• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do after you get your HAM radio license

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like you have everything for VHF and UHF and plus you have your ft450d for HF
Yup, I'll have:

DR-605 (2m and 70cm)
VX-6000 2m
VX-6000 70cm
VX-6000 6m FM (Not sure if I'm going to keep it in 6M since it's limited on use)
FT-450 (180m to 6M)

Need some HT's too. But I'm thinking I'm going to end up mounting my VX6000's inside my shelter/trailer and making that a camper/ham shack. Would be cool to have a telescoping mast for it to do some camping. I'm going to find a 2m/70cm antenna for the 605 and mount it in my Jeep. I thought about installing a radio in the SEMTT too. But with the noise of a MV, I'm not sure I'd bother/use it much if I did.

General Hood

Glad to know there is a Ham community within the MV community. If you pass through SE OK, give me (KF5PVV) a shout on one of the local repeaters. I have a Kenwood HF rig and Kenwood 2 meter / 440 radio I plan to install in the M923A1 once I get it rolling again

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, I'll have:

DR-605 (2m and 70cm)
VX-6000 2m
VX-6000 70cm
VX-6000 6m FM (Not sure if I'm going to keep it in 6M since it's limited on use)
FT-450 (180m to 6M)

Need some HT's too. But I'm thinking I'm going to end up mounting my VX6000's inside my shelter/trailer and making that a camper/ham shack. Would be cool to have a telescoping mast for it to do some camping. I'm going to find a 2m/70cm antenna for the 605 and mount it in my Jeep. I thought about installing a radio in the SEMTT too. But with the noise of a MV, I'm not sure I'd bother/use it much if I did.

What do you plan on using for a shelter. BTW does anyone have anymore ideas we could add to the first post or do we have most of them?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hope the weather holds out, first field day is tomorrow.

Also it was brought to light to me tonight that the question pool for General changes July 1. Glad I didn't get to far into studying that group.

SgtHaas

de KB1KBT here since 2003. So what do you do after you get your license......... listen.... listen. ..... listen. Get involved with a club. Be open to suggestions and help. Research everything, don't be afraid to upgrade your license and most importantly Have fun!!!
List of my equipment;
Kenwood TS 570sg "HF +6m
FT 8800 "V/U"
FT 2900 vhf
VX6R "V/U HT"
FT60 "V/U HT"
KGUV3D "V/U HT" WOUXUN
Involved in ARES.
Looking forward to equipping my soon to purchase (Monday) M1009 out with all kinds of Ham radio equipment.

73, de KB1KBT Kevin Haas from Maine.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One day I will have to try that out. Any plans to mount a radio in the m114. I know you probably wouldn't hear it while its running but for when you are parked.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Not really sure on radios in most of the MVs. But the shelter is a logical choice to install gear in...

Did some JT65 on 10m today. Made contact with Brazil and Argentina. 25w on a G5RV antenna only 20ft off the ground.
uploadfromtaptalk1436042918626.jpguploadfromtaptalk1436042929489.jpg

General Hood

Not sure this is the proper thread to post this to, but I have some military Peltor headsets with PTT, and of course they are terminated with the military 6 pin connectors. I'd like to use these with our civilian ham radios but unable to find an adaptor cable to transition. I really don't want to cut off the original terminal to jerry rig it. Has anyone seen any adaptors available or know of anyone who makes them? Please adviseIMG_20150713_153310927_HDR.jpg

CliffSegar

I would be almost certain you would need to build your own adapter. Maybe find a "parts radio" with the connector and make the adapter(s) for whichever rigs you use.

Timberwolf22

Been building out my S250 with HAM and Military radios....... will take some current pictures but this is where she started.

S250 External.jpgIMG_2032.jpg

I tow it with the M35a3 with S280 in the bed - that let's me dedicate the M105/S250 to all things communications. I have had some really great guys helping with me the radio installations. The bottom radio rack mounts are for some additional RT-246/R-442 and PRC-77's

The 19" network rack on the left has plans to hold all the Civilian HAM radios & scanners plus some computer hardware.

Will update as I complete the shelter.

The civilian "white" mini-frig and AC unit add the "homey" feel to it and let me take advantage of the fact that once I key a radio I had better be running on generator or shore power.

I may own a few more $ HT's but you just can't go wrong with the Baofeng UV5R+ I have a box of them and a few cheaper Wouxun HT's as well that have worked well.

Last edited:

General Hood

Been building out my S250 with HAM and Military radios....... will take some current pictures but this is where she started.

View attachment 571194View attachment 571192

I tow it with the M35a3 with S280 in the bed - that let's me dedicate the M105/S250 to all things communications. I have had some really great guys helping with me the radio installations. The bottom radio rack mounts are for some additional RT-246/R-442 and PRC-77's

The 19" network rack on the left has plans to hold all the Civilian HAM radios & scanners plus some computer hardware.

Will update as I complete the shelter.

The civilian "white" mini-frig and AC unit add the "homey" feel to it and let me take advantage of the fact that once I key a radio I had better be running on generator or shore power.

I may own a few more $ HT's but you just can't go wrong with the Baofeng UV5R+ I have a box of them and a few cheaper Wouxun HT's as well that have worked well.
We look forward to your future update (with photos). I'm toying with the idea of a mobile communications shelter as well

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks