .
I don't think so. He bought a regulator from me a year or more ago, and I got the impression he was selling off his last one(s) at the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks