• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to expect-buying a deuce-moving cross country

Rattlehead

You're thinking like I often do, trying to kill 2 birds with one stone (in this case, getting a cool offroad truck AND avoiding rental fees). Sometimes this works out for me, sometimes it gets me in hip deep!

One thing to consider, do you have the mechanical aptitude to maintain this 35+ year old beast once you get it back? Or are you willing to learn? Do you have the space to keep it and work on it at your new place? Any B.S. zoning laws at your new residence that they can harass you with for parking a "big ugly truck" in your driveway?

As far as tools, you can do most any of the work on these with a normal tool set, up to 1/2" drive, except for the wheel lugs which you will appreciate a 3/4" drive impact and the appropriate sockets. This may be something that you want to have available for the trip, in case of flat tires. Also a good heavy bottle jack. The mil spec one is 8 ton, which I think is marginally small on the base size. Wood cribbing too, so you don't run out of jack reach before you get it off the ground.

Driving a deuce on highways is actually not that stressful if you have faith in it. The main reason is that you are going so much slower than the rest of traffic that you don't really have to worry about that rubbernecking you get in congestion. Other vehicles whiz past you and, in no time, are many car lengths ahead of you, plus you can see over the top of the cars and pickups to see what's coming up, have time to react. As others mentioned though, it is physically tiring, especially in the summer. Lots of air leaks in the cab, major heat radiating through the metal floors and firewall, lots of engine/gear/road noise, dehydration from sweating and wind, etc. I would say that 500 miles in a deuce is equivalent to 8-900 in a passenger car, so plan accordingly. Which brings up the point, where will you stay/sleep during your trip? Added hotel bills? The van box (M109) might keep your stuff more secure, but it also limits your off road access in tight trails, not that a deuce fits through a lot of places anyways.

SQUIRL

Thanks again for all the advice and words of wisdom / encouragement!

If the rest of the country is half as helpful as you guys have been I should have no problems even in the worst case scenarios. Ok... maybe No problems is highly overstated.....

I do plan on upgrading my tool kit and will be sure to have the appropriate jack, as well as a repair manual if available. Are they online anywhere, or is this a amazon.com order?

I've been looking into communication headsets, trailer hitches, & most importantly..... seat padding! Thanks for the heads up on the physical demands. It's something that I had expected, but since I've not driven one (rode in back around a farm once) I may have underestimated it. Do leather driving gloves help? Perhaps some padded mt. bike gloves?

In terms of where to stay..... We would probably have to stay 1 possibly 2 nights, but we would need to stay at least one with a u-haul, so it's mostly a wash. As is the gas due to diesel vs. gas prices.....

I am a DRIVER..... My record is 22 hrs straight in a reliant k-car with a broken seat -(no m35...but far from a caddy!). I've driven back and forth across the country 4-5 times, and regularly go for 6-10 hr excursions without a second thought. On average I rack up 30,000 mi a year but also race, subaru's and porches in my spare time. Of course, growing up in the woods of upstate NY, I used to offroad with the old-man's truck. My co-pilot is also adept at the wheel and has done many long haul trips.

I don't doubt our ability....

I doubt our sanity.....
:cookoo:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Manuals are available here, just click on the Technical Manuals section on the lower left. You will have to right click on the manual and save it to your harddrive to open it. I doubt that extra padding will improve seating and it will take valuable space for seating. I find that 500 miles a day is comfortable (as a deuce goes). You can push it a bit more. My record was a little over 700 but either Clinto or Westech has me beat now. Deuce trips are an adventure.

Rattlehead

Download the manuals in the Technical Manuals section of this website, studying them will help a lot in understanding how these things work.

You don't need gloves, its the back side that suffers the most! Air ride (spring/shock) is a major improvement over the old box seat, but it is still not the most comfortable after a few hours. Otherwise, sounds like you can handle long drives. Just bring plenty of water, and take your time to stop and stretch, etc. With that long of a drive, adding a couple hours for some stops won't make a bit of difference other than to increase comfort.

Also, if you buy the truck, be sure to ask if it has DOT 3 or DOT 5(silicone based) brake fluid, and bring some extra of whatever is in there. Original is DOT 5, but some people convert it. DON'T mix the two! Assuming it has DOT 5, see if Eastern has some to sell you. Buying it at your local auto parts store will be like $5/pint. Surplus gallons much cheaper.

Other things to bring that I can suggest:

gasket material (to make gaskets on the road, in case of repair)
scissors (to cut said gasket material)
RTV
brake cleaner
small funnel for master cylinder (access panel in floor), larger funnel for other stuff
jumper cables (you can jump at least 1/2 of the 24v system with a civvy vehicle)
coolant (low silicate, for diesels)
15w-40 diesel engine oil
gear lube
flashlight
spare fuel filters, at least the primary filter (in case of bad fuel on the road, or loose stuff in tank breaking free)
spare belts?
tire gauge and air chuck
grease gun
glad hand with 25' air hose, with all fittings to connect to air chuck or impact wrench (you can use onboard air supply to fill tires, run air tools)
rubber fuel line and clamps of various size
6 ton rated jack stand

Also keep in mind that these trucks will run with no electrical system intact, though your lights won't work. The electric in tank pump runs all the time but the truck will run without it. My alternator went out on the deuce in bringing it home 450 miles, so I never shut off the truck and we made it home by dusk with dead batteries.

DMgunn

RE: cross country move

I say, absolutely, do it!!! You will have a story no matter how it ends......

Make sure you are able to handle the worst-case scenario. Allow time (and several thousand dollars) for any serious mechanical failures that may happen. Clutch, for example.

Is all your cargo going to be secure if the truck is down for several days in BFE?

On a side note, I have a friend who is moving from CA to ND, and I said that when I am in that position, I will buy a truck to move with, then sell it when I get there (as others have mentioned here). Don't know if he had considered that before talking to me, or if I am responsible, but he did it. What a PITA that has been for him.......being a commercial vehicle, he has had to do TONS of small unimportant (rear main leaking 1 drop per week) and cosmetic (surface rust on wheels) repairs to pass inspection before he can leave for ND. The shop that was doing the work has proven incompetent, and the delays continue. I will never go that route now......

If the truck you are looking at is old enough, try to license it as a collector (25+yrs. old) or antique (40+yrs. old) vehicle. Here in ND, it costs $10 for antique plates, and $40 for collector, and they are permanent. It will not be subject to inspection, either...... Of course, the inspections are ultimately for your own safety, and you really don't want to neglect anything even though they won't be there to "babysit" you.

Oh, and start training now. You must do several hundred mouth presses every day. Otherwise, you will arrive with a very sore jaw from the constant grin.........

steelandcanvas

Squirl, I like your spirit, you get two thumbs up for that. I just recently (Feb '07) purchased a "71 Deuce in Kalifornia, and explained to the Wifey, "it will move some of our stuff to Colorado, and then when we get there, I get to keep the truck!" Well she went for it, we're moved and the Deuce is setting outside. I think it kinda grew on her, she looks out the window and smiles as I tinker with "The Other Woman!" Anyway back to the move...long process...sloooooooow upgrades...slooooooow downgrades, as I had two mountain ranges to cross, Sierras and the Rockies. Most people look at you and give thumbs up, some people don't even know you're there. Fuel consumption...You're not going to like that. You don't sound like you have alot to move, tie it down securely with some ratchet straps. Put a wool blanket in the seat, your butt will thank you, and don't forget hearing protection...Take lots of water in a cooler in the cab, you're going to need it! Say a few words to the Man upstairs and go for it! I wouldn't trade my four day trip from Kali to Colorado for anything! What's even better, my folks went along with us, and my Dad even drove the Deuce, :D smilin' from ear to ear! Best of Luck to you my friend...Keep us posted :!:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My longest road trip in a deuce lasted 6 weeks and covered some 6,000 miles.
The main thing is not to have a deadline, take your time. I would also add that weather may be a factor.
I'm very comfortable in the truck, used ear plugs mostly, VIC-1 headsets are not a problem for me. Slept in the cab most of the time. Of the truck stops, I like "Flying J" the best.
Distance driven in a day varied from 200 to 550 miles or so.
Mountains will slow you down for sure.
I rather have lots of instrumentation to monitor than a radio, but that's just me.
Bring spare light bulbs and a spare headlight. A spare turn signal flasher is good to have also. Tools, tools and tools, I had 7 different sets of tool sets, including such things as a sheave puller for changing a generator. Oh,well Guess I should write a book...

