• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to do after you get your HAM radio license

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on your Tech, study up and get your General, no doubt there are hams in your area that hold classes that in itself means a lot in understanding theory.

73's Merle
KA7APL

ke5eua

Passed! I better since there was an 11 year old there that was going on for his General (I stopped at Tech). Only thing that made me feel better about that was I at least out scored him.
Congratulations on your Tech, study up and get your General, no doubt there are hams in your area that hold classes that in itself means a lot in understanding theory.

73's Merle
KA7APL
Got a good friend in San Antonio that his wife would love for him to get out of the house more.

KE5FEN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
N4TJS here - Extra - reading this thread has inspired me to get my HF rig fixed (or replaced). It got fried a couple years ago by a nearby lightning strike. Will follow along - hopefully we can get an informal net started sometime.

73's, Bill

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally posted today: KG5RKO

Think I'll keep that one even if I were to pass the Extra test. I like having RKO in a radio call sign :)

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mkcoen

Good for you, when I got my ham ticket I was and still am proud of it, and have had the same call since the 70's.

Merle
KA7APL 73's

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need to get a schedule going, and those that have their tech, need to get their General or better so we can talk MV's. I can talk on 40 and 80 with no problems, will see if my radio likes 20 on my long wire. If interested, PM me.

73's KA7APL

SSGTUSMC

We need to get a schedule going, and those that have their tech, need to get their General or better so we can talk MV's. I can talk on 40 and 80 with no problems, will see if my radio likes 20 on my long wire. If interested, PM me.

73's KA7APL
Thats a great Idea , that would be a good net.

SSgt USMC 0369

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SSGTUSMC

Well my hf wouldn't load on 20, will get up my tribander beam up this summer, so we can talk. Can't talk to Maine on 40 or 80. Would love to set up sched.

73's KA7APL
Merle

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Two years later, I'm studying to take my Extra next month. Probably going to pick up another HF rig tomorrow and a linear. (FT-920 and a Deltron Clipperton L) The 920 will be an upgrade over my 450. But for the package deal price, I can't turn them down. I'm also wanting to look into working some sats (I've given up on making a contact with the ISS). And I need to learn more about the new bands we've just been given access to.

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two years later, I'm studying to take my Extra next month. Probably going to pick up another HF rig tomorrow and a linear. (FT-920 and a Deltron Clipperton L) The 920 will be an upgrade over my 450. But for the package deal price, I can't turn them down. I'm also wanting to look into working some sats (I've given up on making a contact with the ISS). And I need to learn more about the new bands we've just been given access to.
Would still like to get some kind of a sched going 20, no antenna up as yet. The summers are short here and the winters are long. When summer roles around I am scrambling trying to get things done around here. Got nothing done on my deuce last summer. I am behind times on the new band allocations, will have to check and see what they are.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
2,200M 135.7kHz to 137.8kHz, 1W EIRP max
630M 472kHz to 479kHz, 5W EIRP max (Except for AL within 498 miles to Russia, limited to 1W)

o1951

When I retired, I thought I would give back, so I joined OEM, CERT and the Medical Reserve Corps. In 2009, they needed a radio operator in charge of local OEM station. Having worked on tube equipment on and off in the 1950's to 1970's, I had the technical knowledge, so I sat down one night and took the 3 tests and was granted an Extra license. (note, the tests today no longer focus on tube equipment. They are on solid state. I would have to go to school or study to pass today's tests.)

I operated the station equipment, joined a club, became a member of R.A.C.E.S, bought a used 2 meter/440 50 watt transceiver, and put up an antenna.

Like I suspected, I rather be making or fixing something than chat on the radio. I sold the antenna and transceiver, and bought a Baofeng UV 82 for my go bag. Every few months, I charge it and test it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Extra test will be this Saturday for me. I'm consistently passing the quizzes I'm taking now. Not making as high a score as I'd like (I aced tech and only missed one question on general). But I think I will be ready.

Not sure if I brought it up or not, but my new (well a year almost now) neighbor is a ham as well. We're going to the hamfest together actually. My middle son likely will as well.

Main reason I want extra is so I don't have to think about "am I in the band areas I can use" lol.

I'm going to be setting up a loop antenna at home soon. My Henry 2KD classic linear is online and the FT-920 is working. I want to get into some of the wiresx and other internet related radio stuff as well. (When I get some money to invest in the hardware)

Carl_in_NH

Would still like to get some kind of a sched going 20, no antenna up as yet.
May I suggest putting up something really simple for 20m - a dipole. For 20m, it doesn't really need to be all that high up, either. That will get you going without much fuss, and as long as you're not trying to chase down DX at the very margins of signal level it should work just fine.

You can always put up a tri-bander on a tower later - but to get going just keep it simple. You can work the world on 20m with a dipole and 100W. More power and directional antennas just make doing so a little easier.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Got my Extra endorsement today. I'll know my new 2x2 next week.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh and here are the goodies I picked up today. A Bird load bank, handles 1kw continuously. And two pole transformers. What are they for? You'll see eventually....

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks