• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what should i do. drive or haul it.

bkfran69

I am thinking about buying a deuce in wyoming, I have never driven or touched a deuce. Should I drive it home or pay someone to ship it for me.

mudguppy

ship it. to truely be prepared for a truely unknown condition truck that you don't have any knowledge or experience in getting it road worthy, it'll cost you almost as much in batteries, fluids, belts, and odd-ball spare parts as the shipping cost.

then, when you get it home (via shipper) you can take your time learning about the truck and fixing only those items that need it to get it road worthy. plus, there will be zero chance of 'driver error' and having an incident on Day 1.

2cents

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
A deuce will fit on a "Hotshot" rig (big dually pickup with lowboy trailer) and that is prob the cheapest way to ship one. I have shipped several that way.
The big issue will be getting it on the trailer at the loading site.....I am assuming it is colder than a Siberian well diggers arse out in Wyoming and the truck may not start easily.
I would consider all the alternatives....buying one close to home may end up making the most economic sense.

Just old Wreck's input for what it is worth.

wikallen

What are you looking for in a deuce? There are several for sale here in IA. Some in Cresco, one in Evansdale just to name a few.

whyme

i wouldn't recommend driving it, my experience proved its better to have it towed. consider when you get there you may need a number of parts (brake parts, fluids, belts, batteries) just to get it moving and then you still have to contend with the winter weather. some parts can be had at a local auto parts store bust most will need to be ordered from other members or surplus stores. the wipers might not work, the heater (if it has one) sucks, and the defroster (again if it has one) is marginal at best.

i love driving my truck but even if it were road worthy a long haul in a deuce in the winter is rough. i drive 20 min to work and its a bitterly cold ride.

Last edited:

Barrman

I have done a 40 mile away recovery of a pair of gassers, 200 mile away recovery, a 400 mile away recovery of 4, a 800 mile away recovery and a 1100 mile away recovery of Dueces. Each was driven or flat towed. Adding up all the cost and the miles brings it to about $1.00-$1.50 per mile.

Some took a day, some took a weekend and some took longer. How much is your time worth on top of the cost?

I am very mechanical, had mechanically minded people along and we had help with tools at the pick up points. I also basically memorized the -20 and -10 manuals before the trips. Great memories is what each adventure has turned into. However, each had some tense moments that could have left us sitting out in the middle of nowhere with no choice but to leave the 14,000 pound truck on the side of the road.

It all comes down to what you can do. This time of year, shipping would probably be the best choice.

colelkhunter

I say go for it! If the owner says that it is roadworthy and is willing to stand behind that, then get your traveling panties on and go. Do a very thorough check of the truck when you get there and have him address any issues that you find before you leave. Get a MR. HEATER propane kit from walmart and drive it back. Don't be foolish enough to go by yourself or without a chaser/blocker vehicle however. Carry a set of tools, lubricants,starting fluid (many uses) and head out. Drive it around the block a few times and get the feel of the beast. I hope you can drive a manual transmission. Little heater will keep it nice and toasty in the cab for you, duct tape all the holes in the floorboard up to keep nasty weather out. Let us know how it turned out. Adventure is a wonderful thing, and you will have plenty of stories to tell when you get back.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advice in this thread. I recovered my truck, unknown to me, after three days of PM and a few small repairs and drove it long-distance. I had never driven an M35 before (but numerous other, bigger, trucks). It was in the summer. Nevertheless, I took a significant risk and I knew that. I did not have a buddy, nor a chase vehicle. I would not have done it if working on the truck for a significant time at the departure location had not made me confident that I had good odds. Disassembling the brakes afterwards, at home, showed me that I was indeed playing the odds to some extent. It also taught me that I want to rip the drums off any Deuce of unknown condition before I drive it anywhere, rather than simply checking for leaks and adjusting the brakes. During the recovery, it developed a rad leak that it did not have before - fortunately, very high up and it did not slow me down.

Is your prospective truck currently being driven in road salt? Is that your intended use for the future as well?

My Southern truck has never seen salt and I am adamant not to be the one introducing it to our Northern road salt and winter damage.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While not an Deuce, I drove my M814 home 800 miles. But I had a very knowledgeable buddy with me, and a chase vehicle. We also pulled a complete top to bottom inspection of all the major components of the truck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
have you ever drove any large truck? if your familar with large trucks a duece isn't much different . If you decided to drive it are you able to make repairs on the side of the road in some really sucky condition this time of year and you should still have a back-up plan if it does break down suck as towing companys along the way a short notice low-boy service ect. having it hauled is the safest choice but adventures of recoveries are always fun execpt in sub-zero temps good luck

being its from e-bay see if you can find a SS member in the area of the truck to pre-view it for you , quite a few e-bay sellers are less than honest and pictures don't tell the whole story

Last edited:

Akicita

I hope that 's not you in the picture, bkfran69. Driving a Deuce is not like taking a ride in a stroller.

Seriously though, I recommend you have it hauled home and inspect it before you try and drive it.

paulfarber

For a hauler be prepared for $4-$5 per mile. I got a quote for $400 for just a 75 mile haul (from this board). If you are in the middle of Wy I don't recall much need to stop outside the cities. Get it on the road, plan a trip that has several way stops not to far apart and have the number for some help if needed.

For a LONG trip I would make sure my insurance has rental and trip reimbursements (and they are active) so if you do need to park it.

I plan on risking the 75 miles after a good going over after I get off base.