Roll up the back of the cab top if you can for good ventilation, the firewall gets hot during a long run, so ventilation is the key.
Remember, no sun visors, so bring a baseball cap. A wide angle mirror on the passenger side is a must.

Stay in contact with the steelsoldiers during the trip, the best company to have. Good luck!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Figure your route ahead of time and go online and check out the truckstops along the way. Like Bjorn, I prefer the Flying J sites as they have just about everything for truck maintenance, greasy food and high volume fuel sales. You can check their prices and locations on line too. Most have a computer thing you can rent or you can purchase time on their WiFi system if you pack a laptop. It's also not a bad place to lay your head down for a few hours. The deuce is a pretty dependable vehicle. I've got lots of miles in them and never been stranded yet (hope I didn't curse myself). I always pack a cooler with refreshements in the cab. Also something I do and perhaps I'm weird for it but when I make stops for food and such, I try to pick exits that the road passes over the highway. The uphill ramps help in stopping and the down hilll entrance ramps help me merge better. Guess I do this from my many miles of towing 15,000# or better. Another thought is that Dave might be willing to switch the M109A3 body to the truck you are purchasing for a fee. For the most part, cargo trucks are an easier sell and Dave will work with you. It really sounds like an adventure and I'd love to do it. If I were single, I'd be doing a whole lot more deuce road trips. Oh yeah, make sure you get some phone numbers of SS members. You can always call with updates and problems and we can activate the membership trying to get you some help.

houdel

Re: cross country move

rwelker said:
This would be a trip to remember............ A good set of headphones that you can attach to a radio or cd player will stop the boredom.
Better stated, this WILL be a trip to remember!!!! As for the headphones, I've NEVER been bored driving the Deuce (course, I've never taken a 1900 mile trip either!)! As for the tingling hands, I wear those cotton work gloves with the little rubber nubbies on the palms and fingers and don't have a problem, and I'm old enough that just getting out of bed in the morning is a problem!

Here is my story - I bought my Deuce through GL from Selfridge ANG base in Mt Clemens, MI in February 2006. I was fortunate enough to be able to make contact with an ex-Army, now Air Force, base mechanic who pre-inspected the truck for me and declared it roadworthy, except for one battery with one dead cell. I bought the truck, went out there with spare fuel, anti freeze, oil, etc. The mechanic met me at the DRMO, jump started me, and I drove it 240 miles to home. It even had a full tank of fuel, so I drove it home on GI diesel. I put in one new battery, made a few minor repairs and have been driving it every few days since. It has never failed to start, it has ALWAYS got me where I wanted to go and ALWAYS got me back home again!

In fact, I just got home about 2 hours ago from a weekend Boy Scout camp out. It was in a State Game management area a ways from home, I had never been there before and had a poor set of directions to the camp site. I had my son and two other Scouts with me. Needless to say, we DIDN'T find the campsite on the first pass. We drove a couple of miles on Jeep or smaller trails until we finally found the camp site. My West Coast mirrors got folded up to the door glass, my 3 color vinyl cargo cover got all scraped up from driving between trees narrower than the Deuce (the trees gave way to the Deuce), and the boys and I had a blast! We finally found the camp site and had a great weekend! My Deuce started easier this AM than one of the adult leaders Ford diesel (temp this morning was about 40F). Once I got back on a real road I readjusted the mirrors, and a little bit of Krylon camo spray paint will fix the vinyl cargo cover.

As I and others have stated above:
1. Buy your truck ASAP.
2. Replace any fluids or belts that Eastern has not already replaced.
3. Drive it as much as you can before BEFORE your trip to work out any bugs.
4. Load up spare fluids and belts in an easily accessible location.
5. Wear hearing protection and nubbie gloves.
6. Smile and wave at everyone you pass, and enjoy the trip!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Single makes this much simpler, do you have anyone that would like to ride with you that would bring mechanical skills with them, i.e. brother, father? It would be a good time of bonding and getting to know a truck you most likelly will not sell. ( at least if you are like most of us the trucks grow on you) I have moved long distances with both the moving truck option and the duece and the diffence in space available has been accurately noted in a previous post. My moves with the biggest diesel Ryder where to move my entire family (Wife and four Children) The Duece move was on one of my Temporary Tours of Duty of one year where I had an apartment worth of stuff to move. The duece sounds like your best choice if you really want to keep it for the fun things you noted (Armegeddon will not be fun, but I will be with the rider on the white horse who will slay the multitudes that rise against him and I will not need my duece at that time) I would consider asking Eastern if they had a trailer that you could haul your car in or load the car in the duece and tow an M105 with your stuff in it.

And don't forget the digital camera to document it

ATC

Dont forget that driving with headphones, earplugs, earmuffls, ect....is illegal in many (if not all) states.

Good luck!

SQUIRL

So I've spent the weekend reading your posts, travel stories, plus manuals, grease schedules, and the like...
I've started running the early finance numbers... and mapping... and imagining the look on my sisters face when I stop for a visit!

You guys are seeming to confirm what I initially presumed about these trucks. That they are built tough, simple, and meant for the business... Antiques, well yes, but no less dependable for it (truck by truck basis of course). This is where I'm hoping that Dave is able to help give me more details about what's on his lot. I don't suppose that if this deal starts going through I could get a Philly deuce lover to go give her a once over? Although it seems like it's a long ways off (sell house sell!!) it's seeming more and more like a..... how do I phrase this.... Less INSANE endeavor!

Also, I'm leaning toward the full tarp cover truck. While it's not as good for moving, I like the lower center of gravity, lower height clearance, and versatility of the uses for the bed. While decking out the interior of the hard cab into camper/ support vehicle is intriguing, I'm concerned that it's height and high center of gravity may limit where I can travel. Any opinions? thoughts?

Chaplin: When the time comes, spare us heathens that drive deuces!!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A cargo truck is mighty useful to have, especially if you have a decent sized yard/property.

Home Despot and Lowe's are no strangers to my Deuce :D

You really wanna fill up the back of an M109 shop van with mulch?

More importantly, you wanna clean it out? :razz:

wolfmangk

Think about this, too. Rather than using an elaborate setup piggybacking the light system and running it via a 12v converter, why not remove the brake lgihts temporarily from the M35 and bolt them temporarily on the trailer? Then, all you're have to do is extend the wiring.

bugei

clinto, just did the lowes "drive through lumber yard" with my duece. he!! yeah, that was worth the price of admission right there. btw, 25 16' 2X4's were not a load. easy on, easy off, it does not get better than that!

and , squrl, hot chicks like big trucks, swear, i had to give a couple of hot blondes from england or austrailia or one of those funny talking places a ride around the parking lot. BUMMER :)

however, when my wife and i bumped into them later that evening at roller derby (small town), i thought i was going to be kilt. fortunatly, i had told her about them, and they had told their husbands, so all ended good. rides all around. the roller derby girls are now going to be using my duece for some "remotes" that they are doing. it sure sucks having a duece. hopefully, none of the girls will exceed the load limit which is according to my calculations 92 ballerinas at standard weight, or 74 competitive latin dancers.

good luck, and have a great adventure!

SQUIRL

After emailing Dave and asking (so, if you were to load a duece and drive 2000mi, what truck would you take?) he's recommending a truck that's a bit further out of my price range. In order to keep the credit card happy & as a safety in case everything on the trip goes wrong, I think I'm better off borrowing the purchase money for the truck & saving my cash for fuel, food, ect.

so....

Did any one here finance any part of their truck purchase? I'm currently looking into a few classic car finance companies, but don't know if they would finance a MV.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about insurance? I assume you'll have insurance on the deuce, but will you have regular or historic vehicle insurance? The latter seriously limits what you can do with the truck (i.e., what you can haul). You get in a wreck hauling your possessions around and I bet you will have violated your historic vehicle insurance, assuming that is what you have. What about tags? Will Dave send you the title before you come to get the truck so you can get tags on it?

SQUIRL

Insurance is the easy one. My allstate agent has been great with the coverage and with start stop dates for my Porsche. Tags shouldn't be a big deal either. In PA you don't even need to go to a DMV. Sooooo easy.... Pricey.... but NO lines!!!!

Hopefully Dave will be sending the title to a loan company, but as of yet I haven't found anyone to finance.....Still early, so the hunt continues. Anyone have a loan company the recommend? According to Dave the folks he knows that financed did so w/ commercial loans... I'm hoping for a collector car or RV loan.

Anyone want to save me some hassle and trade me a good m35a2 for my 1985 1/2 Porsche 944 52000 orig miles. Or....buy the car so I don't have to trailer it? House still for sale....