• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to expect-buying a deuce-moving cross country

bugei

i understand both sides. it depends on how he feels about an "adventure". if he has a few willing friends and an extra vehicle for "chase". its not just a "dumb idea" but a chance for a real life adventure. when we went to get my duece, i had a mechanic go over it pretty good, new master cylinder, change the hoses and stuff that was marginal, then had a friend drive it around and "use it" for a few weeks. then after alot of bad dreams, and whineing and crying, finally sucked it up and went and got it. WE HAD A FREAK'N BLAST. dodge dakota chase truck, a big box of tools, a few gallons of oil and stuff and we were on it. worst problem was a flat on a dual, get this, the guy at the truck stop "thanked us" for letting him work on it.

like i said, if you want (and can tolerate) an adventure, heres your opportunity.

SQUIRL

How often d'you guys take your trucks on long trips? How often do they break down?

I'm assuming (big assumption based on reputation and feedback) that the guys at Eastern would (if asked & paid) take care to inspect and make sure that the truck was ready to go big miles w/ a load.

I wish I could say I have the same faith in U-haul......even with their 24/7 road side assistance. -side note- 2 years ago I rented a truck from u-haul, fully loaded it & it wouldn't start. after multiple hrs on the phone a replacement truck showed up 36 HOURS LATER!! Then the u-haul guys watched and got agitated that it took 1 guy so long to completely unload and reload a van. Not willing to help, of course.....

But I digress.....

I would have a 5-7 days to drive around and test the monster out and get a feel for it.

wolfmangk

Having a 12v and 24v deuce without touching the alternator

I meant to hit the "New Thread" button, woops.

I used to work in the test equipment industry, so I know that these things exist-a dc to dc converter. It's not as easy to convert as AC (Using electromagnetic induction, all you need is a simple xformer for AC) but converting dc to dc isn't impossible.

I know for a fact that having 12 and 24 volts would be really handy. I was reading in another thread about trailer lights-hwo true. I think it would be possible, if you wanted to run a 12v lighted trailer, that maybe you could use a dc to dc converter, and piggyback the brake and turn signal switches (Using relays?) to power the 12v trailer.

Also, who doesn't want to listen to the radio?

Check it out:

http://www.weisd.com/store2/VELPSDC20.html

http://store.altenergystore.com/DC-Voltage-Converters/Samlex-SDC-20-24V-Input-12V-Output-15A/p1050/

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DC-REDUCER-...ryZ48696QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-DC-REDUCER-...ryZ79816QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SQUIRL

Other info...

I'd have the sports car on the trailer if I ever did need to pull it off and drive to the nearest service station. Plus I'd have a good friend of mine -also mechanically inclined- with me...

SQUIRL

Wolf Man THANKS.... I WOULD like to listen to a radio.... I was figuring a boom box w/ d-cells, but those converters are just what the Dr. ordered....

So lights.... solved.... ANybody know if it's possible to put a ball hitch on one of these monsters?

Elwenil

Do you have a trailer already? If not, make sure you get a trailer with a hitch that is a bolt on, adjustable deal. Then you can swap the normal ball socket for a Lunette ring that can be used with the Deuce's pintle hitch. Add 24V bulbs to the lamps and you are good to go.

Another thing to consider is the oddity of adding a brake controller to a Deuce for the civilian trailer brakes.

houdel

SQUIRL said:
1-Yes I am mechanically inclined, but probably won't have the tools on hand to fix it if something goes wrong. Unless it's minor.
2- Slower's fine. My new job comes with 4 weeks of vacation + flex time so if it takes me 1 week or more to drive across it's fine. I figure average speed of 40mph at 1900miles = 50hrs of driving.
3- EXCELLENT POINT! something that I had yet to consider. This will clearly take more investigation. True I could hook up magnetic lights, but I may run into problems with the hitch itself. Is there a typical square receiver that I could plug in a typ. hitch, or just the industrial circular hitch?
4- Another excellent point! I won't be moving any appliances, and the bigest single thing I'm moving is a queen mattress.
5- air ride seat is advertised. But maybe I can tear it out and put my lazyboy in it's place!
6- Are there 24v-12 v converters available, or do I need to wire something up?
7- thanks for the heads up w/ AAA.
8- Please continue to try to bust my bubble.
8: Don't bust the bubble! Eastern surplus has an excellent reputation. Buy the truck ahead of time, drive the crap out of it, and that should give you plenty of time to shake out any bugs. Not that I'd expect anything major, Deuces are pretty bulletproof, given a good set of batteries, all fluids checked and they just keep on running! They are probably as reliable as any civvie automobile and probably more reliable than a typical Ryder or U-Haul junker driven by 1000s of drivers who DGAS because it is not their vehicle.

1: There is plenty of space under the passenger seat. If I go on a long trip I can fit a 1/2" socket set and general mechanic's toolbox under the seat. That is plenty of tools to fix most any problem you are likely to run into.

2: Good estimate. Keep it at 50 mph max, the truck will be happy and purr like a kitten, figuring rest breaks and fuel stops, 40 mph is a reasonable average. DO wear ear muffs, unless you are already permanently deaf. If you don't, after 1900 miles you WILL be permanently deaf.

3. Do a search. There are several threads by members who adapted '80s-90s Chevrolet pick up truck receivers to Deuces, mostly a matter of drilling mounting holes in the Deuce frame. The receiver will be quite high though, do you will need at least a 10" drop hitch adapter to keep things near level.

4. Max headroom with a standard bow & cover set is about 58" at the center and 55" where the corners start to turn down. Figure 425-450 cubic feet of space.

5: It AIN'T air ride, it IS spring ride. But plenty comfortable and beats the heck out of the old rigid box seats!

6: Yes, there are 24V-12V converters available, do a search.

bugei

we had miles and miles of very desolate desert to travel, so my biggest fear was breaking down in the middle of the road and not being able to move the beast off the road. we had a pickup chasing and a bunch of tow stuff just incase we needed to "get it off the road". everyone on this site, and other mv maniacs were all over the "drive it" recommendation these are really tuff trucks, and were designed to "get you home". btw, if you only have little wrenches and sockets, this might be a good time to invest, BEFORE THE TRIP.

12 volts off one battery is easy, especially if you are only in the boom box mode. dueces are a bit loud, you might want some headphones.

lots of guys on this site have much much much more experience with these than i do. so........

my 2 cents is that if you are mentally prepared for an adventure, and your life and or sanity will not be destroyed by something going wrong, and if you are confident that you conveyed your desire for a road worthy truck to the seller, wtf? like you said, it would be hard to be less dependable than u-haul. i have driven some real dangerous crap pretty far under simular circumstances, and wear each trip like a battle scar of life. "what ever does not kill me, just hasn't found out where i live yet"

btw, no guarantees on any part of this. but we did have a great time on our adventure, month later, everyone involved still pumped. (and still friends)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well now that I know you won't have to hear how "dumb you are for useing a deuce to move with" from a significant other, I don't think its THAT bad of an idea. :) Also, if its non-turbo the hearing protection isn't needed (imho). Some have a heater, even fewer have ac(aftermarket option). Make sure you have access to your clothes!

gmayor

I just got in from Utah, 1300 miles, about 3 hours ago. I would suggest you put a pencil to fuel prices versus the rental truck. Some states had gas higher than Diesel, I paid for gas (highest 3.59 and lowest was 2.99). Low fuel mileage and $3 a gallon average times 2,000 miles? Just my thought.....

SQUIRL

Again... Thanks for all the info!

I've found the receiver hitch adapter, most of the tow light information. Some sound words of warning and even a few of encouragement.

I've e-mailed Dave for more information and have a feeling I'll be joining your ranks w/ my own deuce soon!

Any other words of advice, or recommended places I should stop with the deuce?

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No.2Diesel said:
I would do it if you have time to drive the duece for a couple of weeks before you move. Some shakedown time will build your confidence.

Ditto w/Bugei
I brought my deuce home to Ohio from Vermont. About 800 miles. That's not as far as you'll be going, but it was a trek. Most everyone here knows what they're talking about, and it all comes from experience, so I won't challenge any of it. But, one thing is for certain. You're driving a military vehicle in the U.S. That's going to bring out the good in many folk along the way, especially veterans and good patriotic Homeland warriors. I found that the deuce attracted positive attention. I think that will be an ally for you. So, there will come some confidence. Will you have a capable truck partner? I took my good friend and Army TC squad leader in Iraq, along with me. He wasn't the most mechanically inclined, but the best dag-gone driver I know. (My 915 went down in Kirkuk, and I was loaded onto his empty flat-bed for a long ride back into Kuwait. THAT required some trust!). Anyway, one thing we discussed AFTER we arrived in Ohio from Vermont was that it would have been much smarter to have given ourselves a PMCS day. Looking back, we really took a chance on breaking down in a big way. No, we wouldn't have gotten lit up with RPGs and small arms fire necessarily, but the credit-card would have gotten hit pretty hard. That was my only fear, really. We made it fine. Memorable and fun. I'd do it again in an instant. Slammer was as proud as I was. And as for the slow and loud part? That's what made it for me. I just stuck some ear plugs in and let 'er roll for 19 hours.

rwelker

cross country move

This would be a trip to remember............good memories or bad memories. The main thing is prep, prep, and prep. Change (or have Dave change) the belts, hoses, fluids, and any other rubber parts that may have dried out. Take along a spare set of belts, hoses, and other rubber parts and all fluids. Drive WITHIN THE LIMITS OF THE VEHICLE!!! Don't push it. 45 MPH. Estimate how long it will take you to drive it then double that time. A good set of headphones that you can attach to a radio or cd player will stop the boredom. Stop frequently to check for leaks, flats, loose parts, etc. Figure the whole trip as a cross country drive in an antique vehicle, but moving your stuff as well. Take tools, duct tape, wire, bungee cords, spare tires, an air hose, and a good cell phone. List your route on this website and have internet access while traveling. Help is but an email away from people on this site. Last thing: Have a blast!!!

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: cross country move

A good set of headphones that you can attach to a radio or cd player will stop the boredom.
There is a great set of hearing protection / headphones (AM/FM only) called "Work-Tunes." I've seen them at Lowes, Home Depot, Northern Tool (catalog), and maybe even Harbor Freight. They run about $29.99. They're the only way I can cut grass and ride a mower while listening to music clearly, and I know they'll work in the deuce. Only problem may be that many laws, (and definitely Ohio is one), you cannot wear headphones while driving. Whoever wrote the law can take a ride in my truck with me and we'll talk. :lol: Maybe wear a boonie or some floppy hat over them.
I saw and enjoyed the view so much more from the deuce on my trip. Going 56 mph really lets you take it all in. Not a lot of gadgets and distractions in the cab either. Simple! Let's you concentrate and think about things. (Glance over the gages though). I'll never forget the people who pause from their chores or whatever, to stand up, stretch their backs, and look. Some even saluted! Very cool. Keep your camera at the ready, and write things down along the way in a simple little log book. Good for memories and trouble-shooting problems later, especially with the Steel Soldiers.
Send a PM when you think you might be passing along I-70 in Ohio. Maybe I can help you with something should you need it.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial

I dont know about the rest of you guys but after a 300 mile round trip in a duece, I am physically and mentally beat. My hands tingle from holding the steering wheel, my back hurts from having to crouch over to see out the windshield, my ears ring and I am just exhausted. But I would still do it, its all part of the experience, having the windshields popped open with the breeze and bugs in your face, the swamp butt, taking in the scenery at a slower pace. Its a blast! Having the people on this site is better than having AAA. Fuel costs wont really be an issue as you'll have to pay them either way and the duece is actually pretty fuel efficient for its weight. I say do it and have fun, sounds like you have plenty of time.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I saw and enjoyed the view so much more from the deuce on my trip. Going 56 mph really lets you take it all in. Not a lot of gadgets and distractions in the cab either
This couldn't be any truer! I've made a few long journeys in deuces and have seen so much I missed driving at 70MPH. I love deuce road trips! I can also concur with Devin os the hand issues. Just under 2 years ago I drove the tractor 340 miles to Lake City FL loaded up a deuce wrecker on the piggyback device and drove the 340 miles back home. Not only was everything tingling, the palms of my hands were sensitive to hot shower water from working that steering wheel all that way. As far as the Work Tunes made by Peltor, they work great as well. I use the Peltor Powercoms as an intercom. Peltor also makes one called Race Tunes. It's almost exactly like the work tunes but has a plug to pipe in music from an Ipod, scanner or other device.