• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What should I pay 1989 AM General M998 HMMWV 2 Door Soft Top w/Truck Body

tgh567

Hi, I am new here and new to ex-military vehicles in general. I have wanted one for a while and have decided to take the plunge and have put a couple of bids in here or there but nothing. I do think I may have found the one that I want, I am currently leading the pre-bidding, what do you guys think this ones worth? Ultimately would like to convert to 4 door, I'm in Wilmington NC and there are multiple places that scrap HMMWV locally! Thanks for all of your help
Sorry per site rules, no links to live auctions.
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.

Last edited by a moderator:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hi, I am new here and new to ex-military vehicles in general. I have wanted one for a while and have decided to take the plunge and have put a couple of bids in here or there but nothing. I do think I may have found the one that I want, I am currently leading the pre-bidding, what do you guys think this ones worth? Ultimately would like to convert to 4 door, I'm in Wilmington NC and there are multiple places that scrap HMMWV locally! Thanks for all of your help
Sorry per site rules, no links to live auctions.
• Do NOT post about future or current GL/GP(GovPlanet)/GSA/eBay (including items for sale in buy-it-now formats)/local/city/state/Federal/estate auctions. You may post about any auction after the auction is closed.
It all depends on what your budget is and what you are comfortable spending.

As well as in the other thread you said you had just bought a Hmmwv and were looking for tires and a hood. yet you post here that you are just bidding on one in hopes that you will get it.

Action

just look at closed auctions for HMMWVs of the same condition and area you are looking at. That will tell you what to expect it to go for.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have a "want to buy" forum specifically for finding parts.

This is one thing you're doing right - select a truck based on condition, and worry about doors/tops/etc later as those parts can be swapped more easily than condition can be improved.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If anyone knows where to get a conversion kit 2 door to 4 four that would be great having trouble finding any reasonably priced..
You just switch the bodies. Takes about 5 hours. There is no conversion kit.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

tgh567

Aren't their kits you buy that have the c bar and the canvas and such? I am going to try to piece together but just looking around to find pieces of it now.

big block 88

The bodies are modular and adapt to whatever body you want or need... im not following you conversion question... unless your wanting to go wagon or slant back or hard top 2/4 door from a soft top?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Breton Industries sells a kit with 4 doors, 4 man bows,rails,curtain, and top with all hardware,hinges,strikers. C Pillar needs to be sourced separately.

Rear seats and seat belt hardware need to be sourced separately also.

I have a nos 4 man rear cargo 3 color camo top with bows, spreader, and hardware if interested. Big box and awkward to ship. Pm if interested.

tgh567

Should I be worried?

"
After jump starting, the engine ran. The engine would not re-start after shutting down without jump starting." This is what the truck I'm looking at shows for when they tried to check engine. Not hinting to any particular truck as there are nearly 70 up for sale and 30 with this exact same language. Is this in most cases just a battery, just want to know if this is a big problem that I should be super worried about. There is a video of the truck running good for 15 seconds presumably after they jumped the engine with another car.

Wire Fox

"
After jump starting, the engine ran. The engine would not re-start after shutting down without jump starting." This is what the truck I'm looking at shows for when they tried to check engine. Not hinting to any particular truck as there are nearly 70 up for sale and 30 with this exact same language. Is this in most cases just a battery, just want to know if this is a big problem that I should be super worried about. There is a video of the truck running good for 15 seconds presumably after they jumped the engine with another car.
Sounds to me like the batteries won't hold a charge...or simply need to be recharged to keep going for a couple more years. They don't spend a lot of time on these trucks...presumeably they just look for leaks, check to make sure there's oil, coolant, power steering fluid, and transmission fluid present before trying to start, then take a quick video of the truck running... The only "work" they ever do is try to plug in an unplugged wire, or jump start a battery.

tgh567

I'm hoping its just batteries, theres a video of it running, seems to run good, what batteries should I buy? How many? Sorry about all the questions new to hmmwv's and military equipment in general.

big block 88

Truck should have 6tl batts in it. Trickle charge them for a few days on very low amps they hate high amp charging. Check water levels and electrolytes before charging.

Another military truck can slave another very easy. Its a very dumbed down and more efficient version of jump starting

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck should have 6tl batts in it. Trickle charge them for a few days on very low amps they hate high amp charging. Check water levels and electrolytes before charging.

Another military truck can slave another very easy. Its a very dumbed down and more efficient version of jump starting
Or it may have hawkers, which will charge best at full charge.

You won't know what you have until you pick it up.

In the 5ton world, slaving a vehicle and running it with completely dead batteries, or batteries that won't take a charge is an invitation to a voltage regulator fail and a bunch of fried parts. I don't know that this applies to hmmwvs, but I'd advocate not risking it. Charge them with a charger, one battery at a time.

big block 88

Or it may have hawkers, which will charge best at full charge.

You won't know what you have until you pick it up.

In the 5ton world, slaving a vehicle and running it with completely dead batteries, or batteries that won't take a charge is an invitation to a voltage regulator fail and a bunch of fried parts. I don't know that this applies to hmmwvs, but I'd advocate not risking it. Charge them with a charger, one battery at a time.
must depend on the location. The few ive looked at around here NG office in topeka all have 6tl. But hawkers would be a plus i dont much care for 6tl batts. Too finicky for my taste.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks